ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil do we bother ?

PB Clio 172
Done a quick search and nothing came up on this subject. I was just wondering what CS thought about changing the gearbox oil on their cars. I have just had mine changed and I told a few of my friends and all of them said why bother we don't. Its as important as a service in my eyes as I didnt have any service history with mine. I get the feeling most cannot be bothered. So do we change the gearbox oil on our cars on here? or do most of us leave it because we can't be assed? Thoughts please. Lets be honest too, no gearbox oil liers please ! :p

Evo 5 RS
It's not something you need to change regularly as the stuff is lethal but you shouldn't neglect it, especially if it's never been done as you'll probably have all sorts of shavings in there floating around. If you're not all that anal I'd say every 40-50k but it's up to you really.

It's a lot more important to have the right grade if not anything else, as they're pretty temperamental

PB Clio 172
good man how much is it costing and do you know what you will be using? My garage used Mobil 1 which I have been told was pretty good stuff. We all have our own likes and makes though.

172 cup
I went by opieoils recommendation when I changed mine (after 60k), but the gear changes are very stiff when cold now. To be honest I wish I just went for the Renault OE oil. I will put the Elf oil in when I get my gearbox reconditioned.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well worth putting a decent quality oil in the box IMHO and changing it every time you do the cambelt, especially if you are going to be driving at high rpm a lot

Can honestly say I've never done it on mine, and I have nothing in the 56k history to say it's been done.

I was thinking about this the other night though!

My mechanic bullshitted me saying you can't change gearbox oil on the Clio because its enclosed lol. He obv couldn't be bothered to do it.

Im getting my 106 done. No harm in doing it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My mechanic bulls**tted me saying you can't change gearbox oil on the Clio because its enclosed lol. He obv couldn't be bothered to do it.

Im getting my 106 done. No harm in doing it.

Some cars you cant really change it as there is no drain plug, but on a cliosport you can.

Renault Clio RS182
Did mine at 45k with the engine oil, it adds about 10 minutes to the job. Don't get why people don't do it especially with the reputation of the 'boxes.

PB Clio 172
Can honestly say I've never done it on mine, and I have nothing in the 56k history to say it's been done.

I was thinking about this the other night though!

you should your Clio will love you for it. I found my gear changes were a little smoother after I had changed mine ! Also you don't know the level of your gearbox. Whats if its low not good for the box.

Renault Clio Sport
Guys,all of you are just reccommending it being done,but get more technical,how many litres in a 182 clio sport?Also,what is the oil grade?80W90 or what?

BMW 535d
It wont disapear, its about how it degrades over time.

Its like engine oil, even though it is still in there, 20k old oil is no good for the engine as it doesnt have its lubricating properties like when it was new

Clio 172 Cup
Having mine done with the next mega service this spring. After about 50 to 60k its a wise thing to do to just refresh it if anything else. its had a hard life in there.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
have you looked at the renault service guidelines for the gearbox oil service intervals? it doesnt have any, LOL.

RB 182
Its like engine oil, even though it is still in there, 20k old oil is no good for the engine as it doesnt have its lubricating properties like when it was new

I wouldn't say its like engine oil as its not in an engine. Its only going to be bits of gearbox in there not contaminants from the combustion process, petrol etc.

Last edited:
  Alien Green 200
will be doing mine at some point my saxo's had gear oil changes as regular as the driveshafts broke. 5 changes in 4 months for my vtr haha

BMW 535d
I wouldn't say its like engine oil as its not in an engine. Its only going to be bits of gearbox in there not contaminants from the combustion process, petrol etc.

You try touching gearbox oil after sitting at 70mph. Your skin wont like it, so im sure the gearbox oil doesnt like it over and over again! It makes more difference than I think anyone realises actually

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
I went by opieoils recommendation when I changed mine (after 60k), but the gear changes are very stiff when cold now. To be honest I wish I just went for the Renault OE oil. I will put the Elf oil in when I get my gearbox reconditioned.

Completely agree with this. Put the cheaper gear oil in mine and have same problems.

Next time it is drained shall be putting the expensive oil in!

Mental 172 Cup
Change mine every year on service..

Run ATF, amazing stuff..the box is so smooth..

Well worth the frequent change..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I bet the gear oil in most cars would last as long as the clutch anyway.

Define "last" though?
Do you mean before you've used it all up through minor leaks, or do you mean before the enormous compressive forces between the cogs as the oil is squeezed out under load brakes it down and makes it less effective than when new? Not to mention the metal swarf that turns it from a lubricant into a grinding paste?

I guess I need to do mine then. But I would really like to know if I really should stick to the Renault supplied Elf or go for something equally expensive but works even better.... I've heard it's a good idea to go for a slightly more viscous 75w 90 - is that right?

Basically, it want to make sure it shifts at least as good as it does currently, as I've no selection problems, just a slight whine in corners at high revs/overrun. I've been annoyed with previous cars when I've renewed the 'box oil (just because it was probably overdue) and then found the shifting to feel more notchy and reluctant.:S

Evo 5 RS
Honestly I'd always stick with the Elf stuff, these boxes are so cantankerous I wouldn't risk straying if you want it to last. It's not a good idea at all to use 75-90, it's just that it's cheaper than the ELF NFJ 75W80. Which is what Renault specify.

I've used other brands in the past and found that especially from cold - the boxes are stiff as hell. I know that's a characteristic of Renault boxes anyway but it was amplified. I've just always found the NFJ 75W80 to be the best oil.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Mines had it's 4th lot since I've had the car from new. After the first swapout, the gearchange was SO much better.

Shocks me slightly that so few people consider having it done. Gears grind and wear! ;)

D.

330i. E30 Touring.
I've always used Halfords gear oil 75w80. £27 for 3L, and I've always found it top stuff.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I've just done the 1.4 and was shocked, it looked like metallic paint and it was black ! clearly never been changed in it's life !

Impreza Wagon
I've done mine recently and the old stuff looked ok, not sure on when it was last done though. Also did a change on my friends Ph1 172 and it solved a gearbox whine problem (for now) with some fresh oil.

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
There isnt a space in the service book for stamps showing gear oil changes for no reason....

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Anyoneheard of royal purple, im going to get mine changed with that stuff, meant to be the best