ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox oil leak

clio172 sport
hi there, i bought a 172 sport 2 months ago and i'm delighted with it, but, yesterday i noticed oil on the drive, there is oil dripping from the bottom of the gearbox where it's joined to the engine, it seems to be coming from inside the box, (from the fly wheel area).
i take it there must be a seal gone?
any ideas what it's likey to be?
take it i will have to remove the box?? :(
cheers.

Its common for them to leak. All of them do to some degree.

If its nothing much just top the gearbox up ever now and again.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I drove with a small leak on my 172 gearbox for a couple of months. I'd take it somewhere to be looked at as it's now being rebuilt so I have no car and no money!

80MPG BEEZA
i know from looking under a few that most leak very little from the selector area just keep it topped up

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Same thing happened on g/f's punto, slight gear box oil leak, but got worse and worse... Found out it was coming from the drive shaft seal, got a new one, leak went, then came back, changed seal once more. Seemed fixed, g/f driving car with friend, massive pop car cuts out and empties gearbox oil onto road. Took back to garage, something up with the shaft in the end, but could be something to do with that seal?

Just make sure you get a part number if you are gonna change it, dealers don't seem to know it exists. Fiat dealer parts desk asked me to bring down the old part so he could see what it was!!!!!

"Navy" N17 TWO
I drove with a small leak on my 172 gearbox for a couple of months. I'd take it somewhere to be looked at as it's now being rebuilt so I have no car and no money!

Have a small leak from mine at the moment
Any way of stopping it from getting worse & curing it for good?

"Navy" N17 TWO
^^

Is it at all possible this has sorted itself somehow?

Mine was leaking onto the road, the dealers I have a warranty with cleaned it up & took a look.
They said they would need to get authorisation from the warranty company to strip the gearbox and fix a seal.
That being at least a fortnight ago, I have kept an eye on the ground under the car for dribbles etc.

Nothing seems to be dripping now :S

Monaco 172
Lucas gear box additive, stops leaks by expanding rubber seals. i used it as i had the leak coming form the gear selector.