ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil leak

LY R26 #288
I noticed when I was changing my oil and filter last time that there was a bit of oil over the gear linkage where it joins the box. Didn't think much of it but the other day I saw there is oil on top of the box as well.

Looks like it might be coming from where the box joins the bell housing. Is this a common issue?

330 Ci
The bottom of my linkage is always slightly wet and doesn't appear to be leaking from anywhere (its been like this for a while) that I can see so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If your worried Change the oil, replace the sump plug O-ring and see if it still does it.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Mine leaks since I bought it 3 years ago, still going. But I will need to pull the gbox off soon, the 3rd gear synchro is starting to go, I wouldnt worry about it until something else needs doing. Mine only leaks a little though

172/1.2/E30
Leaking selector shaft seal is quite common. Box needs to be split to fix it properly. As long as it is not losing litres of oil don´t worry.

Lionel Richie
^not anymore it doesn't, there's a repair kit available for about £30, easy to fit too and the gearbox stays in the car, take about an hour to do

LY R26 #288
Awesome thanks for the info. It can only be a slight leak there's never anything much on the under tray.

Any more info on this repair kit?

Lionel Richie
i'll stick the part number up tomorrow, its actually for the JB3/JB1 box, but it fits the JC5 perfectly as they use the same selector

DAR

172 Cup toy
Update

Part number to cure Selector Oil leak, I fitted mine with the telephone help of Fred (cheers Fred!).

770 138 9670 - seal repair kit. £35. bit fiddly, as you have assemble it around the selector shaft after cutting the old seal off, then press it in and bingo!

derv biege barge
Just like to add:

I fitted this repair kit about two weeks ago.

Stopped the selector leaking but gearstick feels firmer and sometimes does not return to neutral under its own springback action, although does seem to be getting better daily. The fitting instructions did state this may happen and said should return to normal after a few days, my experience more like a few weeks. No regrets though glad I did it. Cheers for the info people.

Will2010T

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio MK2 PH2 172
Mine leaks since I bought it 3 years ago, still going. But I will need to pull the gbox off soon, the 3rd gear synchro is starting to go, I wouldnt worry about it until something else needs doing. Mine only leaks a little though
U mean a little how much ?