ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Oil

www.renparts.co.uk
Plannning on changing my gearbox oil soon.

its a 1.4 16v engine, any idea what volume it holds?

What does everyone recommend, nothing expensive if possible, also readily available and decent quality, something to make the shift bit slicker than the standard Renault stuff.
ta
josh

Under 5 liters 3.5 I think from memory.
I'm going to use Miller 75/90 I've used it before and it was better then gaain Renault boxes aren't good anyway. ALso I've got some.
If I didn't have it I'd go for the royal purple but its £50 or so.

www.renparts.co.uk
edde said:
Under 5 liters 3.5 I think from memory.
I'm going to use Miller 75/90 I've used it before and it was better then gaain Renault boxes aren't good anyway. ALso I've got some.
If I didn't have it I'd go for the royal purple but its £50 or so.

is this miller what you recommend i get? i thought about royal purple but its just too expensive imo.

joshydee said:
is this miller what you recommend i get? i thought about royal purple but its just too expensive imo.
I'd get Royal purple and forget about the cost Millers is almost as good but not quite as good.

www.renparts.co.uk
edde said:
I'd get Royal purple and forget about the cost Millers is almost as good but not quite as good.

great idea, it doesn't quite grow on trees when im a student im afraid though.. What price can i pick this miller up and where from mate?

joshydee said:
great idea, it doesn't quite grow on trees when im a student im afraid though.. What price can i pick this miller up and where from mate?
£40 or so from Demon Tweeks.
There no point chnaging it till you get to 70k or so minimum.

www.renparts.co.uk
edde said:
They don't anyway.
Blip the throttle on the down shift.

thanks for the driving lesson but i always do anyway its something thats cropped up as of recent. Im just gonna change it at some point anyway. if its better oil i should notice some difference.
ta
josh

joshydee said:
thanks for the driving lesson but i always do anyway its something thats cropped up as of recent. Im just gonna change it at some point anyway. if its better oil i should notice some difference.
ta
josh
Sorry didn't mean to sounds like your stupid.
Just saying most people don't do it.
It won't make a whole load of difference it will make it better though just don't expect a VAG like change.

BMW M135i
Changed mine when I rebuilt the gearbox, made quite a big difference to the change its dead smooth now. That was only with bog standard 75-80 castrol stuff.
Off the top of my head it holds 3.5l I think.

Clio 1.2 Campus 4 speed!
edde said:
Sorry didn't mean to sounds like your stupid.
Just saying most people don't do it.
It won't make a whole load of difference it will make it better though just don't expect a VAG like change.
I havent up til now, but I will from now on cause I get problems getting it into 1st.. and 3rd... and reverse... and out of second. Infact I imagine wrestling a bear to be easier than using my car atm. Ho hum :$

Monaco Blue Mk2
^ PMSL...1st ,2nd, 3rd, reverse...at least 4th's ok eh!?

Mine can also be a bit of a bugger into 1st when moving, only on 50odd thousand but was thinking of doing box oil soonish.

BMW M135i
My old 51 plate 1.2 had 36k on it and the syncro on 1st was completely non co-operative, wouldn't go in at all whilst moving until it'd had about 30mins to warm up. 2nd started getting stiff to get in too towards the end, was one of the reasons I got shot of it didn't fancy sorting it out. Changing the gearbox oil in that made little difference so the syncros were on their way.

al

ST on the way...
joshydee said:
synchro aint feeling to smooth when going back into 1st when moving, ie traffic lights etc.
ta
josh

Ditto, mines like that at mo, might try changing box oil too, being as it's done 37k.

Asked gaz what he thought today while we we're out (he did a couple of gear changes) and agreed it didn't feel right.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive done 122k on the standard gearbox oil might change it this weekend, but would be better waiting untill ive done the gearbox mount first so i can feel if the oil makes a difference as changing gears is a bit of a mission with this fuked gearbox mount lol

i cant get mine into first when coming up to roundabouts etc unless i push it quite hard, mums 05 plate is the same though!