ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox problems on 172

V

vavagone

i lost my reverse last night once i put it in gear didnt no sound good at all do these cars have many gear box problems?

where can i get another box recon or new. and how much is it gonna cost?

cheers olly

C

clio172cup20

Renault brakers yard, to a search on here theres quite a few posts.
About £100 - £150 ish...
Easy to fit too!!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The gearbox is one of the known problem areas.

You can be lucky and never have a problem.

Or you can be one of the significant number who do.

Sorry how much you reckon it would be to refurb a gearbox?? 150 quid?

Im sure i heard mike, rentech or someone like that say it would be more like 450/500 quid

not sure but im just intrested also

Thats what i thought, im also pretty sure they cost around that much to get second hand, gearbox problems are never going to be that cheap to sort out mate. better get a quote of someone who knows

V

vavagone

oh ball's!! is the another gear box that will fit maybe a 6 speed?? :D

vavagone said:
oh ball's!! is the another gear box that will fit maybe a 6 speed?? :D
Yozzasport do a 6 speed conversion into the stock 172/182 gearbox but the normal 6 speedo from Meggys etc won't fit. You need the bottom end of the 2.0 engine as well but its not a bad idea to upgrade to this as its stronger for turbo work than the 172 bottom end.

Matt Black had one Mk1 phase 1 172 gearbox I got the impresion it was a cancelled order so not a common price but he has second hand boxes and can get new boxes cheap.

80MPG BEEZA
edde said:
Yozzasport do a 6 speed conversion into the stock 172/182 gearbox but the normal 6 speedo from Meggys etc won't fit. You need the bottom end of the 2.0 engine as well but its not a bad idea to upgrade to this as its stronger for turbo work than the 172 bottom end.

Matt Black had one Mk1 phase 1 172 gearbox I got the impresion it was a cancelled order so not a common price but he has second hand boxes and can get new boxes cheap.

are these brand fire new boxes?

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
I paid £250 for one out of a scrapper after I blew the crown wheel out of both sides of it - 16k on clock..... was a tw*t to fit too.... ok now - for the time being :)

Batman said:
are these brand fire new boxes?
Matt can get hold of new boxes but since he works at a breakers yard he has more used ones from broken cars.
His user name is Matt Black on here but ring him instead as he gets to many Pm's
01254 386661 is his number and ask for Matt as there a few people who work there.

V

vavagone

i gotta quote 440 for a recon one, and bout 400 for labours and vat on top!!

throttle bodied mk2 172
FredYozzasport said:
we can offer a rebuild service for the JC5 gearbox for £350+vat
i am going to rebuild mine too.is it worthy to rebuild or get a good second hand one?

80MPG BEEZA
FredYozzasport said:
we can offer a rebuild service for the JC5 gearbox for £350+vat

does this include taking the box out and putting it back in?as i may come down your way for that

80MPG BEEZA
edde said:
Nope not at that price.
aww bumber man i thought i'd got onto one hell of a deal there :( i think i'll wait maybe try and pick up a brand new box, is the jc5 the ph-quick model box? as that what i wanna go for and replace all bearing and uprate clutch at the same time

172 cup'd extreme
phase quick is the JC5-089 the 172 is JC5-129 and the 182 is JC5-130.
Mark, what problems are you having with your current box?

V

vavagone

got a bit of a bargin my box is getting done for free fitting and all result!!!:D