ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Refresh, looking for overhaul kit

Clio RS172 Ph2
Hello all,

Currently I am rebuilding my gearbox. It is off the car already and disassembled. Now I am looking for all the parts needed and found the following kit (OEM Renault) which includes bearings, seals and all the synchros.

Is there somebody who can see if this is the right kit for my box? I have a Clio 172 Phase 2 with a JC5-130.

Hope someone can help me with this. Maybe somebody can look it up in the Renault Dialogys software?

Regards,
Gerben

Clio RS172 Ph2
Thats awesome, let me know please! I am at work on this moment, but I will look up the full gearbox code for you tonight.

I am afraid that the partnumber I posted belongs to the JC8-089. The shopI found linked this part number to the Clio RS from 2000 until 2004, so the Ph1 and Ph2 (which is not possible because they use a different gearbox).

Last edited:
  Clio RS172 Ph2
Guys, stupid question maybe, but how can I tag a member in my post? Like for example NorthloopCup tagged me in his last post?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thats awesome, let me know please! I am at work on this moment, but I will look up the full gearbox code for you tonight.

I am afraid that the partnumber I posted belongs to the JC8-089. The shopI found linked this part number to the Clio RS from 2000 until 2004, so the Ph1 and Ph2 (which is not possible because they use a different gearbox).
The 130 box runs a different input shaft seal and bearings mate. Other than that it's the same as the 129. The 089 has a different ratio 5th gear.

The 130 box runs a different input shaft seal and bearings mate. Other than that it's the same as the 129. The 089 has a different ratio 5th gear.

That's note quite true. They all have the same 5th gear, it's just that the 089 has a different ratio FD.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@Gerben Visser the part number for the full rebuild kit you require is: 3201 043 88R

The item on the right of the picture is the large overhaul kit with bearings and synchros, but the item on the left is only a basic one with synchros and seals.
image.jpg
I can get the large kit for around £270 (gbp).

Hope that helps.

Clio RS172 Ph2
@NorthloopCup

Awesome, I am going to take a look if I can find something in the Netherlands. If not, I will contact you about the kit.

Do you also have the possibility to look up to which model 7701472395 belongs to? (So the part number I found)

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it a lot!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@NorthloopCup

Awesome, I am going to take a look if I can find something in the Netherlands. If not, I will contact you about the kit.

Do you also have the possibility to look up to which model 7701472395 belongs to? (So the part number I found)

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it a lot!
The kit you found is only compatible with the 089 and some 129's mate. They are speedo drive gearboxes for reference.

No worries bud. Any stress just give me a shout.

Clio RS172 Ph2
@NorthloopCup

Back again! I have ordered the kit at my Renault dealer (32 01 043 88R), but it does not look right.

I need the parts (both) on the left (JC5-130 according the arrow), but in the kit is the part which is on the right (JC5-089). Also the supplied bearing is wrong, I need the one from the left, but there is only a smaller bearing in my kit (not on the picture):

8783-new_2009-08-14-p1010333.jpg

Also, I don`t have the sealed bearing from this pic (which is a ball bearing), there is only a open roll bearing in the kit (so with rolls instead of balls). I am talking about the bearing on the left:

8783-new_2009-06-29-11_copy.jpg

Somebody knows what happened? I can order the missing parts, but why is it not in the kit from Renault? They called already with Renault France, but there is no kit which contains all the right parts, strange?

Pictures are from a other thread and it is not the same gearbox, but they show the right parts which I am talking about.

Gerben

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@NorthloopCup

Back again! I have ordered the kit at my Renault dealer (32 01 043 88R), but it does not look right.

I need the parts (both) on the left (JC5-130 according the arrow), but in the kit is the part which is on the right (JC5-089). Also the supplied bearing is wrong, I need the one from the left, but there is only a smaller bearing in my kit (not on the picture):

8783-new_2009-08-14-p1010333.jpg

Also, I don`t have the sealed bearing from this pic (which is a ball bearing), there is only a open roll bearing in the kit (so with rolls instead of balls). I am talking about the bearing on the left:

8783-new_2009-06-29-11_copy.jpg

Somebody knows what happened? I can order the missing parts, but why is it not in the kit from Renault? They called already with Renault France, but there is no kit which contains all the right parts, strange?

Pictures are from a other thread and it is not the same gearbox, but they show the right parts which I am talking about.

Gerben
Well that doesn't make sense! At all! Going from the gearbox code you sent me, that should've had all the correct parts in it.
The jc5 130 has the sealed bearing and bearing/seal arrangement for the input shaft (which you are missing).
It's only the main shaft that has the taper bearings so you can shim it to set the preload.

Clio RS172 Ph2
@NorthloopCup

For your information, I did not give my dealer the partnumber I found over here. They came up with the same partnumber as you gave me, without telling them.

And all the parts for the input shaft are wrong indeed. I have a bearing and seal for the input shaft, but not the good ones. So there is something in the kit, but not what I need.

To bad, but I have the numbers so I can order them separately.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@NorthloopCup

For your information, I did not give my dealer the partnumber I found over here. They came up with the same partnumber as you gave me, without telling them.

And all the parts for the input shaft are wrong indeed. I have a bearing and seal for the input shaft, but not the good ones. So there is something in the kit, but not what I need.

To bad, but I have the numbers so I can order them separately.
I'm just going through this now as I need a few parts to do a refresh on a box, so your misfortune has been my gain in this instance, as I would've ordered the large overhaul kit!

Clio 182
I have a complete genuine rebuild kit for a jc5 130 (32 01 043 88r)
if its any help for part numbers etc
It also for sale to as I don't need it!
Mine has also got the part on the right (77 00 859 126)

Clio RS172 Ph2
@Matt9076 Thanks mate, but I have all the parts I need already. Very strange that the kit contains JC5-089 parts, I had the same problem.

Small question, maybe @NorthloopCup again? I am sorry for bothering you, but it seems that you know a lot about gearboxes.

retainers.jpg

The springs above (number 22), do they have the same partnumbers? I have 3 grey springs and 1 black spring, it are the old ones because I don`t have them new. Does it mather were I put the black one or are they all the same?

Regards,
Gerben

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@Matt9076 Thanks mate, but I have all the parts I need already. Very strange that the kit contains JC5-089 parts, I had the same problem.

Small question, maybe @NorthloopCup again? I am sorry for bothering you, but it seems that you know a lot about gearboxes.

retainers.jpg

The springs above (number 22), do they have the same partnumbers? I have 3 grey springs and 1 black spring, it are the old ones because I don`t have them new. Does it mather were I put the black one or are they all the same?

Regards,
Gerben
Hi Gerben. The grey ones are used for the reverse shaft, 1st and 2nd selector and 3rd and 4th selector. The black one is used in the 5th gear shaft. God knows why because they're all the f**king same! Lol!
Little tip - get some 12mm bolts to hold the spring and ball bearings in place for 1/2 & 3/4 selector shafts on reassembly. Life is made substantially easier!

Clio RedBull Edition
I recently purchased the kit here in South Africa and I received the same 32 01 043 88R but it has the same issues with the missing and incorrect parts. Can anyone assist me with the correct partnumbers for missing parts please guys. Thank you in advance @NorthloopCup @Gerben Visser

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Hi all,
So for a full rebuild of a 130 gearbox do I need the 32 01 043 88R. I found with this part number only on pure motorsport website. Does it come with another part number from Renault?
Thanks
@NorthloopCup

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hi all,
So for a full rebuild of a 130 gearbox do I need the 32 01 043 88R. I found with this part number only on pure motorsport website. Does it come with another part number from Renault?
Thanks
@NorthloopCup
That kit only does bearings, synchros and seals. You'll almost certainly require gears as well. Then some of the synchros in that kit won't be any good as they've changed the design of them for 1st and 2nd gear.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
So, the best way is to find a good working order gearbox? Or what would be all the parts needed? Could I find just the 1st and 2nd synchro and new gears?
Sorry for so many question, I just want to make my car run again:)
@NorthloopCup
Thanks,
Radu