ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox replacement.

Clio Sport 172
hi lads the selector on my gearbox has failed so im trhing to source a new gearbox asap. thr car is a 172 phase 2 on an 02 plate. does the 182 model use the same gearbox as ive found 1 off an 04 plate 182. also will the speedo drive be cable on my car or ran of the abs? cheers

AB Clio 182 FF
check your gearbox at the back mate if you look down the back of the engine bay just to the right of the engine , thats where the speedo sensor should be if you have one , u cant miss it .
iirc the 182's are non speedo , so if yours is speedo driven then chances are the 182 gearbox wont fit ,im not 110% on this though , im sure someone will correct me if im wrong :) my car is on axels stands while my gearbox is currently being refurbed :(

Clio Sport 172
cheers for the reply mate. yes mine has the black speedo sensor in the box. its a 3 pin connector with a heat shield that clips onto it. im presuming this is the speedo drive unit?! i need to clear this up before i buy this 182 box tommorow. its from an 04 plate 182 the donor gearbox.... failing that does anybody have a gearbox for sale for a 172 02 plate? cash waiting thanks

AB Clio 182 FF
yes mate thats the speed sensor , i know for sure my 182 is a non speedo gearbox , have you tried searching on here for some answers

Clio Sport 172
yes mate i have trawled through lots of old posts but still cant find a definate answer to this. few people have said in past posts that there car has the speedo drive in box however there car still picks up the speed pulse of the abs rings this was also on an 02 model year 172. need to find out by tommorow as got 100 mike round trip to get this box so want it to be right lol

Megane dci 130
Just disconnect the speedo drive from the gearbox and take it for a spin (if you can). If the speedo still works, the pulse is picked up from the abs. If not, you need to find a gearbox with a speedo drive.

AB Clio 182 FF
jus had a quick look , it appears that the 182 boxes are all defo non speedo , but as for them working in your car mate i cant really help , wow 100 miles thats a bit of a trek to get a gearbox , is there none closer to home ?

Clio Sport 172
aye car still drives so i will disconnect it tomorrow and see if its ran of the abs ring. yep im from newcastle mate and cant find any closer to home u fortunatly :( cheers for ya help lads much appreciated ;)

Clio Sport 172
cheers lads. my box is a jc5-129 and the donor box i found was a jc5-130 out a 182 04 plate. i need a working speedo as my lass drivers the car aswell and the speeding tickets will soon mount up ha! is there anyway to ise the 182 box and get the speedo to work aswell?