ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox? Somethings not right.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Accelerating the car quite hard up a hill, a clunk noise followed by a tinkling of something rolling along the road, and i pulled over as car didnt seem right.
I walked the road and found a long bolt about 7cms long on the road. Not sure if i went over it, or it came off the car.
The car doesnt drive right, and when pulling away in gear it feels like the gearbox jerks/clunks quite sharply, as the torque kicks in
As said, the car drives, no abnormal engine noise on idle, and havent had chance to look under car properly yet, but its not right.
Any suggestions other than get it on a ramp, and getting someone who knows what theyre doing to have a look?

Dont want to drive it and cause more damage.
Guess: Dogbone issue?

Last edited:

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Bolt doesnt look broken. Looks like it just come undone and fallen off. thats if its my bolt
Can i get to have a look at the gearbox mount easy- just to check

monaco 172
Yeo. My guess would be one of the 2 bolts holding the dogbone Mount on.

Under the car you will see a dogbone sort of thing which twists in the middle. 1 bolt should be aiming straight up and at the other end its held on with a long bolt and a nut

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Yes- will get a pic of the bolt up later. I reckon its that- now to buy a set of ramps to get the car up on them
Recommendations- always liked those heavy duty polystyrene type ones.... but pricey

Be nice to have ones i can bolt into the tarmac road surface to stop them slipping

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Bolt doesnt look broken. Looks like it just come undone and fallen off. thats if its my bolt
Can i get to have a look at the gearbox mount easy- just to check
remove the battery and you're looking at the mount, the bolt I mean is the tapered one in the middle of the rubber bit.
If it is broken also check the hole in the tripod on the gearbox hassn't gone oval...otherwise the new bolt will just break aswell (this will mean removing the batterymount)

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
DSCN2930_zpsoc1bcmyk.jpg

330i. E30 Touring.
That's not the main dogbone bolt. The 18mm one anyway.

Could well be the 16mm one that mounts it to the subframe, but doubtful that would work it's way out..

What size is the head?

330i. E30 Touring.
If it's a 16mm head, it could be from anywhere in that area. Could be one of the ones that mount the gearbox spider to the box itself..

or could be one that bolts the box to the block, but there are so many doing that, you probably wouldn't notice it missing.

My bet, either gearbox mount spider bracket to box, or dogbone to subframe.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
That's not the main dogbone bolt. The 18mm one anyway.

Could well be the 16mm one that mounts it to the subframe, but doubtful that would work it's way out..

What size is the head?
Bolt head is 15mm hex, might not be my bolt. seems strange as it was in middle of road, back tho

330i. E30 Touring.
Nothing in that area is a 15mm. Always a chance someone could have replaced the original 16mm's with one of these though.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Set of ramps then. Said to the wife i wanted a house with a garage 4 yr ago. I made the compromise.......

Looked at one bungalow, double garage, with pit.. wife no like :-(

PH2 172
Set of ramps then. Said to the wife i wanted a house with a garage 4 yr ago. I made the compromise.......

Looked at one bungalow, double garage, with pit.. wife no like :-(

I`d expect the threads to be damaged if it had worked its way out the dogbone.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Will remeasure the bolt

Working on the premise the bolt is not off the car, is there anything other than dogbone which would make the "torque lurch clunk" when pulling thru gears?

Engine mounts, will check thegearbox fixings. Anything else to look at when under.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Got car up on axles stands, having a look around
In these photos, just in front of the dogbone (Yellow bushes) there is quite a shiny threaded hole.... would that be where the bolt come form? Shall i just screw it back in... any advice

cant see anything else hanging down, or out of place.

ED: its close to the drivers side drive shaft that was replaced couple months back. Wonder if its something they didnt tighten up>

Thanks

DSCN2939_zpsowj4ybnp.jpg

This photo its a bit more clear- can paintbox circle the hole if you wish

DSCN2940_zps31omaipe.jpg

330i. E30 Touring.
The black bracket the dogbone bolts to at the gearbox end should have 2x bolts holding it on.. I can see one of them, check the other is still there...

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
will have a look around. cheers
Makes me think the guys that sorted the driveshaft may have something to do with the issue

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
they shouldn't of needed to touch anything engine mount related, or anything inboard of the hub really for a drivers side shaft change
the bolt does look a bit like one of the ones that holds the black bracket to the gearbox, but never heard of one of those working loose before

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Cor -, theres me trying to sort my own stuff (With you guys help) . Just about there, and blew it
Garage just phoned to say an engine bolt come out, and its the one i gave them
Wonder how much they are gonna charge, especially as i reckon they left it loose couple month back........

will post up later

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Cars back to being fab and beastie. Havent checked (Getting dark) that they put the bolt back in the dogbone bracket. will do that tomorrow.

Wanted to charge me £20, as it happened (Honest) only had £15 in my pocket. He took that and no receipt ;-)
Had a good chat, they liked the car " Very torque, almost went of the end of the lift" LOL.
Seem keen to do any work i need, bar engine rebuilds.

Lesson learned, wait for a reply from you guys. Thanks
Just gotta get to know the car i spose.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
£20 just to stick a bolt in?? bunch of sperm donors!!!!
Take your point, but they stuck it on a lift, had a guy look around for 10 minutes, even if they had charged me nothing I would have given them £10 for a drink

More peed off bout the warm satisfying glow i didnt get after a succesful fault find and cure.... :-(
almost.......... not quite