ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox Sync Cure

Custom Production

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Can anybody offer a solution to the dreaded crunching when changing in high revs
My 182 2005 on 65k crunches into 2nd and 3rd going up and down, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to what gbox oil i can use that might help or even cure this ? A close friend claims he ran ATF fluid in his and it sorted it although im a little unsure about it. Im planning on tracking the car this year and could do with sorting this problem so any advice will be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If you run atf in a jc5 box it will ruin all the remaining synchros. It's f**king awful stuff. I know because I've had the misfortune of rebuilding one that was running on atf.

A rebuild is THE only option as stated above.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Brilliant news ha
Thanks for the help guys, what sort of money are we looking for a rebuild ?
Depends how bad it is inside tbh mate, but is it crunching into 2nd and 3rd? Or just 3rd? Reason I ask is because if it's crunching into 2nd your into £170+ vat for replacement parts. You can no longer get the original synchros so it's a complete replacement 1st and 2nd gear assembly!! I keep some of the old type synchros on the shelf for the rebuilds I do. If it's just 3rd gear crunching it'll need a new 3rd gear, synchro and selector hub. It will have no doubt chewed 4th gear as well, so your into another couple of hundred for those bits. I keep some good condition spares of these on the shelf as well for when I rebuild them.

Drop me a pm if you want to know more mate. :up:

Custom Production

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Thank you for that. I'm planning on doing a track day with it how it is so I'm hoping it holds up ok till after that when I'll make a descision what I'm going to do with it. What gear oil would you recommend using as I'm going to replace it before the track ?
Thanks again

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thank you for that. I'm planning on doing a track day with it how it is so I'm hoping it holds up ok till after that when I'll make a descision what I'm going to do with it. What gear oil would you recommend using as I'm going to replace it before the track ?
Thanks again
Well if the box has got to come out to be replaced/repaired I'd just run it on the Renault stuff mate.