ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox trouble, 172 cup

Renault Clio 172
Think i've broke a tooth somewhere in the gearbox as its been making an awful banging noise when driving and jams up when setting off.. it happened last week when i put my foot down in 3rd gear so i just drove home steady and ive managed to have a look at it today.

Symptoms are: loud mettallic rattle when driving, crunches badly into 3rd without double clutching, rattles when in neutral with the clutch up but does not do it when stationary with the clutch down.
If anyone can think what might be wrong with it opinions are welcome.

The gearbox code is a jb1 so its obviously had a gearbox change sometime before in its life as ive been told it should have a jc5 129 fitted

So far ive got the box ready to come out through the bottom, everything disconnected from the box apart from the upper mount, i just need to drop the subframe i think. I have read that i can leave the rack in place and remove the pinch bolt at the bottom of the column but it looks like a pain to get to the pinch bolt so woulf it be easier removing the rack from the subframe?

Any help is appreciated

Cheers!

330i. E30 Touring.
Either box has eaten itself, or clutch/clutch release bearing problem. If the latter, it'll be evident when you slide the box off...

Re: removal, yep, drop subframe down on passenger side and slide the box out through the wheel arch. Pinch bolt is an awkward fucker, but do-able. Needs a second set of eyes to re-fit. Either that, or remove rack from subframe with 4x 16mm bolts. Can do it with the rack left on, but it's tight that way, so if it's your first time, unbolt the rack..

dan's cast offs.
go in from drivers side wheel arch. dead easy even on the floor...not that i do that sort of thing anymore!!!

Renault Clio 172
Thanks for the replys!

@Budgie i think its something internal as when i removed the n/s driveshaft there was loads of metal filings in the boot, couldnt tell if there was any when i drained the oil though..
All i have left to do is sort the rack out and drop the subframe then its ready to come out

@bloke when i looked through the wheel arch earlier it looked like a squeeze to get to it that way, it looks easier to get it from underneath between the subframe and floor? I will listen to any advice though as ive never done the gearbox on a clio before

Renault Clio 172
Dont know when im gona get time to go at it again tom so ive just soaked the subframe bolts for now, should have it out in no time once ive got the pinch bolt out and subframe dropped then need to find the correct gearbox for the car thats in decent condition

RB Clio 182
Dont know when im gona get time to go at it again tom so ive just soaked the subframe bolts for now, should have it out in no time once ive got the pinch bolt out and subframe dropped then need to find the correct gearbox for the car thats in decent condition

Theres usually some in the for sale section on here mate.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Try Ebay as well, but avoid Renparts as their prices are almost like buying a reconditioned one direct from Renault (and they'll send out the wrong one!). Best of luck.