ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox - wont go into 1st after reversing

Clio Sport 172
Hi,
Recently purchased a Clio Sport 02 - I'm unfamiliar with them.

After going into reverse, it becomes difficult to shift into gear again, usually takes a couple of tries - sometimes more - and after clutching in serval times as well.
Also, another issue related to the gearbox is the shifter has some slack in it

Can someone point me in the right direction on the causes and how to fix them?
Thanks.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
may just need the linkage adjusting correctly, search on here, theres a guide somewhere on how to logically go about it. not difficult really but some people seem to find it a bit of a fiddle

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Could be that your dog bone bush(s) are worn, or other engine/box mounts - if the engine is moving forwards while you reverse it would change where 1st is, possibly by more than the lever throw. So check mounts and linkage bushes.

Clio Sport 172
I think it might be the bushings, I need to take it apart and find out what the issue is

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
Happened with mine all the time, I put it in 2nd then back into 1st and went in everytime doing that, it seems common with them

Clio Sport 172
Happened with mine all the time, I put it in 2nd then back into 1st and went in everytime doing that, it seems common with them
Its so awkward coz people will be looking and thinking 'wth is this kid doing'

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
Yep I got the Clio for the missus as her first car and that gearbix didn't help [emoji23]

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Hi,
Recently purchased a Clio Sport 02 - I'm unfamiliar with them.

After going into reverse, it becomes difficult to shift into gear again, usually takes a couple of tries - sometimes more - and after clutching in serval times as well.
Also, another issue related to the gearbox is the shifter has some slack in it

Can someone point me in the right direction on the causes and how to fix them?
Thanks.

From your description, this selector spring may have failed from wear.

1604867823910.png