ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gearbox...

everynow and agin, when I engage first gear on my new 172, there seems to be a slight clunk as if there is movment in the box, i have read recently about loose gearbix mountings etc, but if this was the case would it make this noise everytime, if it is the mountings can I tighten the scews myself>?

Jesus, even the BRAND NEW ones do this? even after all of our whinging for 2 and a half years!

Unfortunately admob, this seems to be another ridiculous "feature" of this car mate. I have it, and many others do to.. and i have one of the first new shape 172s in the country fron 2001.

I have never received admition from Renault that the problem exists, if indeed it is a problem, and dealers say that it is normal, and the usual bullsh*t "no fault found"

Si.

You can get to engine/box mounting bolts quiet easily if you get under the near side of the car. The one which seems to be the most frequent cause of knocking is under the battery, close to the N/S front wheel and connects to the chassis, you need a longish socket for this. Sounds like this may not be your problem, but worth checking anyway.

111s

Yeah, mines does it too. When it went in for a service i asked renault to look at it. They said there was no problem. I can only assume its a characteristic of the box.

admob, i had the same problem that your having now. I took my car to Renault they had it for a day and phoned me up on my mobile and they told me it was a characteristic fault and they had 2 172s in the showroom and both were exactly the same, and i told them i am stood in the compound at work, with about 70 172s in and not one of them are the same. He then said they would change the gearbox oil to see if that would make a difference, i told him that this had already been done and there was no difference, So when i told him i worked for Reno he said as a good will gesture they would replace the gearbox with a brand new one. Its been spot on since last March.

Paul