ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox

After some help if possible.

Have a 2002 Clio 172 which I have had the problems with the driveshaft circlip into the gearbox.

This was welded in to avoid future issues.

The other day I lost all drive and garage have informed me that gearbox and clutch are knackered.

I am reluctant to put another 172 box in and possibly have problems with driveshaft again.

Could I put a 182 box in and if so would I need to put different driveshafts in or would it just be a replacement for the circlip?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

So I have managed to confirm so far that it is a JC5 129 gearbox that has a speedo drive.

Can I get a 129 with speedo drive that has the 182 'bolt in' driveshaft coupling?

If not will a 130 go in and be able to connect to the speedo?

172 Cup
The renfort plate solves the circlip problem on the jc5 129 box. Thats what I have done and not had any issues with it.

That's my other option.

Buy a second hand 129 gearbox and get the Renfort plate fitted to it whilst its off the car.