ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearchange problem - can this be fixed?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I've had gearbox problems with my 172. They rebuilt it with all new synchros. It was never established why they all wore out to start with. But one problem I have repeatedly complained to my dealer about he's done nothing. I think he thinks its just me, that I'm clumsy, or careless, but I've never had the problem with any other car I've owned, and I didn't have it with the 172 when it was new.

Its that when I accelerate hard up through the gears and I make the change from 2nd to 3rd in a hurry I end up in 5th. Change gears slowly and carefully and I nearly always end up in 3rd. But when I'm in a hurry I always end up in 5th. It rather defeats the point of having a performance car if you have to change gears slowly and carefully like either you or it is geriatric.

I got the ECU rechipped at 10,000 kms and did some runs at an "off the street" meet at the local dragstrip to see if there was any measurable performance improvement. It was small but it was there. I've been back since and I couldn't successfuly get one clean run. Every time I changed up from 2nd and I ended up in 5th and got left behind as the other car disappeared off into the distance still accelerating hard. But its not just at the drags. I have the same problem if I pull out onto a fast road or motorway and try to get up to speed fast. Its more than embarrassing, its dangerous, to find yourself in 5th with no acceleration and a road train bearing down on you from behind.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Take it to another dealer - The JC5 129 gearbox is a terrible box and the above problem is very common - Renault are aware of the fault but they will never admit it !!!!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Thanks, I've got to agree with you that its a terrible gearbox. I bought a Renault after having lots of Jap cars thinking everyone had learned the lessions they had on how to design cars right, build them right, and fix them if they hadn't. Renault clearly hasn't.

And you guys in your part of the world get it easy. Take it to another dealer you say. The next nearest dealer for me is 1500 km round trip. And worse, I've got to go to a neighboring state that that has 2500 speed cameras and collects a third of a billion dollars a year from them, and still doesn't think that's enough.

Last edited:
GordonD said:
Thanks, I've got to agree with you that its a terrible gearbox. I bought a Renault after having lots of Jap cars thinking everyone had learned the lessions they had on how to design cars right, build them right, and fix them if they hadn't. Renault clearly hasn't.

And you guys in your part of the world get it easy. Take it to another dealer you say. The next nearest dealer for me is 1500 km round trip. And worse, I've got to go to a neighboring state that that has 2500 speed cameras and collects a third of a billion dollars a year from them, and still doesn't think that's enough.

where are you?!

you think we have it easy?! my renault dealer seem to think that brakes hardly stopping you is fine and a tapping engine is normal.