ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gen90 and solid red light on dash

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Hello guys.. I am facing (again) a problem with my gen90, and I am already beginning of feel fed up of this thing.
Today I decided to do a testdrive because tomorrow I would have had a trackday.
If I turn key tosecond position the red light stay solid and it does not crank nor do clicking.
If I quickly go from position 0 to 3 I guess it kinda skips some checks and the engine cranks and run fine..BUT the rev counter does not work.

I had this problem when I first installed yhr ecu (bough in a kit with itbs).
The mapper said he had to swap some firmwares sent by KTEC and then it worked.
I worked for some months . Till today.

I also tried another UCH with another key and it does the same.
I tried fjtting my oem ecu (without cranking) and the red light goes down after few seconds without problems.
So..its not the uch, and not the key.
I've had a look in gen tuner pro and it sees rpm correctly..
Anyone can help? The person who did the mapping is working with racjng cars and cannot book an appointment until mid march..
I live outside uk so I cannot bring directly to ktec and by mail.. they don't even answer anymore about gen 90. They say there is no ducumentatation and so on.
Worst buy ever.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Hello guys, a little bit of update after a lot of investigation.
Just to be safe.. I rechecked all the fuses and relays, connectors and so on.

I decided to have a deep look with clip.
What I found is that with oem everything is fine, no errors no weird things and everything works.

When I do it with gen90. It gives me an error about a "short" to check with fault finder. And ok that may also not say anything useful..BUT:
If I check on the immobilizer section I see that the key has been recognized but the uch is somehow giving a stop putting engine in a lock as you can see in the picture. This explains the red light solid and not cranking.
Checking the uch stored faults.. as you can see I also have this error about dashboard misconfigured..
Searching about that error I've found that it may cause the immobilizer to trigger. It can also explain why (if I bypass the immobilizer turning fast the key) the engine runs fine but has no rev counter.

Since its working with oem.. I suspect its something on the gen90 side.. maybe something that can be adjusted with GenTunerPro.

Do someone has any idea?? Please help me.. I'm desperate..

Attachments

• IMG_20230214_205919_1.jpg
    IMG_20230214_205919_1.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20230214_210252_1.jpg
    IMG_20230214_210252_1.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 32

adir

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172

What I found is that with oem everything is fine, no errors no weird things and everything works.

When I do it with gen90. It gives me an error about a "short" to check with fault finder. And ok that may also not say anything useful..BUT:
If I check on the immobilizer section I see that the key has been recognized but the uch is somehow giving a stop putting engine in a lock as you can see in the picture. This explains the red light solid and not cranking.
Checking the uch stored faults.. as you can see I also have this error about dashboard misconfigured..
Searching about that error I've found that it may cause the immobilizer to trigger. It can also explain why (if I bypass the immobilizer turning fast the key) the engine runs fine but has no rev counter.

Since its working with oem.. I suspect its something on the gen90 side.. maybe something that can be adjusted with GenTunerPro.

Hey mate
Did you manage to solve the issue?
I’m facing something similar with my gen90 as well..

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Hi mate,
Only half of it.
Do you have same synthomps? Aldo your rev counter is not working?
Unfortunately after that I had a track day where my clutch burnt and almost exploded so gearbox suffered damage.. and it took a while tosort out parts and rebuid everything. i am literally turning key to test it today.

I planned to go to mapper and ask to have a look as soon as I can..
Anyway lets get in touch. I'll share every step about solving this problem

adir

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Well, the issue I’m dealing with, the red light flashing rapidly. Which means no key identification.
So I’m moving the key to second position, while pressing the key button.
The red light goes steady, and then off, which means you are good to go.
But I have zero readings from the crank sensor.
Along with no injectors opening, or ignition.
I’m not sure if the ECU depends on the crank sensor, in order to open injectors and ignition.

suspecting the FW version.
The ECU is running on a very old FW 00x71
I got a newer FW version. 00x84, but afraid to ruin the ECU while flashing.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Well, the issue I’m dealing with, the red light flashing rapidly. Which means no key identification.
So I’m moving the key to second position, while pressing the key button.
The red light goes steady, and then off, which means you are good to go.
But I have zero readings from the crank sensor.
Along with no injectors opening, or ignition.
I’m not sure if the ECU depends on the crank sensor, in order to open injectors and ignition.

suspecting the FW version.
The ECU is running on a very old FW 00x71
I got a newer FW version. 00x84, but afraid to ruin the ECU while flashing.
Ok,
So.. the immobilizer thing is easy to bypass..
No readings from crank sensor is bad, did you tried replacing it?

Without it ecu cannot know where pistons are so it wont give ignition signal.

I would change sensor as first thing.

Flashing new firmware will not ruin ecu, but you'll lose everything inside, even fuel/ignition map.

adir

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Well,
Got it sorted, she shave her first start after 7 years of build!
You were right, the crank sensor, although the wiring was reversed. Flipped them in the ecu junction, done.

I’m still having that issue with the immobillizer, the UCH doesn’t reserve the key identification. I need to press the key to the second position every start.
The immo “erase” after 5 second when switch is off.

As for the FW update.
I have the call file saved with all the parameters from EFI.
Dose the call needs to suite the new FW?

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Well,
Got it sorted, she shave her first start after 7 years of build!
You were right, the crank sensor, although the wiring was reversed. Flipped them in the ecu junction, done.

I’m still having that issue with the immobillizer, the UCH doesn’t reserve the key identification. I need to press the key to the second position every start.
The immo “erase” after 5 second when switch is off.

As for the FW update.
I have the call file saved with all the parameters from EFI.
Dose the call needs to suite the new FW?
Oh, happy to read!
I am glad it "only" took to reverse the wiring. Sometimes the solution itself is easy.. the nightmare is getting to it.

Speaking of uch, did you checked the receiver antenna? Its the round ring where you put the key.. thats an easy part to find, cheap and its not coded so you can swap it to test if its it.

I've read sometimes its an uch issue because of some cold solders which may go bad, if you are good at electronic repair it can be manually reflowed. On internet you can find what are the critical parts that sometimes cause the issue and can be fixed with reflow.

OR, if you just want the car to start (since you arr on a gen90) you can bypass the immobilizer relay.

After winter stop (with battery disconnected) for some unknown reason when trying to crank mine I had the problems described on the post.
At least the solid immobilizer and no crank has been solved thanks to a user giving me advice on bypassing the immobilizer relay.

Hahah you did good posting video, I had a long build too in the past and the first start felt really glorious!! I totally understand your feeling and very Happy for you!

Clio 172 + Clio200T

I follow up to add details.. even if no one seems to have an answer..

Didn't used the car for a couple of months because gearbox problems and then some family issues..
Anyway.
I add some data:
When the immobilizer light goes solid the dash is kinda freezed, for example if I turn key with open door . The door light will stay on until I turn key off and on again with closed door.
Water temperature gauge does the same as rev counter.
I wired the pin of ecu which should have been tacho output and hooking up to that pin a led revcounter it works, so I am sure the ecu is outputting an rpm signal.

All those problems disappear if I hook up oem ecu, so key, uch, sensors and loom are ok.

Does someone have an idea??? :(