ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Genuine iPhone alternatives.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Yes. You can. I've explained to you at least 5 times how to change your ringtone.

Text tones are coming with iOS 5 next month.

Yes, and everytime i've replied with it's not part of the phones standard features.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Will be shortly. And I'd say that if you need a different one than standard, you are a tart. Custom tones are for children and posers.

Like the 40 year old project manager I used to work with who had the Black Eyed Peas as his ringtone. He was fat and bald.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
iOS is Unix based. Linux and Unix are cousins. Linux pretty much runs the internet.

If you're desperate for a powerful device, buy an iPhone and jailbreak. You can then have a full Unix command prompt, if you can't do that you're a mongo and should get a £40 Nokia on PAYG.

Android on the other hand is Java VM based and its a f**king joke. Java must die.

A bit more to it than that though and it works fine....

Plus the latest Adroids have more grunt than the iphone 4 as well as running a Linux kernal...

Last edited:
Some people prefer Android. Some people prefer iOS.
Some people prefer Pepsi. Some people prefer Coke.
Some people prefer Pizza Hut. Some people prefer Domino's.

That's just the way the world is.

What I don't understand is the people who 'hate' Apple/Android. I like what I like and I don't really care about anything else and what they want to do. I prefer my iPhone to the Android options but I don't hate them and if they did the things that I want, then I'd have one. I have an iPhone because I prefer it, not because I hate something else.

Clio 172 cup
My 2p

Iphone4= the sleekest, best built, easiest to use handset on the market right now, does 95% of everything you want it to do, its like having a laptop in your pocket, but very little options to custom the most basic of things such as ringtones etc. Still a very awesome piece of equipment

Samsung galaxy s2= the only handset to rival the ip4, bigger brighter more colourful screen, duel core processor, faster web browsing, can customise every single thing to how you want it, not as easy to use as the iphone and very poorly built and feels very plasticy. Still a very good phone

Android phones (the top end ones) are better then the iPhone imo. But I much prefer my iPhone because there is only 1 released a year! new top Android seems like it is every couple of months.At least I have a to phone for a year then wanting the next best thing.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
My 2p

Iphone4= the sleekest, best built, easiest to use handset on the market right now, does 95% of everything you want it to do, its like having a laptop in your pocket, but very little options to custom the most basic of things such as ringtones etc. Still a very awesome piece of equipment

Samsung galaxy s2= the only handset to rival the ip4, bigger brighter more colourful screen, duel core processor, faster web browsing, can customise every single thing to how you want it, not as easy to use as the iphone and very poorly built and feels very plasticy. Still a very good phone

PMSL Plenty of Android handsets have been on a par or better than the iphone 4 since the original Desire.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
A bit more to it than that though and it works fine....

Plus the latest Adroids have more grunt than the iphone 4 as well as running a Linux kernal...

Yeah the 'bit more' is that fact that Google used Sun's Java VM tech without licensing and there's going to be an immanent arse raping.

LY 182
Bird at work got the Samsung Galaxy S2 and it felt quite nice and sharp having a play with it. Can't really pass too much comment without using it for a sustained period of time.

At this current moment I'd be waiting to at least see details on the next iPhone (hopefully within a few weeks) before making a choice.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
S2 is a brilliant phone, dead easy to use even for me and i was so tempted to get it next. But the more i use it i just find it to big.

Dan.

Arctic Blue 182ff
Gosh, it's like an Apple advert in here.

I'm one of the people that just don't get it, sadly. I've used an iPhone 4 lots, and I still grab my original Desire after and am glad i've got it. Yea the iPhone is slicker, but better built? Seriously? I mean, you say it's better built because the panel gaps are great or it can be dropped 79 times before breaking? What about the fact the stupid thing has to wear an accessory just to WORK.... at what point does that make it 'better built'. It's hideous.

Anyway, enough Apple bashing, not what the threads about :)

Go to a phone shop, try the Desire HD, the Galaxy S2, an iPhone 4, and anything else top end. Properly. Including taking photos, opening many programs, taking a look at the cost of apps etc. Then take a look at the prices of the handsets and contracts. Then make a decision :)

Gosh, it's like an Apple advert in here.

I'm one of the people that just don't get it, sadly. I've used an iPhone 4 lots, and I still grab my original Desire after and am glad i've got it. Yea the iPhone is slicker, but better built? Seriously? I mean, you say it's better built because the panel gaps are great or it can be dropped 79 times before breaking? What about the fact the stupid thing has to wear an accessory just to WORK.... at what point does that make it 'better built'. It's hideous.

Complete and utter rubbish. Sorry.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Still amazes me you can't have your own ringtone and text tone on the iPhone.

bcdd18c6-3498-99b6.jpg

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
That's not what I was talking about, nor is it what this thread is about. The OP is talking about changing phone platforms. I'm pretty sure you can't run iOS apps on anything other than an iOS device, unless I'm wrong (aside, I'm not wrong). Don't be a mong, Tom.

Call me a mong again and you'll have a one way ticket to banned.

You said

Because they won't work on another phone

They will. Just has to be an iOS device. Android apps don't work on iOS devices either does that make them dead money too? (assuming you buy any)

What about the fact the stupid thing has to wear an accessory just to WORK....

Really? Guess mine must be a miracle one off then.

Got sent the bumper for mine and it stayed fitted for about 10 mins before I decided I hated the look and feel of the thing. I've rolled without a case/cover (just a screen and back protector film) and have zero issues with signal drop/reception and as I'm an adult who doesn't have a drinking problem I've not broken it by bouncing it off the pavement.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
They will. Just has to be an iOS device. Android apps don't work on iOS devices either does that make them dead money too? (assuming you buy any)

Yes. This thread is about potentially switching to an non-iOS device.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
Really? Guess mine must be a miracle one off then.

Got sent the bumper for mine and it stayed fitted for about 10 mins before I decided I hated the look and feel of the thing. I've rolled without a case/cover (just a screen and back protector film) and have zero issues with signal drop/reception and as I'm an adult who doesn't have a drinking problem I've not broken it by bouncing it off the pavement.

i know a fair few people with iphone 4 now, none of them have a signal issue. most of them dont use cases, the ones that do are only to keep it nice.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Another phone = non-iOS device.

You were being overly acute there though. But that's fine, you're an admin and I've had my wrist slapped by you now.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You want more points? Keep breaking site rules.

6 & 7 in particular. And I used my discretion.

You need to be more specific, that way people understand the point you intended to make.

A ANIMAL
i didn't have anything apple until th iPhone 4. i doubt i will buy anything other than an iphone from now on.

(sat watching skysports on ma free app...)

I remember the good ol days where you had to key in the ringtone by yourself.

So you'd sit there and press 84 buttons and it just vaguely resembles the song you wanted.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I remember the good ol days where you had to key in the ringtone by yourself.

So you'd sit there and press 84 buttons and it just vaguely resembles the song you wanted.

Wasn't that on the Samsungs? I had it on my A300 you had the tap it into a music sheet lol