ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting a remap done after christmas, is it worth it?

Clio 1.2 TCE 08
This is my first remap, getting it done at dyne tech quoted me £280 for rolling road, live custom remap, said gains will be from 100bhp to 130bhp give or take and the torque will go up to 30 something? will the difference be noticable, i know its a small engine but I'm a student so i have to make do with what i got lol. i was also thinking about a decat? as apparently it slows the turbo or something?

so 280£ for 30bhp and taking the torque to 30.
yes or no.
thanks

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Is it worth it? Only you can answer that. £300 for 30bhp I would say so!

A decat will allow the turbo to spool quicker, see how much they are first as it's an MOT failure and a fuckabout to swap them around unless you know a friendly garage

Clio mk2 172
Well it makes sense £280 for a possible 10-30 bhp increase + any increase on the insurance and well we all know what insurance companys can be like could push the actual cost per bhp up so could make it less worth while! :p

Ph1
Well it makes sense £280 for a possible 10-30 bhp increase + any increase on the insurance and well we all know what insurance companys can be like could push the actual cost per bhp up so could make it less worth while! :p

Why would you want to tell them ?

Clio mk2 172
But all i am saying is saying is legally he should declare it. But what if lets say he crashed into you and the insurance did decide to check? I bet you wouldn't be best pleased? Also seeing as the car has other modifications they may take a closer look? who knows I'm just playing safe, but for all I know it might make bugger all difference at all :p

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Insurance companies can find out if they want to, it's ignorant to assume they wont.

You have to think to yourself whether or not it's worth being honest, bare in mind the increase in premium will be in the hundreds.... every year....

Clio 1.2 TCE 08
I've decided against de-cat, picked car up this afternoon had full service, cost a lot lol. asked him why he thought. said de cat waste of time, faff about with mot plus police n insurance do an emissions test ur cars getting off the road there and then. so thats a NO! lol

dyno tech said insurance couldn't tell even manufacture wouldn't know because its just software on standard system. so 280/300£ for 30bhp more and taking the torque up to 30 something. could be an improvement for a little car. its a remapped live on rolling road, so custom to each car. :)

Clio 1.2 TCE 08
gray - whys the thread a joke? its a question. like i said at beginning of thread. i know its a small car etc, but I'm a student so its what i got.

Ph1
But all i am saying is saying is legally he should declare it. But what if lets say he crashed into you and the insurance did decide to check? I bet you wouldn't be best pleased? Also seeing as the car has other modifications they may take a closer look? who knows I'm just playing safe, but for all I know it might make bugger all difference at all :p

If he crashed into me for example his insurance company are still legally bound to pay out to the third party regardless if his insurance is found to be void.

ECU mapping is merely tweeking the original units values. - To be able to check they would need to remove the ECU and start testing and investigating it. They just don't do that.

My mate used to work for a crash repair center. Its not CID investigation levels as folk would have you believe

Clio 1.2 TCE 08
lol andy man! don't worrie I'm not one of these c*nts that don't pay insurance properly. but words of dyne tech, all it is changing the computer software.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
It all depends on who is doing the remap as to how good it is. I had my diesel Nissan Primastar done 3 years ago and it did improve the performance by about 30% overall. More torque and power and better fuel consumption. But after 90,000 miles the timing chain snapped wrecking the engine. I'm not sure if the remap was a contributing factor or not. If I had it done on my Renault Trafic I'd change the timing chain at the same intervals as a cambelt. On a road car that's not doing huge mileage it's probably worth doing. If it's a remap on a standard ECU it's undetectable on diagnostics. A bespoke ECU and full mapping is a different ball game altogether. Definitely not worth spending that amount on a 1.2.
If you can afford the remap then get it done. Also fit a high flow air filter element.
My 172 has a standard airbox with a green cotton filter and that works really well.

Clio 1.2 TCE 08
yeah thats cool, the guy who does it is really good. miteck exhaust use him all the time when they bring out new things so must be at least okay lol. plus its custom to each and every car because its live and custom they tweak every area possible to get best outcome n lifetime warranty :)

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
I have an answer to your insurance, problem :) If you hit anyone hit them hard enough that they cant check what bhp you were running ;)

If your gonna crash you may aswell burst into flames in the process, makes more of a spectical of it

LOL =P