ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting insured after accident...

Audi S3 225

Hi, I wrote my car off last month, no1 else involved I was fully comp with elephant insurance and had to claim as there was 2 much damage. I lost my 2 years no claims. Now I’m looking at getting a mk1 172 but the insurance is so dam high!!!

I’m 22 and live in a good, decent area, but all the quotes I’m getting are over 2k fully comp. WTF I don’t understand how the hell they can charge this much. I was paying like 500 quid fully comp on my 1.2! And before I claimed I was getting quotes of around 1k fully comp on the 172.

I really wish I hadn’t claimed now, there’s no way in hell I’m getting another slow car just because of the insurance. I need to know if any1 knows any decent insurance companies that won’t charge stupid prices after a claim.

BTW I’ve tried elephant, Direct Line, Tescos, and am waiting on a reply from Greenlight insurance.

Thx for your time

Allan

that sounds about right with 0 NCD and a heavy claim on a written off car.

remember your going from a group 3/4 car to a group 16 car!!

im paying £1090, im 21 with 3yr NCD with greenlight.

Audi S3 225

im thinking third party mite be my best bet, as i can get some quotes down to around 1500. Im so mad, i spent the last 4 years driving a stupid 1.2 8v, just before i try and sell this happens and now im fuked.

Mate, just wait it out again, get a year or two again, in fact, if you had been driving the 1.2 8v for 4 years you shouldve had 4 years NCB and then for a single claim that shouldve gone down to 2 years NCB..... so what happened? did you have other incidents before? or were you not insured on your own policy for the first two years?

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

I was in a simliar boat when I renewed my insurance last week (although mine wasnt a write off). I found Elephant and Admiral to be by far the cheapest. I went with Elephant in the end as they still undercut Admiral by a 100 quid.

Im 21 and my insurance is £1400 on a 10 month policy.

tiTTy & SV650

if you wrote off a 1.2 maybe the insurance company have good reason to charge so much on a 2.0....

its quite a jump

[Edited by rory182 on 15 May 2005 at 7:47pm]

Audi S3 225

Quote: Originally posted by Roamer on 15 May 2005

Mate, just wait it out again, get a year or two again, in fact, if you had been driving the 1.2 8v for 4 years you shouldve had 4 years NCB and then for a single claim that shouldve gone down to 2 years NCB..... so what happened? did you have other incidents before? or were you not insured on your own policy for the first two years?
when i first started driving i didnt take out my own policy i was on my dads.

on a mk1 172 2000 reg, u can get third party.

Mini Cooper S sport

I know this isnt much help, but its worth paying the extra to get your NCB protected - Roamers right, wait a while and build it up again.

Quote: Originally posted by Jonesy on 15 May 2005
on a mk1 172 2000 reg, u can get third party.
Where? :confused:

With your insurance history you seem to have enough trouble getting a fully comprehensive one.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 15 May 2005

I know this isnt much help, but its worth paying the extra to get your NCB protected - Roamers right, wait a while and build it up again.
cant protect it till you have 4 or 5 years NCB IIRC

work this one out then stacked my 172 cup was 1750 a year aged 23 no claims bonus and now 24 driving a 182 and its only 1150 with the same company how wierd is that the company is elephant by the way

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I can afford to insure another Cup after I wrote mine off, even though the quotes are through the roof and I mean - seriously horrendous - but I refuse to pay insurane companys vast amounts of money to insure it (£3,900).

Hence im getting a Mini. Paying £580 fully comp. :eek:)

Audi S3 225

Hey, elephant will insure me third party on a x reg mk1 172 for around 1500 third party.

to be honest i dont mind paying that much for 1 year, and hopefully it should go down next year, especially if i stay with the same company. My dads paying for the car, all i gotta pay is insurance and tax so not 2 bad.

Ive seen a few nice ones for about 5.5-6k that i may get, just gotta wait to hear from the insurers as i am trying to get some more money from them for my car, they offered 3.5k but i think its worth more, so sent letter, reciepts and car adverts and now gotta wait and see.

Allan

ex Clio 172 owner :(

To be honest though, youre crazy insuring a performance car third party.

As a desirable car, its far more likely to have an attempted break in. If someone rives your locks in a failed attempt at theft, youll have to fix it. Third party wont cover that.

If you crash it, easily done in a fast car as the temptation is always there to hoof it and show off a bit, again youve lost the lot. Think of the situation youd be in then.

Do what everyone is telling you. Wait at least another year.

Id love a 172. Im close to egtting one but Im 29 and now have nearly 6 yr ncb and they still want £600+

Swallow your pride and wait a bit longer.

172beast

Quote: Originally posted by Chris1.4RT on 16 May 2005

Id love a 172. Im close to egtting one but Im 29 and now have nearly 6 yr ncb and they still want £600+

Swallow your pride and wait a bit longer.
Dont know where your gettin quites from but 600+ for your age and no claims is very expensive imo. Im 23, full no claims and pay 600 exactly fully comp on a mk1 172. 22 when I first got it with 1 years less no claims, paid 650 fully comp. For your age and same no claims as me Id expect it to be easily under 500 quid. Try Tesco, thats who Im insured with.

I think Jonesy should buy mine anyway, totally unmolestered example of a mk1 172, mint condition for 6 grand, bargain. ;)

you stacked a 1.2 8v with no other cars around and made a claim, now you want to buy a 2.0 16v and insure it TPF&T

doesnt seem like a sensible idea to me, there are much better cars that wont cost you an arm and a leg to insure, and you wont lose as much if you bend it

have a lok at something like the 106XSi, cheapish insurance, not too expensive, so if you bend it, you wont lose too much, reasonably nippy and handle well

think with your head and your wallet, not your heart