ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting more power from my Hillclimb 172 Ph 1

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
A quick introduction for the previous 3 seasons I have competed in the Midland Hillclimb Championship in my 3 Door Sierra Cosworth but due to the engine lunching itself on the rollers 3 weeks before the season opener at Prescott I need an cheapish replacement so I bought a Flame Red 1999 172 Sport Ph1.
I really have fell in love with it, the Ph1 IMHO is the better looking that the Ph2 :)

You'll have to forgive lack of knowledge with Clios while I'm a fountain of knowledge regarding Cosworth and quite handy with a set of spanners the first time I drove a Clio was when I took my Ph1 on a test drive.

Here are the modifications I was told were fitted to it when I bought it:

Lowering Springs with standard shocks (I can confirmed this with a visual check)
Poly Bushed gearbox Dog Bone (No idea haven't had it up on a ramp yet)
182 Exhaust Manifold (Wouldn't know the difference if you slapped me round the head with either)

The bits I've done to the Clio since getting it:

A set of Arcasting Lico 7 x 15" Alloys shod in Avon ZZR Hillclimb Spec A24 Compound tyres (only fitted for events)
Pair of Corba Imola Bucket Seats with TRS Harnesses
OMP Corsica Deep Dish Wheel
Carbone Lorraine RC6 Brake Pads up front
New Rear Discs, Bearing and ABS Rings with Mintex Pads at the rear

I run it in the Under 2000cc Road Going Class which means I can't strip out the interior, so usual weight saving tactics are out the window, can't fit poly windows either.
It hasn't got a Alloy Bonnett so I could look at fitting one of those as long as it was manufacturing option for the car you can retro fit it.

So is there any hidden weigh saving measures to be made? I know I've saved quite abit with the front seats.
What can I do to the engine for more BHP? Engine Mods are completely unregulated so can do as you please but if you Super Charge or Turbo Charge you'll be bumped up to the next class with the EVO's, Scoobies, Porsches and Cossies and we don't want that.

I need really world BHP gains and prices if that's ok please?
Pretty sure I can't strech to a set of TB's but feel free to give me a break down of what I can do with varying degrees of cost and power gains.

I came 3rd in Class out of 8 at Shelsley Walsh at the weekend but the pesky Elises are so much quicker in the dry (they came 1st and 2nd) I was fastest in wet practice on the Saturday thou :)

So feel free to give me any advise

Cheers Rich

4CB49214-52E0-4AC4-A106-C162329A3FEE_zpsuyx5vnsd.jpg

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Knowing who you are up against, I would be getting an lsd and lower cwp for starters as these spin like there's no tomorrow.
Rear anti roll bar to help the turn in.
There's a reasonable amount of weight that can come out and still be within the rules.
Elises at most events will normally win though unfortunately.
I only ran with a tired 160bhp engine last year and got close to dave west at my first ever trip to Prescott, and first event with the diff.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Sadly you're wasting your time chasing power with them NA.

Cheers for that insightful piece of information

Knowing who you are up against, I would be getting an lsd and lower cwp for starters as these spin like there's no tomorrow.
Rear anti roll bar to help the turn in.
There's a reasonable amount of weight that can come out and still be within the rules.
Elises at most events will normally win though unfortunately.
I only ran with a tired 160bhp engine last year and got close to dave west at my first ever trip to Prescott, and first event with the diff.

Dave West is rather rapid in his 106 GTi, I'll be up against him an Loton Park in 2 weeks.
What are the costs like on LSD's and a Short CWP?
I had to drop down into 1st for Pardon at Prescott which I don't really want to be doing need to be in 2nd ideally.
Where can I take some more weight out of the car?

What about removing the air con?

Sorry I forgot to mention that at the beginning it has already been removed

Throttle bodies, cams.... what are you willing to spend?

If you could give me a rough idea on costs, I'll see if I can afford it.

Are you allowed any suspension mods? If you are, then asts, roll centre kit and a diff. Done. Forget the power chase as they just don't produce good bhp per £. Quite the opposite in fact.

You can modify the suspension but you can't fit any "Metal Spherical Bearing" (Rose Joints) unless they were a standard manufacturer fit.
And you can't move any of the original pick up points.

Rich

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I had to drop down into 1st for Pardon at Prescott which I don't really want to be doing need to be in 2nd ideally.

If you do go down the LSD route, you might be tempted to buy a 172 cup gearbox and fit the LSD in that, as the in gear ratios are shorter as well. I can't remember how much shorter it is in 1st and 2nd but it may be the difference between Pardon in 1st and Pardon in 2nd :wink:

If you could give me a rough idea on costs, I'll see if I can afford it.

£1k for cams.
£1-2k for throttle bodies.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Mine cost 1740 fitted, with box rebuilt too at Agency transmissions.

Lower cwp means 2nd gear at Pardon, although I bogged down a bit with lack of power.

Just check dave west's tyres as the 2 he had on the passenger side were ad08-r, 2 on drivers side were normal ad08. Scrutineers did a tyre check and saw it. He beat me fair and square with Stunners on.

I fitted a gripper diff to my Clio cup 172 and personally would advise chasing suspension/handling, brakes, tyres and tuition before touching power <---- Once that is sorted next step would be LSD <---- Once that sorted then go get some power.

Occasionally a JMS RS2 inlet manifold comes up for sale and that will get you 18-20bhp increase with the 182 exhaust manifold you have and a remap (I should know as this is my car spec).
As a very rough guide it will cost you £2k to get N/A circa 20bhp (or 10% increase in power via Inlet or TB, remap etc) and cost you more to go above 200bhp.

Engine dynamics offering low turbo kit for discount at the moment:
http://www.engine-dynamics.com/Turb.../ClioSport172/182TurboConversionKit280BHP.asp

Ktec Rotrex kit all in about 5k:
http://www.k-tecracing.com/power_upgrades_package_details.asp?id=13

Engine Mods are completely unregulated so can do as you please but if you Super Charge or Turbo Charge you'll be bumped up to the next class with the EVO's, Scoobies, Porsches and Cossies and we don't want that.

Why not? A 250bhp boosted well sorted clio should be able to compete with those cars in the right hands.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Why not? A 250bhp boosted well sorted clio should be able to compete with those cars in the right hands.

I'm afraid it wouldn't have a prayer in A2 class with the 600bhp 4WD machines.
I'm over 4 seconds slower up Shesley Walsh in my Clio than in my Cossie and my PB is just under another 3 seconds off the Class Record.
The Clio needs to stay in A1, if I can stay best of the rest after the Elise's I'll be happy (well kind of)

Rich

To stay NA, and produce decent power (a genuine and reliable ~220bhp/180lb-ft) you're looking upwards of 8k. Spend 2k on suspension and leave it, there's engines just don't respond to NA.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1