ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting Pony MPG?!

Hi there. I have a 2005 1.2 16V and I was getting 35-44mpg out of it according to the computer, and was pretty happy, recently it's dropped to around 28.5 and can't seem to get it to go much higher than 30. Over the past few weeks it's being a driven every day as opposed to every couple of days. My journey is 15 mins in stop start traffic.

The car has just been serviced and the garage said the plugs where in a poor state but I looked through the history and they've never been changed before.

Any ideas if I can get the mpg up on it?

Thanks

Does the car feel ok to drive? not misfiring or hesitant?

You could try the pre cat lambda sensor, but it might be something simpler than that.

Does the car feel ok to drive? not misfiring or hesitant?

You could try the pre cat lambda sensor, but it might be something simpler than that.

Car feels absolutely fine to drive mate, never juddery or anything like that, revs through the gears fine, although I drive conservatively to keep the mpg up

Have you reset the trip? Sitting still in traffic will drop the average MPG down ! If your really concerned get it looked at! Could be a few things coolant temp or lambda but normally being up a light etc

That's interesting point actually because I did that the other day and I was cruising down the a46 at 70 in 5th and I was getting around 40 mpg sat at some traffic lights and I could actually see it dropping down. Around every 10ish secs a 10th would drop off?! It came down to like 30 after about 2 minutes stopped

On my grandads 1.2 he told me the car was running a bit hesitant and a drop in MPG, after seeing on here that the oil breathing system on the engine was poor and that oil can collect in the plastic upper manifold I took it off.

There was nearly an inch of oil sat there which I removed, this also ment the throttle body which is also in-cased in it was quite filthy. I cleaned that all up and he saw a small improvement.

Such a drop in your MPG I would think it probably something else such as a sensor but looking into cleaning the throttle body might help.

Cheers for the advice mate, starting think now tho it's possibly just my new drive to work? I never used to use the car for work I would get the bus and use the car for journeys where I'd really be stuck in traffic, but now it gets used everyday in start stop crappy traffic.

Well the best thing to do it reset the trip, and take it for a drive where you know you wont be stuck in traffic, if once the trip learns and gives you your MPG and its not too bad i.e. 36 then its probably just a case of the stop start traffic.

I think the trip is just a guide really, If you reset the trip and look at it a day or two later after mixed driving you might see normal MPG.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Possibly a stupid suggestion but could be something you might not have considered.. Are you turning it on in mornings a letting it tick over till its warm at all?

2002 Clio 172
My 1.2 was running at about 36mpg, cleaned the throttle body and saw an increase to around 39/40...not a difficult job to do, as said up there ^ the breather is rammed full of dirt and oil

phase 1 172
it WILL effect it massively

on my 172 i get 43mpg driving like a nun with 36psi-winter rolls along they drop circa 12psi each i couldnt get it past 30mpg regardless how i drove

its like giving your mate a piggy back and not expecting it to be much more difficult on your heart

it WILL effect it massively

on my 172 i get 43mpg driving like a nun with 36psi-winter rolls along they drop circa 12psi each i couldnt get it past 30mpg regardless how i drove

its like giving your mate a piggy back and not expecting it to be much more difficult on your heart

Okay mate will check the psi of the tyres! Something I haven't done since I got the wheels used in august

172 Rep
I get 35-40 city driving, motorway about 50mpg, driving like a granny I've hit 69mpg, never trust the trip computer in the 1.2's lol

topped the tyres up to 32 psi 3 of them were on 29 but passenger front was 20? Anyway took it on a run to solihull and back and got 43MPG on the trip computer so must be the start stop traffic

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
topped the tyres up to 32 psi 3 of them were on 29 but passenger front was 20? Anyway took it on a run to solihull and back and got 43MPG on the trip computer so must be the start stop traffic

If your resetting the trip computer and then doing short careful driving journeys your MPG will fly up.

I could fill my 182 up, reset counter, drive the 0.5 mile home and I would have about 65 mpg.

You need to get the MPG over a full tank or at least a certain amount of miles.

Clio 182
My girlfriends Clio 1.2 16v was suffering from poor MPG, turned out to be the air filter. Even though it was not due a change, and was done with its last service it was not letting the car breath properly.

Worth spending £10 and see how it goes. I think the air filter is way to small on her car so we tend to change the air filter in between services as well now.

My girlfriends Clio 1.2 16v was suffering from poor MPG, turned out to be the air filter. Even though it was not due a change, and was done with its last service it was not letting the car breath properly.

Worth spending £10 and see how it goes. I think the air filter is way to small on her car so we tend to change the air filter in between services as well now.

It's just had a full service last week matey