ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting scratches and chips out.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Guys, i haven't used my car in a good few months now, however i started it up the other day and took it for a clean, not having a girlfriend will mean i use it a lot more so i thought i'd get it back up to scratch....(no pun intended)

Anyway after going over the car i've noticed quite a few little scratches, chips....and odd blemishes. Was just wondering, is the best thing to t-cut it like my Dad advised me to do, or polish them out like a mat advised me.

Also are companies like chips away anygood? i dunno i haven't got a shed load of cash to spend on getting it all resprayed but i'd like to minimise the issues with it. Suggestions welcome!! Thanks boys and girls.

Octavia VRS
Meguiars Scratch X is good. Follow with Autoglym Super Resin Polish. You should see a big difference

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Just applying to certain areas or the whole car mate, thanks for your help.

Octavia VRS
You can apply Scratch X to the required panels or the whole car mate. I'm going to apply it to the whole car by hand but Rich and Alan have said this is very time consuming - looking at a day doing this alone!

For AG SRP apply this to the whole car using a polish/wax applicator and buffing with a microfibre.

Then after that you can apply AG Extra Gloss Protection which gives it that extra wet look. Then you can put a coat of wax on. All this is time consuming but I'm sure the effect will be worth it. Hope that helps.

106 GTi
To sort the chips you will need to use some paint as polishing alone will not sort it, same with deep scratches that go through the base coat and laquer.

As Kenny says a whole car by hand is time consuming and hard work, I would attack the defect areas first locally.

Where are you based maybe worth getting someone to runa PC over it for you?

106 GTi
PC - Porter Cable machine polisher, makes light work of the job your looking to do.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Deal me in!! anyone near me at all? that sounds awesome! how much would it cost??

106 GTi
David said:
cool thanks, think i'll try doing it myself first...

When using Scratch X as Kenny suggested use a folded terry towel, to give the polish more bite, and allow you to get even pressure cross the panel. Work it till the is little or no product to remove that way you will know that its done its job.

Skoda Fabia vRS
you would be completely insane IMO to do the whole car with Scratch X, it would take forever and you need a good few applications of it

106 GTi
BRUN said:
you would be completely insane IMO to do the whole car with Scratch X, it would take forever and you need a good few applications of it

It's a better option that T Cut though. I did my 182 when it was delivered and it took ages!

Soon got a PC after ;)

Octavia VRS
BRUN said:

Nothing like a challenge and a few days off work ;) lol

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i''d rather paysomeone do it rather than spend days of no end on it....maybe i'll look into that option..

ant

yep.
i used scratch-x last weekend and whilst it is very good i was knackered after 2 wings and a door!!