ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

getting the clio ready for the ring.

clio 172 luna speedl
my clio 172 ph2 has been std for like 5 years now and just started doin a few bits to it.

k tec exhaust (stelth)
billies b14 coilovers
decat.

the ring has now been booked for 24th april.
went last year but didnt know what it was goin to be like. so got a cheap 106 gti and did a few bits to. got there and the box was fooked so didnt have that much fun as needed to got home.....

so it has all started now and need get some work dont to the old girl.

any ideas or parts that i may need please pm me.

ill be doin a bit tomoro so i'll get some pics up of the car now.

and last years ring toy!!!!

Ok, I'm confused.

So you've never been to the 'Ring in your car... yet? If not, then why are modifying it now not knowing what to expect when you're on the 'Ring? Surely it'd make sense to take the car there standard and then learn from it and modify it (if necessary) for your next trip? The same applies to track days. Some people go straight in at the deep end and putting together a "track" car when they have no idea of what needs changing in the first place.

As for those modifications. A mate of mine has had them done as they're pretty much a regular thing on the Clio Sports. My mate also set his coilovers onto the lowest setting and grounded out... well scrapped as he went around the Karousel. Again, he set it up to what he thought would be best for the 'Ring, but he soon changed that after his first lap.

You said you've booked to go on the 24th April. How do you know the 'Ring is open then? The dates aren't released until January. At least by booking now (if you can), ferry crossings will be VERY cheap!

clio 172 luna speedl
i went last year in a 106 gti mate. so time for the clio to go round this time.

it was the same time this year. so it will be open!!! love the ring

clio 172 luna speedl
had 306 gti6 brakes on my 106gti gd pads and grooved disc's and did them in first lap. and couldn't go all out as the box had had it by the time i got there.

Ok, I'm confused.

So you've never been to the 'Ring in your car... yet? If not, then why are modifying it now not knowing what to expect when you're on the 'Ring? Surely it'd make sense to take the car there standard and then learn from it and modify it (if necessary) for your next trip? The same applies to track days. Some people go straight in at the deep end and putting together a "track" car when they have no idea of what needs changing in the first place.

As for those modifications. A mate of mine has had them done as they're pretty much a regular thing on the Clio Sports. My mate also set his coilovers onto the lowest setting and grounded out... well scrapped as he went around the Karousel. Again, he set it up to what he thought would be best for the 'Ring, but he soon changed that after his first lap.

You said you've booked to go on the 24th April. How do you know the 'Ring is open then? The dates aren't released until January. At least by booking now (if you can), ferry crossings will be VERY cheap!

Now now how many laps have you actually done to be giving this sort of advice?

;)

Clio Sport 172 ITB
Now now how many laps have you actually done to be giving this sort of advice?

;)

hes done a few matt as im sure u know :p i have only stuck my car 35mm lower to make sure i get no rub on the arches on 888's :( as for what you have done so far it sounds good. dont slam the car!!! also get some good disc's and pads! brembo HC and mintex m1144's are a good choice tbh! also some decent tyres are a must!!!

clio 172 luna speedl
got prada's on at the min but sure they'll be ready to renew by the time i go!!! will have to look in 888's myself

Clio Cup,Leon 1.8T,Eunos
The only thing that was 'wrong' with my cup was the poor brakes letting me down - that's the only thing I'll be changing before I go back.

I wouldn't want to be any lower than it currently sits on eibach springs looking at the ride height round Karousel... And if you take an excursion across the grass the high kerbs will do more damage.

Artic 182
I think by 'getting it ready' you are more likely to crash it. Take it as it is and learn the limits of a great out of the box track car. Then mod and go again

clio 172 luna speedl
ive beeb b4. and just thinkin it would be nice to find out wot other ppl have done to there cars ready for the big green hell....

saw a lad there last year in a rb 182 cup and it was lovin it. just had big brakes and buckets in.

Cupped 200
Well, the problem is you and your purse here.

Get there. see what has to be done and do it. Brakes are alwas a good thing to modify, so are the Tyres. With just that done youve made the best in price and performance.

What you CAN do is another thing.. Full Cage, Stabilisers, PU Bushings, Stripping, Engine revision etc.

But let me tell you something, the only thing you have to worry about at the Ring will be the Driver and nothing else. There will be 60bhp Corsas goin in circles around you just because they know the Track etc. So get in whatever conditioned car there and just have fun and learn the Track! You will suck anyway in the beginning ;)

Best to do is looking that your car is superb servised, like Brakes, Plugs, Filter, Fluids etc.

And then Hammer the s**t out of your Car, but not yourself. Have veeery much fun there dude :D

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Noticed ya have the 182 wheels which arnt good for ventilation so I'd say either turinis or some kind of brake ducting. I noticed the difference coming from a 172 cup to 182 cup, they also feel quite heavy so lighter wheels sharper steering. I'm also planning a trip to the ring with some friends in April but no set date yet so mite even see ya fella.

clio 172 luna speedl
are hotel is booked up now which is the ringhous. cant wait. was goin to do the ducting with some gd disc's and pads. maybe even some 4 pots yet.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Think ya can get some that go where ya fog lights are, really does help ya pads stay cool for longer. Maybe look into higher grade brake fluid aswell as it gets really hot there in April or rain 1 of the 2. Lol and if ya looking at 888s don't forget ya gotta drive there and back too, not really meant for long motorway journeys.

Nissan 350z
Think ya can get some that go where ya fog lights are, really does help ya pads stay cool for longer. Maybe look into higher grade brake fluid aswell as it gets really hot there in April or rain 1 of the 2. Lol and if ya looking at 888s don't forget ya gotta drive there and back too, not really meant for long motorway journeys.

*link*

clio 172 luna speedl
DSC00156.gif

182 Cup
...and just thinkin it would be nice to find out wot other ppl have done to there cars ready for the big green hell....

I had the same wheels as you and DS2500 pads - no problems with stopping unless I did more than two laps without a cool down period. I also had buckets, harnesses, cage, standard suspension and lost as much weight from the car as I thought was practical.

Had a great time! I also think my standard suspension would be a better option for the ring than my current AST coilovers which are rather stiffly sprung.