ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Giving a 172 Cup some TLC

Now I've removed the crap it appears that one side had the drain hole blocked by a fallen sticker so it's a bit worse on one side but still not awful I dont think...
View attachment 1507541

Does that look too far gone for your method?

Is there any particular rust converter that's best? I've heard of bilt hamber

Cheers again Dave I really appreciate your help 👍
I'm far from an expert but that still doesnt look too bad to me. I assume there isnt any bubbling on the paint outside?

I think you should still crack on and do what I did. Look at post 13 in this thread and it shows the products I used. Hydrate 80 is the Bilt Hamber Rust converter I used. https://www.bilthamber.com/hydrate-80

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
I'm far from an expert but that still doesnt look too bad to me. I assume there isnt any bubbling on the paint outside?

I think you should still crack on and do what I did. Look at post 13 in this thread and it shows the products I used. Hydrate 80 is the Bilt Hamber Rust converter I used. https://www.bilthamber.com/hydrate-80

Yes theres a bit of bubbling on the outside, but not really adjacent to the rust inside if that makes sense? It's the other side of the rolled part of the arch.

20201124_145245.jpg

I'll get some hydrate 80 on my christmas list!!

Bloody thing wont start to go back in the garage now!!

Yes theres a bit of bubbling on the outside, but not really adjacent to the rust inside if that makes sense? It's the other side of the rolled part of the arch.

View attachment 1507548

Cool mate, I certainly think you cant do any harm to get the Hydrate on there as it dries clear anyway. You can then decide what you want to do next.

I suppose it all depends how far you want to go i.e. a local repair to that bubbling or spraying the rear quarter etc.

The main thing is it wont get any worse.

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Cool mate, I certainly think you cant do any harm to get the Hydrate on there as it dries clear anyway. You can then decide what you want to do next.

I suppose it all depends how far you want to go i.e. a local repair to that bubbling or spraying the rear quarter etc.

The main thing is it wont get any worse.

That's great, I'll order the stuff tonight. Did you prime and paint it too or is the hydrate 80 and spray wax sufficient. Apologies for all the questions, just want to get it right!

I think the best thing to do is get the hydrate 80 on then its up to how far you want to go after that. I think painting inside the arches is probably overkill but Ive seen some people doing it if they feel confident.

Whatever you decide to do after the Hydrate, the very last coat would be the Dynax or equivalent anti corrosion wax. The Dynax UB was originally designed for Marine Applications (Boats) so I think its more than up to the job of protecting the inner arches (y)

Nothing interesting to report other than the car is going into the Bodyshop tomorrow to get the front bumper repainted and OEM Washer Blanks fitted. I do have OEM headlights to replace the non OEM ones but upon close inspection today, there is some slight damage to the inside of the OEM lights so I’ll not fit them right now.

When it comes back from the Bodyshop I plan to get the whole car detailed and machine polished then it will be tucked away for the winter.

Quick boring pic of the engine bay as it stands right now. No real plans to change anything other than give everything a good clean over the winter months.

Cheers.
5EFD08F5-9B53-4C38-8277-5DF24B891D9C.jpeg

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
I think the best thing to do is get the hydrate 80 on then its up to how far you want to go after that. I think painting inside the arches is probably overkill but Ive seen some people doing it if they feel confident.

Whatever you decide to do after the Hydrate, the very last coat would be the Dynax or equivalent anti corrosion wax. The Dynax UB was originally designed for Marine Applications (Boats) so I think its more than up to the job of protecting the inner arches (y)

Hi Dave, hydrate 80 arrived today so that's tomorrow's job sorted... how much coverage of it did you do? Am I best to coat the whole of the rear quarter inside, or just the rusty bits and seams ?

I wont bother painting it, just wax when it arrives....

Ian

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Nothing interesting to report other than the car is going into the Bodyshop tomorrow to get the front bumper repainted and OEM Washer Blanks fitted. I do have OEM headlights to replace the non OEM ones but upon close inspection today, there is some slight damage to the inside of the OEM lights so I’ll not fit them right now.

When it comes back from the Bodyshop I plan to get the whole car detailed and machine polished then it will be tucked away for the winter.

Quick boring pic of the engine bay as it stands right now. No real plans to change anything other than give everything a good clean over the winter months.

Cheers. View attachment 1507747

Look forward to seeing the bumper when it's done 👍

Hi Dave, hydrate 80 arrived today so that's tomorrow's job sorted... how much coverage of it did you do? Am I best to coat the whole of the rear quarter inside, or just the rusty bits and seams ?

I wont bother painting it, just wax when it arrives....

Ian
Good stuff Mate.
I think you just need to apply to the rusty bits really. it should stop any corrosion in its tracks and help to protect for the future.

The wax the stuff you want to try and get a good coverage of, in the seams etc.

I just followed the instructions for each product on the Bilt Hamber website

Bit of an update but as is the norm with old cars, things never quite go to plan!

The car was booked into the Bodyshop to have the front bumper painted as it had been painted in the past and was a terrible match. It also had rubber bungs in place of the Headlight washer blanks, these were to be replaced with OEM blanks.

When I dropped the car off I had asked about the matte bump strips along both sides of the car, basically they were discoloured and quite badly chipped in places. We agreed that the Bodyshop would paint these too.

I also mentioned that I was going to get the whole car machine polished once it was painted and the Bodyshop said they could do that too.

Here are some quick pics of how it looks now.... I have the bumper stickers but just haven’t fitted them yet.

80CAC387-D4F4-4686-99CF-702DEBAFE18D.jpeg
8E086F50-304E-46F0-AC10-5407DC382EF2.jpeg
314E6418-96F0-4FAE-BD0F-5EDC0F589682.jpeg
776E696C-5254-4290-A0F9-FD7C609FA52E.jpeg
EFAA31AF-0766-4373-9D67-690CC26804D2.jpeg
490EBCE8-889E-44AE-A666-1E3EBEE2FCF8.jpeg
E3AB3915-A8BE-4672-A171-DA79FE7EDBD1.jpeg

You will notice that it’s still missing the washer blanks! Unfortunately this seems like a job too far as the Bodyshop say there is just no way they could get the blanks to sit flush with the bumper.

After a quick consultation with @Mbeau who I picked the blanks up from, it seems they usually need a bit of heat to get a good fit.

A bit disappointing that they couldnt fit them but in the grand scheme of things, I think the car looks pretty good now.

I reckon I’ll have a go at fitting the blanks myself so if anyone has any pearls of wisdom regarding this please let me know.
88274553-339F-41AF-8121-4E49A84AD457.jpeg
B1B6491D-9F25-4EAE-B6E6-6B55BE05D74C.jpeg

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
Bit of an update but as is the norm with old cars, things never quite go to plan!

The car was booked into the Bodyshop to have the front bumper painted as it had been painted in the past and was a terrible match. It also had rubber bungs in place of the Headlight washer blanks, these were to be replaced with OEM blanks.

When I dropped the car off I had asked about the matte bump strips along both sides of the car, basically they were discoloured and quite badly chipped in places. We agreed that the Bodyshop would paint these too.

I also mentioned that I was going to get the whole car machine polished once it was painted and the Bodyshop said they could do that too.

Here are some quick pics of how it looks now.... I have the bumper stickers but just haven’t fitted them yet.

View attachment 1508242View attachment 1508243View attachment 1508245View attachment 1508247View attachment 1508249View attachment 1508250View attachment 1508251

You will notice that it’s still missing the washer blanks! Unfortunately this seems like a job too far as the Bodyshop say there is just no way they could get the blanks to sit flush with the bumper.

After a quick consultation with @Mbeau who I picked the blanks up from, it seems they usually need a bit of heat to get a good fit.

A bit disappointing that they couldnt fit them but in the grand scheme of things, I think the car looks pretty good now.

I reckon I’ll have a go at fitting the blanks myself so if anyone has any pearls of wisdom regarding this please let me know.View attachment 1508253View attachment 1508254

Wow that's really looking good Dave. I must get mine booked in for a machine polish in the new year, yours looks to have come up really well.

Wow that's really looking good Dave. I must get mine booked in for a machine polish in the new year, yours looks to have come up really well.

Yes mate, I suspected there was a decent paint job hiding in there somewhere but it just hadn’t been looked after for a long time !

I also suppose the end result is only as good as the polisher !

Looks really smart mate, have you got the door badges to fit?
Yeah mate but to be honest they look like they will last one wash before they fall off again ! Actually pretty shocked at how cheap and nasty the door badges feel.

Ive got the correct badges for the boot also but will need time and patience to get them lined up properly.

Thankfully my bro has 2 Clios I can copy the positions from.
6B40CBA4-57DB-4B31-95C6-A6CF1E509FBB.jpeg

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah mate but to be honest they look like they will last one wash before they fall off again ! Actually pretty shocked at how cheap and nasty the door badges feel.

Ive got the correct badges for the boot also but will need time and patience to get them lined up properly.

Thankfully my bro has 2 Clios I can copy the positions from.
View attachment 1508349
He’s got one in the best colour too 😉

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
It’s actually a very clean, fairly low mile example. It was the motivation for me to buy mine.
I was being sincere, I love titanium and not saying that because I own one. I actually went out of my way to find one for my second clio. It’s not many peoples cup of tea any more, but it’s a colour of the time. Back in the 00’s Silver was like white now! But Titanium silver clean and in the sun looks so fresh. I genuinely love it!

I was being sincere, I love titanium and not saying that because I own one. I actually went out of my way to find one for my second clio. It’s not many peoples cup of tea any more, but it’s a colour of the time. Back in the 00’s Silver was like white now! But Titanium silver clean and in the sun looks so fresh. I genuinely love it!
Yes, I know you were mate. Sorry for any confusion. I tried to buy his car before I bought my Cup !

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1507548

The only way you'll stop that permanently is to 'cut it out' or replace the sill. Sadly there's a 'seam' where the sill and arch panels meet. If corrosion gets in between the seam then no amount of anti-corrosion treatment will stop it. You can slow the process down and stop it spreading up the wheel arch though by scrubbing as much corrosion and crust off the inside of the panel as possible. Then use the Hydrate 80 to stabilise the corrosion and create a surface where the Electrox can be applied. Then apply the Dynax-UB. I wouldn't have the external panel painted until the panels have been replaced, as the bubbles will come back immediately.

IW365

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup 2002
The only way you'll stop that permanently is to 'cut it out' or replace the sill. Sadly there's a 'seam' where the sill and arch panels meet. If corrosion gets in between the seam then no amount of anti-corrosion treatment will stop it. You can slow the process down and stop it spreading up the wheel arch though by scrubbing as much corrosion and crust off the inside of the panel as possible. Then use the Hydrate 80 to stabilise the corrosion and create a surface where the Electrox can be applied. Then apply the Dynax-UB. I wouldn't have the external panel painted until the panels have been replaced, as the bubbles will come back immediately.

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I've finished off treating the inside of the rear quarters today, which will hopefully buy me some time. I'll look at doing the inside of the arches like you said when the temperature in the garage is a bit higher!!

I'm hoping that now the car is semi retired and will only see the road on dry spring/summer days that it'll slow the spread down. I'll have to get onto it eventually I know but I'd like to do a couple more mechanical jobs before moving onto the bodywork.

Cheers for the advice.

Ian.

Not much progress on the car front. It’s parked up for what will probably be the majority of the winter.

5D91D3AA-E18C-4C73-B761-90E9B7938421.jpeg

Had my first flat battery the other day so managed to source a Battery charger/trickle charger from @Euan Baguette.

I have a few recent purchases that will go on the car over the winter,

Orange Side Repeaters courtesy of @Mbeau

DE518CFC-E5A9-4C0F-BC7F-3196D917FF7B.jpeg

A new Grill and genuine fixings purchased from @renaultpartsdirect as the current one is damaged.
81F6913B-F7CE-4352-9DB6-FD22D8B2D95C.jpeg

A new Bonnet Alarm sensor from @renaultpartsdirect
Slam Panel stickers
Still need the Headlight washer blanks fitted.

Cheers

4825D847-75B4-4314-94B4-55C5319616BF.jpeg
2979ECB0-205F-41E1-BA1D-CA414F24F73D.jpeg
8AB3FC5B-0A43-4B95-A6BF-0346D932EB8D.jpeg
Brought the Clio out of the garage last week as the weather seemed to have improved. Wanted to see if the car was watertight, looks like I picked a great week as it chucked it down all week.

Strangely enough the only minor leak I found was from one of my brand new boot Grommets! A bit of silicone resolved that one. Everything else looks all good !

The most recent action on the car is I got a Sports Cat fitted. Still need to get my new grill fitted along with Headlight washer blanks. Apart from that, the car should be good to go!

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice mate! That new grill has made a huge difference.
Slightly envious of your Renault fitment Turrinis , I need to source a set.

What bodyshop did you use? I'm down in the Borders but looking at a few bodyshops for some work on mine in the spring. Decent bodyshops are few and far between around here so I'll be trekking up to Edinburgh and the Lothians.

Very nice mate! That new grill has made a huge difference.
Slightly envious of your Renault fitment Turrinis , I need to source a set.

What bodyshop did you use? I'm down in the Borders but looking at a few bodyshops for some work on mine in the spring. Decent bodyshops are few and far between around here so I'll be trekking up to Edinburgh and the Lothians.
That’s still the old grill mate ! New one being fitted soon.

When I bought my car it had non Cup ET Turinis. When someone points out the differences it’s impossible to unsee !

I used a local Bodyshop here in Falkirk. He does a decent job but is always very busy and slightly difficult to tie down at times.

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
That’s still the old grill mate ! New one being fitted soon.

When I bought my car it had non Cup ET Turinis. When someone points out the differences it’s impossible to unsee !

I used a local Bodyshop here in Falkirk. He does a decent job but is always very busy and slightly difficult to tie down at times.
Your old grill doesn’t look as grey as most then haha!

Would you be able to PM the name of the body shop? I’m off to get a few quotes in the near future for mine.