ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going to view a car tomorrow, want to leave a deposit.

Clio_Smart
Im going to view a car tomorrow and as im going alone in my clio i cant drive away in the new car if i decide to buy.

So i want to leave a deposit.

Do i tell him before hand my intentions ?

Its my first time on my own.

Any advice on viewing ?

Thanks

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
DO NOT GO ON YOUR OWN!!

I don't mean to sound rude mate, but you sound a bit naive, you will get your pants pulled down.

Where do you live??

Family Bus
Always best to get someone to go with you...wouldnt leave a deposit unless you are 100% sure its genuine and right.

If anything, go look at it, if you want it go back for it asap and hope its still there!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Too far for me mate, i'd have pooped along to give you a hand. (I sell cars for a living)

Can't you take a mate/brother/cousin etc??

Clio_Smart
Well im working away during the week and i could only arrange to view tomorrow and i cant seem to find anyone who is free.

Clio_Smart
Private.

Im arriving just after 1pm as he says he doesnt live far from his work and it will be during his lunch break.

He could be telling the truth, who knows.

how wierd, im also going to view a car on my own tommorow, didnt reallt think about it tbh

Clio_Smart
Im only taking a deposit with me and i only wanted advice i didnt think it would be a problem going on my own.

Racing blue 182
your better taking someone with you for their opinion and your saftey
also when looking at cars you can look at them with 'rose tinted spectacles' and not see the faults
i always take someone with me when i look at cars

BMW E92/Audi S3
The more people you bring. less you will pay. I baught all of my brothers once. We took the house, the car and the woman

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you leave a deposit, make sure you see some photo ID off him. I hear so many stories of people leaving £200 deposits and the seller does a runner. They've Only got to do that 3 times a week for a nice living!!

Get everything in writing also.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Check Vin number on the cars chassis with the logbook. Better still, do an HPI check there and then. They will confirm EVERY little detail about the car and the registration document.

Is the guy foreign??

Da

Less
Have you HPi'd it already Terry?

Might save you a journey if there's something dodgy.

I wouldn't give it a second thought about going on my own to be honest but then as Dan states I think you need to be wary.

Are you meeting him at his home address?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Have you HPi'd it already Terry?

Might save you a journey if there's something dodgy.

I wouldn't give it a second thought about going on my own to be honest but then as Dan states I think you need to be wary.

Are you meeting him at his home address?

My concern is when someone feels the need to ask 'should I go on my own' then to me that means they are not knowledgable/confident enough to go on their own.

IMO of course.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Go on your own if noone else is willing to go with. But assess the car properly irrespective of how much you like it. As said above get rose tinted specs off

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've went on my own to all of my viewings. I had taken notes of what to look for from the buyers guide on here, and having read loads of random threads on here, I knew what to expect of the car and when I thought the dealer was chatting s**t or not. Wasn't going to bother taking my Dad unless I was happy with it myself. Go check it out myself, if I'm happy with it, then go back with my Dad for his opinion.

I've seen about 7/8 and yesterday I saw one by myself and was happy to put £100 deposit down. Went again today with my Dad and he was happy with it as well.

I have to say, I am really picky before I buy anything. I will always double check, triple check just to make sure I'm not buying the wrong thing or overpaying etc. Like last week, the TV I wanted came back in stock but I had to re-read the webpage 3/4 times to make sure I wasn't misreading lol can never be too careful with big purchases. Even yesterday, I said I was going to put a deposit down to the guy but still checked the history again before doing so.

Only go yourself if you're confident you know what to look for and expect. And only put a deposit down if you're really happy with it and the price justifies the condition, history and work to be done. Make sure you get a receipt, and if private, proof of address. Plus point of getting my Dad involved was the guy eventually caved in to re-MOT it (due in April) within the price.