ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Good spec laptop for around £300 - £400

CBR1000RR Fireblade
SSD makes a massive difference I would recommend getting one or getting a macbook with one already installed.

I use a mid 2012 macbook air with 8GB of ram which i have had from new, for DJ'ing. I use rekordbox with a DDJ RB, all run from my MacBook Air. i have found that 128GB SSD is more than ample for a DJ laptop (that you only use for DJ'ing obviously). 250 songs take up around 1GB of storage space depending on the sound quality of each track. I have around 3100 MP3 320kbps unmixed tracks and they take up around 24GB of storage space.

It has already been mentioned in the thread but if you're wanting more space because you have run out of room, USB sticks can be used to DJ from. Although its not ideal, it can be done. Just make sure that you don't pull the USB sticks out of the computer half way through your set.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
If people don't want to carry an external drive, they can pay more and get a bigger internal drive. It's all about use and context.

My old dear's laptop might have a 1tb drive in it, but only 80gb of it is in use. It's 3 years old, and she's done accounts on it since day 1.

Win will fit onto a 32gb compute stick. OP wants to be a mobile DJ. So long as serato and windows can fit on the boot drive, with room for a hibernation file, then that's all they need. All the tracks can be held externally.

Yes yes, it'd be lovely to have 1tb of Optane storage, but not everyone wants to pay for that.

Will have to agree to disagree with you on that one. Rest of that laptop is decent and then it's shipped with that crap ssd. Soon as you start putting anything like CS6, auto cad or what ever other large apps plus updates plus a few games etc that space limitation will soon be seen.
I wouldn't expect 1tb but when this considerably cheaper one comes with a 256 I think that one should also tbh

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/-1w...dl4Y1hmzuRqha2-RDeAFWntMuSm7nvDhoCwkQQAvD_BwE

Listerine & Poledo
Will have to agree to disagree with you on that one. Rest of that laptop is decent and then it's shipped with that crap ssd. Soon as you start putting anything like CS6, auto cad or what ever other large apps plus updates plus a few games etc that space limitation will soon be seen.
I wouldn't expect 1tb but when this considerably cheaper one comes with a 256 I think that one should also tbh

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/-1w...dl4Y1hmzuRqha2-RDeAFWntMuSm7nvDhoCwkQQAvD_BwE
Did you even read what the OP wants it for?

And as much as yes,that's got a bigger SSD... it's also running an old A6 and 4gb of RAM.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Did you even read what the OP wants it for?

And as much as yes,that's got a bigger SSD... it's also running an old A6 and 4gb of RAM.

Of course I did, and I also realise the one I posted is of a lesser spec.
I'm talking generally in that 128 is pants on a laptop with the rest of the spec being as good as it is...

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Of course I did, and I also realise the one I posted is of a lesser spec.
I'm talking generally in that 128 is pants on a laptop with the rest of the spec being as good as it is...

A Dj's laptop should only be used for playing tracks / DJ software / Controller firmware updates. 128GB maybe small for an everyday laptop but it's more than ample for DJ's. Especially if you start to use external SSD's or 3.0 USB sticks to play your music from.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
As said before, I'll agree to disagree with you on that one.
I wouldn't recommend something with a 128 to any of my customers though!

I don't get it?

Why would you not recommend 128GB for DJ use?

Genuine question, I'm curious

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I don't get it?

Why would you not recommend 128GB for DJ use?

Genuine question, I'm curious

Because the likelihood (for a non techie) of it becoming too full too quickly is too great. Windows gets gets more and more bloated over time, music collection becomes more bloated as more is added, new versions of the DJ s software becomes more bloated, DJ decides to try other new software to see if it's better... DJ invariably starts letting their children play with it etc...

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Because the likelihood (for a non techie) of it becoming too full too quickly is too great. Windows gets gets more and more bloated over time, music collection becomes more bloated as more is added, new versions of the DJ s software becomes more bloated, DJ decides to try other new software to see if it's better... DJ invariably starts letting their children play with it etc...

Seems to do me just nicely. I've only got a small collection of tracks though at 3124.

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 19.22.20.png

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
My DJ software takes up 55.9Mb lol.

Have 76.7Gb of music mind you, which is all on a SD card... but could easily fit on the 128Gb SSD as well.

If that's all I was using it for it'd be madness to get more. Unless you're into music production as well as Ableton soon becomes f**king huge.

Listerine & Poledo
Quite frankly, if you're not rocking 1TB of Optane, your computer is worthless and just wont handle switching on the second you download a jpg.
:sleeping:

CBR1000RR Fireblade
My DJ software takes up 55.9Mb lol.

Have 76.7Gb of music mind you, which is all on a SD card... but could easily fit on the 128Gb SSD as well.

If that's all I was using it for it'd be madness to get more. Unless you're into music production as well as Ableton soon becomes f**king huge.

How'd you find dj'ing straight from the SD card? Does it work Ok?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Never knew that... works perfectly, anyway.

Just need to sort me some new headphones as mine are falling apart!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Gentleman I was think of a ssd specced MB air. 2012 roughly 13" screen. Any good?

I like the design better and reading the reviews they were almost the same!

Also is it the 2012/2013 Model I want?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Gentleman I was think of a ssd specced MB air. 2012 roughly 13" screen. Any good?

I like the design better and reading the reviews they were almost the same!

Also is it the 2012/2013 Model I want?

Mine is a mid 2012 13 inch macbook air. It's worked perfectly for 6 years. Not had one issue

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lovely. Really don't need the disc drive or more than one usb really so sold!