ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got a phone call from the military police today..

Shhh
something is wrong with your car.

I think, hmm, nothing wrong with it.?

Slot1.gif

As i get closer i notice this, but i had wiped it away before i took the picture :(

mine1.gif

And the other car..

His1.gif

Owner wants to not go through his insurance company and has tasked me to get quotes to get the thing repaired. Spoke to a local bodyshop which wants £15 to have the car in and give me a quote as there could be other damage to the car aswell.

Thing is like, i dont have the bloody time to get quotes, i work 7-30am till 4-30pm mon-fri so no time to be ringing about, nevermind taking car to garages etc. Oh, they closed on a saturday too..

I thinking now i should be going through his insurance for such a small damage on the corner. Also noticed that the bumper was cracked too on the front edge.

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
Harsh m8, but at least he let you know. Most people would be a c**k and just drive away!

Shhh
Was informed that there was a policeman walking past at the time when the incident occured. Just annoyed now that i have to spend my time getting the thing fixed. Feel like i should just ring my insurance company and get it done this week. Company said i can bring it in on thursday for a estimate if i take it too them about 18mile away. They close when i finish work, so no chance of getting it over to them. Doubt the guy can afford for them to come collect the car from me, give me a car, then drop it off when its done.

Im so unsure how much a price will cost. The pictures dont show the damage to the bumper, but its scraped some of the black plastic away. Noticed the rear end of the car has marks on it too, around the rear bumper area but unsure how they have gotten there. The scratches were white in colour therefore indicating fresh marks, but when i asked him, he clearly denied any such thing as hitting the rear end of the car too. Not had chance to get out yet and blow the dirt off, unsure of the front corner where it connects to the car in picture 2 has been pushed up or not.

If the bumper has been pushed as it has, would that affect the mountings etc.? or any other things..?

Does look like the front of the bumper isn't evenly spaced like the back of it is now you mention it.

Don't go through the insurance company. If it was me i'd be worried about loosing no claims and my own premium. Snap up the offer of him paying for it privately. Decent bloke for telling you.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Chris K said:
Don't go through the insurance company. If it was me i'd be worried about loosing no claims and my own premium. Snap up the offer of him paying for it privately. Decent bloke for telling you.

Agreed, ring his insurance company and get them to sort it, he's admitted fault so they'll do it.

Both times I've been smashed I made sure that my ins company didn't lift a finger or spend anything. Meant it was all done through their ins and my ncb wasn't touched at all. I know your ins company claim it all back, but if someone asks have you claimed on your insurance in the last x years I can say nope not at all :)

MINI JCW
Evoo said:
Agreed, ring his insurance company and get them to sort it, he's admitted fault so they'll do it.

Both times I've been smashed I made sure that my ins company didn't lift a finger or spend anything. Meant it was all done through their ins and my ncb wasn't touched at all. I know your ins company claim it all back, but if someone asks have you claimed on your insurance in the last x years I can say nope not at all :)

Thats nice, the bloke in question has been decent enough to admit he has done the damage and also says he will pay for it, mainly so he doesnt lose his NCD. Just take it to Renault get a quote and then send him the bill, simple as. If you ring his insurance company you are punishing him for admitting he hit you (just remember he could have easily just drove off)

Shhh
Got a bodyshop down in sleaford called AW - http://www.awrepairgroup.co.uk/

I live in the middle of nowhere, nearest renault bodyshop works out to either be in lincoln (30mile away), or the other side of cambridge. Car is the only form of transport as bike is off the road. Im working all week, away at the weekend, then on nights next week. Sure aint gonna be in the mood to drag me ass round bodyshops to get a quote on something i aint caused myself. I know its nice that he owned up, but i think the police were passing at the time so he could not do anything about it, or thats what i was informed by the police when they called me in.

I was going to ring my insurance and ask them about how i would go on with this. If the quote is too high, he maybe think im trying have him on about this, the bumper nolonger sits square on the wing, so unsure whats going on as per picture 2. I really really hate the car, its a piece of poo and i wish i never bought the damn thing with everything that goes wrong with the poor little bugger.

So you think the bumper needs to come off, be repaired, prepped then sprayed and refitted then.

Anyone have a fair rough price then.? £200 ishy sound ok.? or should i expect more if i went to renault.

I know the car has a 12yr paint warranty, so going through someone else may affect the warranty call on the car..

What you think.? Never had an accident, had to claim before in my life.

1.6 focus zetec....
Id say it was knocking on close to £400 for that!! But fair play to the chap for phoning up!!

Kiza

Punto/Clio GTT
400 quid??? what you on dude?

mobile company would do that for under 100.

bumper dont need to come off. absolute most at a bodyshop will be 150

1.6 focus zetec....
I was thinking of him having to have a new bumper...i also thought to myself after typing it...what drugs you on lol!!! If the clips holding the bumper on are broke or bent its a bit more than £100 i think!!

Kiza

Punto/Clio GTT
ide put my house on it being nomore than 150 at a bodyshop and there being no damage whatsoever to any thing else other than the light scratches.

ive seen more damage on my c**k lol

Yaris Hybrid
What ever you decide, keep your insurance company out of it.

Even though it aint your fault you would be declaring a no fault accident/claim for the next five years.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
gazcaddy said:
Thats nice, the bloke in question has been decent enough to admit he has done the damage and also says he will pay for it, mainly so he doesnt lose his NCD. Just take it to Renault get a quote and then send him the bill, simple as. If you ring his insurance company you are punishing him for admitting he hit you (just remember he could have easily just drove off)

I agree for this don' tdo it through insurance if he's willing to pay, sadly both my bumps were too costly (one writing off my old car :( ).

Astra SRi T
how did he manage it the space it pretty big?!?! like its been said luckly he adminted it to u, ive had it done a few times and people have driven off.

HBB

GLC63s & A35
Try not to go through his insurance as you may lose him his NCB and then he may not tell the next person he hits.This happened to me a few months back and I didnt go through insurance as I know how pissed off I'd be to lose my NCB for that!

Shhh
Just the pure hassle of getting the quotes, i live about 12mile from boston, 30 ishy from lincoln. Nearest bodyshop is in sleaford, about 15mile away.

Then i gotta get there when they are open, but i finish after they shut. No courtsey car as thats £15 a day, just pure hassle now........

Hassle, Hassle, Hassle..

Need someone to collect, drop me a car off, then deliver the car.. thats what i need. :)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
15 miles is a half hour drive if that, plus through the insurance it'll take just as long and you could potentially have to declare on your insurance over the next 3-5 years and have him lose his NCB. He's willing to pay for the full repair for you, I personally would take him up on it. Pop into a body shop on your way home from work...

A clio
If you havent got the time then go throught your insurance. who cares if he looses his ncb or pays even more money, the nob should have thought about that before he smacked you!

Its not as if there wasnt any room to park his car lmfao! i hope hes not a soldier as he cannot see straight!

A Beautiful R32
Chris K said:

I had a very similar thing last year. Someone reversed into me. Totally their fault and they admitted as such. As I started fishing around for quotes it became clear it wasn't going to be straightforward. So I asked my insurance company to deal with it. They put me through an assisted repair scheme where their legal company recovered all expenses. Therefore I didn't have to claim and it didn't affect my (protected) NCB. It cost my insurer £0... So it won't affect my insurance in future as it was not my fault and all costs were recovered.

My damage was very similar to yours, however when they took the front bumper off they couldn't get it back on again. Basically lots of the mounts were broken/bent. It took two weeks to sort out (mainly cos they couldn't get the parts) but in those two weeks I needed a hire car, which they arranged and charged to the other parties insurance.

As far as protecting their NCB, maybe next time they'll park properly, it's not like they only just touched you. Also, you have to declare EVERY accident you have, not just whether you've claimed or not.

By the way, if your bumper is cracked, it could get VERY expensive. £500+, what's to stop him turning round at a later date and refusing to pay. Use your insurance company bud, that's why you pay them so much money every year.

Last edited:
  Inferno 182
Davey182 said:
As far as protecting their NCB, maybe next time they'll park properly, it's not like they only just touched you. Also, you have to declare EVERY accident you have, not just whether you've claimed or not.

By the way, if your bumper is cracked, it could get VERY expensive. £500+, what's to stop him turning round at a later date and refusing to pay. Use your insurance company bud, that's why you pay them so much money every year.

Agreed :)

The only way I would accept someone's offer to pay is if the police are there at the time in which case you can ask them to make a note of the agreement giving you some comeback if the guy changes his mind later.

Turbos.
People make mistakes, i'm sure if you did it you'd be hoping for a break too.

I would say that is probably £100 worth of work, why not just say to the bloke it's £200 to be safe and take the money and get it done when you can?

Audi TT 3.2 V6
least you were lucky enough for the guy to stop..i got hit by a white van while i was in the car driving and he failed to stop.

A Beautiful R32
If I did have an acident and I was to blame, I would still use my insurance company as they would be protecting me from legal claims and from someone claiming over the top for a small scratch.

Doing things through the insurance will save so much hassle in the long run. Everything will be above board, you won't have to worry and you'll be protecting yourself.

When the bloke reversed into me, he was very apologetic so I thought I'd give him a chance, when I told him the quotes were between £50 and £500 he went ballistic and started to threaten me, saying "well I'll say you ran into me", nevermind that I had a witness in the car and CCTV. He also got aggressive down the phone (though he didn't appear to have the bottle to do that face to face). At that point I called my insurer who I'd kept informed the whole way through, and I told them how he had changed and become menacing, they were already asking me to take over the case for my protection before this. While I was on the phone to them, they called the third party and he admitted liability ON TAPE... and that was pretty much the end of that. Unbelievable how someone who seemed to be a decent person suddenly turned out to be pretty unpleasant. I was very grateful to my insurers legal department, they were very good.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Its a shitter having your car ran into, but as said, a least you are lucjy enough for someone to have seen it and he has owned upto.

As for the bumper being unevenly space theyre all like that. Its really is ting impact and as such there will be no chasis damage or anything.

Personally i would wanting it sorting quickly. Hes offered to pay. Its done and is sorted easily. Thats £200 notes at most.

133/225/CLS AMG
To be honest you're quite lucky that the 3rd party has agreed to pay for it!!

My missus had her car hit in exactly the same place and coincidentally its a 182 in racing blue with stripes. But unfortunately whoever did that decided to drive off and leave it damaged. That was her £300 out of pocket.

It is a pain mate but best to have it fixed, sadly these things happen with car ownership. :(

Shhh
Got a quote, getting a few other things fixed aswell. Total price comes to about £140, he is going to paint the corner and blend it into the paint. Got his number from Renault as he was on-site today. Managed to see his work, so im happy to go with it.

Said for his damage, will be about £90. Thats all dependant on the bumper fitting right when he tries to reduce the gap on the wing.

Davey182 said:
It cost my insurer £0... So it won't affect my insurance in future as it was not my fault and all costs were recovered.

As far as I know and certainly it applied to me (very similar, my car was hit while I was not in it, insurance job, all costs including excess recovered), you still had an accident. e.g. If you go throgh a website there is an entry for 'no fault, all costs recovered' and you still get penalised to some degree.

Probably cost me £200 over the following years I had to state that someone hit my car when I wasnt in it.

A Beautiful R32
I checked this (it's renewal time) and my insurer have said there will be no increase on policy price because of it. I also checked online and it made no difference with Direct Line or any of the others.

My insurer did say however that there was a statistic that showed those who have had a no fault accident are more likely to have an at fault accident later!! Unbelievable. As such there may be a slight increase because of this with some insurers!!

I had no choice really, and I'm glad I went through the insurer, especially after the third party became rude and offensive.