ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got hit by a cyclist today..

Suzuki Ignis Sport
in the rain, and the cyclist behind me, bumped into the back of my car, as i was braking, and has made a massive dent in the boot lid.

the cyclist has given me his name, number, address and insurance company name.

I have never claimed from a cyclist before, so how do i go about claiming? is it the same for a car on car incident??

Any help would be grateful!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Stupid moving bollards.

Ring them with a repair quote? If he won't pay then I'm sure someone will be along to tell you how to claim.

I almost went ape s**t at one today plodding along in the middle of the road holding up all the traffic lol. Ther was a perfectly good path literally 10 feet from him to use!

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Firstly i would check the info he gave you was correct.................

Suzuki Ignis Sport
His number is legit, as he has texted me back, i can't ring the insurance company he gave me, as it is closed so can't confirm that his details are correct etc. Will do this first thing tomorrow morning.

Cyclist insurance is getting more common nowadays. The insurance company he mentioned was JLT Online Virtual Insurance Solutions... http://www.jltonline.co.uk/about.asp

Suzuki Ignis Sport
fair play to the guy for being so honest, id say its a given but in this day and age...

Yeah I have to admit, i'm pretty surprised he gave me all his details, but not going to speak to soon just in case it goes tits up!... guess we'll find out tomorrow when i ring up the insurance companies!

Suzuki Ignis Sport
I didn't get a pic of his bike! Maybe I really should have but it was pissing down with rain. I'll upload a pic of my car later!

Golf GTD Mk7
I think I read somewhere on here they're covered by home insurance. Could be wrong though

Not sure thats correct tbh. They do specific cycling insurance, although I doubt many (myself included) have it as it's not compulsary. Cyclists need to be more careful imo, I see some shocking sites, and to go into the back of someone it silly.

Edit: I just did a quote for myself, which includes public liability upto 1million, and including bike cover and it's only £90 for the year. Might have to invest in some

Last edited:
Stupid moving bollards.

Ring them with a repair quote? If he won't pay then I'm sure someone will be along to tell you how to claim.

I almost went ape s**t at one today plodding along in the middle of the road holding up all the traffic lol. Ther was a perfectly good path literally 10 feet from him to use!

Sigh....same old attitude.

This path you're referring to, was it a footpath?

Lotus Elise
I dont mind cyclists until they start to cycle side by side at that point they turn into cretins.

We had Cyclist insurance whilst we were doing our DoE awards its relatively cheap.

Yeah don't want to get onto the whole "cyclists are a pain thing"

But, cycling in the middle of the road is not okay, unless at a complex junction and the cyclist is going to get blocked in if they stay in the cycle lane.

And cycling two a breast is unacceptable. Never is cycling side by side safe, clever, advantageous to anyone. Unless overtaking/on an empty country road, it should never happen.

And cycling two a breast is unacceptable. Never is cycling side by side safe, clever, advantageous to anyone.
Yes its an inconvience to you as they are probably going slower than a car but if you ever overtake a cyclist you need to give them at least a cars anyway. A lot of them do it to prevent motorists making stupid overtaking moves when there isn't enough room. Just be more patient.

You did though.

Lotus Elise
Yes its an inconvience to you as they are probably going slower than a car but if you ever overtake a cyclist you need to give them at least a cars anyway. A lot of them do it to prevent motorists making stupid overtaking moves when there isn't enough room. Just be more patient.

Self righteous much? Not you just silly cyclists. I cycle a lot so Im not a massive cyclist basher but some of them are as bad as horse riders.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Well for the record, I was driving in the middle of the lane, leaving loads of space to my left (the start of the pavement/double yellow line), and space to my right (the dividers) so i don't understand how he hit my car, he should have really been more to the left, therefore will miss me if i brake... he must have been cycling middle'ish of the lane!

Evo 5 RS
I dont mind cyclists until they start to cycle side by side at that point they turn into cretins.

We had Cyclist insurance whilst we were doing our DoE awards its relatively cheap.

LOL. This exactly

"Alright Dave?" "Yeah not bad Dave, just cycling with you waiting to get run over"

Like the start of a meat daisy chain just waiting to get ripped open.

Golf GTD Mk7

But, cycling in the middle of the road is not okay, unless at a complex junction and the cyclist is going to get blocked in if they stay in the cycle lane.

And cycling two a breast is unacceptable. Never is cycling side by side safe, clever, advantageous to anyone. Unless overtaking/on an empty country road, it should never happen.

I think you'll find that cyclist are entitled to 1m from the curb side, which is enough for 2 bikes ;)

Lotus Elise
Who is a cyclist to determine whether my overtaking will be dangerous or not. Like I said I dont mind cyclist just the ones who are cretins upset me.

You did though.

I know, I wasn't trying to, but some comments got my back up.

Let me please state as well, I am a cyclist myself so I'm looking from both sides of the fence.

Whenever I overtake I always give plenty of room, but how am I supposed to give plenty of room if they are taking up a large portion of the road, you say give a cars width, Okay I'll do that, but my car is one cars width, plus the width I give them, plus the half cars width they are taking up, how wide do you think the road is!?!

I think you'll find that cyclist are entitled to 1m from the curb side, which is enough for 2 bikes ;)

But they don't take up 100 cm do they!?! My shouldors width is probably circa 60cm alone, so it isn't enough for two bikes.

Seat Ibiza
If you read the highway code I believe cycling two a breast is advised.

And I pay road tax on three vehicles so if I want to cycle in the road away from all the crap and potholes, I will, and I sure many other people will!

If you get annoyed by it and it really ruins your day, try a bus?

Lotus Elise
If you read the highway code I believe cycling two a breast is advised.

And I pay road tax on three vehicles so if I want to cycle in the road away from all the crap and potholes, I will, and I sure many other people will!

If you get annoyed by it and it really ruins your day, try a bus?

Awh darling I hope you're not getting upset :( we are only having a little chat :D

That video is comedy!

The problem is, there is no test, you can go to halfords, pick up a £70 bike and off you pop, go and ride through Manchester, or London, or any city centre at rush hour.

Evo 5 RS
Agree it's a bit daft, you are essentially another road user. Or hardcore cyclists will have you know it.

There is your cycling proficiency though.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lotus Elise
Did mine in year 6 passed first time, someone in my class got hit by a car during his test. Oh how we lolled.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
The damage caused...
149789_596964084887_285600865_2555838_282056493_n.jpg

582023_596963965127_285600865_2555836_281559054_n.jpg

578857_596963870317_285600865_2555834_1690001845_n.jpg

Just been on the phone to insurance company for over an hour just now, and have found out he does have cyclist insurance, but does not have third party cover, so he isn't covered to pay for damages to my car!

So going to have to go to garage to get some quotes and HOPEFULLY he is willing to pay it off.... bloody hope so!

Unlucky mate, if he was good enough to give you his details, he might pay for it.

Or at least go halves with you?

Hope you get it fixed up all okay.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Unlucky mate, if he was good enough to give you his details, he might pay for it.

Or at least go halves with you?

Hope you get it fixed up all okay.

Yeh he seemed like a geniunely nice guy... so hopefully it will go my way... but he did send an arsey text just now! Saying...

i am in hospital at the moment with a dislocated shoulder, funny that you are worried about a dent in your car, and i am worried about fixing my body... humans are odd...

Yeh he seemed like a geniunely nice guy... so hopefully it will go my way... but he did send an arsey text just now! Saying...

He rode into you! Leave him be for a few days, won't take long for him to be discharged. Then remind him of his responsibilities.

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
Sounds about right, the cyclist in Bristol are nuts! No stopping at red lights, no giving way and they love to mount the pavements to avoid traffic! An what is he on about with that text, Obviously you're worried about fixing your car, the idiot cycled into it! An if he wasn't cycling like a tit, there would be no dent and he wouldn't have dislocated his shoulder.

Personally, if he doesn't pay up, I would go round his house an proceed to put a few dents in his bike. Eye for an eye an that.

Personally, if he doesn't pay up, I would go round his house an proceed to put a few dents in his bike. Eye for an eye an that.

Ignore that advice.

Just stay civil and keep pushing the matter. The second you inflict damage to him/his property, you've lost any chance of getting paid.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
He rode into you! Leave him be for a few days, won't take long for him to be discharged. Then remind him of his responsibilities.

Yeah I'm going to get the quote hopefully today, and leave it till after the weekend has passed... do u think that is suffice?... don't want to get uncivilised and i'll be out of pocket!

Sounds about right, the cyclist in Bristol are nuts! No stopping at red lights, no giving way and they love to mount the pavements to avoid traffic! An what is he on about with that text, Obviously you're worried about fixing your car, the idiot cycled into it! An if he wasn't cycling like a tit, there would be no dent and he wouldn't have dislocated his shoulder.

Well i'm pretty sure that denting his bike will not equate to the costs of fixing my dent, so i'd rather steal his bike and sell it! lol

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Hope you get it sorted, that text is retarded.

You're supposed to be worried about some random that has damaged your property?

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Ignore that advice.

Just stay civil and keep pushing the matter. The second you inflict damage to him/his property, you've lost any chance of getting paid.

Yeah I want to stay civil and diplomatic through the matter, don't want to rub him the wrong way and not get my way... so going to take my time in this... but at the same time i want the dent fixed ASAP!

Yeah I'm going to get the quote hopefully today, and leave it till after the weekend has passed... do u think that is suffice?... don't want to get uncivilised and i'll be out of pocket!

You want the dent fixed asap, so the best you can do is pay for it yourself, and hope he pays up upon proof of receipt.

Or you can wait, get a quote, give it to him and get him to pay the bodyshop, that way he won't feel like you're scamming him.