ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GPS "Trick" for 182 heat reflective screen

ClioSport 182
Dunno if this has been said before ...

I've been having a few problems with long TTFF with my GPS unit which was down to the 182 heat reflective screen. No real surprises there! The problem for GPS units sitting behind this screen is the cold start procedure to locate the satellites. Once done correctly, keeping track of satellites when moving does not seem to be a problem (especially with the new generation of SiRF III chipset with TomTom ONE, Garmin Nuvi, etc).

To get a good fix from a cold start just hold the unit next to the *side* window for a minute. Once you have a good lock then put it in its cradle under the windscreen and away you go!

Works for me every time.

As an aside, I seem to recall that for the 182 there are two windscreen variants: heat reflective and a "sound insulated" one. Anyone heard of the second?

KnightAzul

106 GTi
Nice tip, just get an additional attenna and save any bother though! lol

Not heard of the sound insulated screen.

Been having a few probswith my Renault fit Sat Nav, any ideas of what I can do to fix it? It takes ages to find a signal (the little egg timer thing stays up for ages) and it seems to be a couple of miles off of position, really bugging me now as there doesn't seem to be any instructions!!

Cheers!

ClioSport 182
Rich said:
Nice tip, just get an additional attenna and save any bother though! lol

Not heard of the sound insulated screen.

Wanted to avoid additional cables and clutter. Nothing worse than turning the dash of your 182 into a maze of cables! This was my choice option if the "trick" didn't work.

How did you mount the additional antenna? In the square patch on the windscreen or some other place?

KnightAzul

106 GTi
Not got GPS but my Road Angel one is here

ra-2.jpg

Wire runs down back of the dash, under the door rubbers etc along the drivers side sill, to the rear parcel shelf. All nice and tidy.

i just put my receiver on the dash under the clear 'square' of the reflective screen for its cold start, then move it into the cubby hole ontop of dash after.