ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Launch Report ~ 182 Cup

GR7

Shiny red R32

Launch Report - Renaultsport 182 Cup

Bargain Sporting Supermini by Ross Finlay (13 Oct 04)

Renault has produced some very hot hatchbacks over the years, and few more so than the <A title=http://dotm1.net/t.asp?l=37430&i=14171242 href= "http://dotm1.net/t.asp?l=37430&i=14171242Clio Renaultsport 182 Cup. Trying out this impressive machine on CARkeys this week, were very much taken with its performance, but if anything we admire how Renault has managed to make such an apparently ferocious device so tractable for everyday road use.

Myself, I think its a case for the Trade Descriptions Act enforcers. Heres what amounts to a road-going version of a Super 1600 competition car, a supermini with a 0-62mph time under seven seconds, lowered and firmed-up suspension, and two mean-looking tail pipes - and what does it feel like? It feels like a car very much at home pottering gently about, while letting you enjoy its super-smooth gear change action.

So what, in the case of the new 182 Cup model, went wrong? Well, somewhere along the line, the Renaultsport people must have reckoned that, while being forced by customer reaction (and the UK is the top market for Renaultsport cars - ahead of France itself) to put back the ABS and air conditioning which were chiselled out of the previous and now discontinued 172 Cup model in an effort to save as much weight as possible, they might as well go the whole hog and turn out an updated car which is much more than a track day machine - indeed, one I could easily imagine using every day in the week.

Stop pottering gently about, though, and the Renaultsport competition heritage comes to the fore. The aluminium pedals and gear lever knob (which is far too chilly to the touch in cold weather) start to make some kind of sense, the road-hugging suspension set-up likewise. Released from having to behave itself, the well balanced engine eats up the revs as it soars towards 180bhp, and a real little thoroughbred begins to enjoy itself.

With its revised steering, it just bullets through the corners, dips and S-bends, needing only a light touch at the wheel, and that lovely precise five-speed manual change shows that the Renaultsport guys English dictionary stops some way before F for Floppy. Some track day types may moan about the fact that Renault has put back ABS, but Im quite happy about that.

The engine revs with a sporting but not tiresome note, and on normal roads that firm suspension doesnt feel as if theres some kind of concrete being used as the damping medium.

Equipment levels? Well, the 182 Cup has manual air conditioning instead of the http://www.carkeys.co.uk/launches/renault/USPAN style=COLOR: #3366cc&gt; climate control/SPAN/U system fitted to the non-Cup version. Weight and cost are also saved by the use of a simpler radio/CD player and a lighter one-piece rear bench seat. You can forget about light-sensitive xenon headlamps with a wash facility, rain sensor wipers and the 182s heat reflecting windscreen glass. Putting back ABS and air conditioning of whatever type has reduced the Cup models weight advantage, but theres still no flab.

Some items of cabin trim have been scrapped, but youd hardly notice, because the interior is neatly laid out and presented, although less expensive upholstery takes the place of the standard 182s leather/Alcantara trim. I was aware once again that, while - to put it mildly - the three-door Clio is no great shakes for rear seat space, anybody sitting there has a much better window area than in many rival cars.

Outside, the 182 Cup does look the business, thanks to its lower front air dam, bigger http://www.carkeys.co.uk/launches/renault/USPAN style=COLOR: #3366cc&gt; rear spoiler/SPAN/U and dark grey-finished Renaultsport alloys. Buyers can opt for Gordini-style white competition stripes with the Racing Blue body colour, or metallic paintwork for the Inferno finish, a shade which isnt nearly as incandescent as its name suggests.

Some manufacturers selling this kind of sporting machine seem to think of a price and then add 30% or so. Renault hasnt gone down that route. The 182 Cup costs £13,800, which is £900 less than the better-equipped standard 182. But when you take into account the fact that the suspension and spoiler modifications which come with the Cup specification are a £395 option on the other car, this one seems an even better buy.

And when you give it its head, out on the open road, you cant help smiling. Factor that into the cost/benefit calculations too.

dk

911 GTS Cab

i agree with most of that apart from the gearknob being too cold o hold in winter, its leather with a plastic top, hardly like the puma one?

I wonder whether they did actually drive the car, let alone sit in one!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

So basically the 182 cup will look exactly the same as the 182 minus the good stuff that doesnt actually weight much ?? wtf ??

What a waste of time and effort. Brutal, but honest, i am.

Yaris Hybrid

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 14 October 2004

super slick gearchange?!

thats a first!
Talking of BS in car reviews, I just remembered what Clarkson said about the noise at 30mph in 5th gear. Tried that in my 182 today, couldnt hear a thing...

clarkson is good but he talks sh*te at times he drives about in 100k cars so you might hear more noise then you would in a merc

at one point he sums up the car as uncomfortable...then mentions the bit about the cup pack and then says "its amazingly comfortable"....total contradiction...

badly done review but the only video review ive seen! Has Fifth gear done a review yet?

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 14 October 2004

super slick gearchange?!

thats a first!
lol.... first thing that struck me. Sounds like the work experience kid at that magazine was given the 182 Cup assignment. The gear change isnt that bad, but slick it aint!! I think my Mums Scenics gearchange has a shorter throw!!

Look at things the other way around.

Renault bring out a 182 model clio (with cup spec), then 12 months later bring out a new model, say 182+, and add all the bits that are missing from the original, Climate i.l.o. A/C, xenons,(which were a £600-£800 option on a Jag), headlamp washers, uprated radio/CD, split/fold rear seat, leather/alcantara interior, auto lights and wipers, and anything else ive forgotten, and then charge only £900 more for it.

Im sure most would agree £900 isnt enough to trim off the price of the cup for all those missing bits.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

No its not.

I could appreciate the cup for what it was, even though reneault didnt go all the way when stripping it down.

But this is a joke. Here look at this new version of the 182.. look we stuck a cup badge on and everything..

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR

id still rather a normal 182 with cup bits and have the best of both worlds the handling and the comfort cos i doubt that there will be an only slight diff with the diff interior and no abs cos thats all the difference i can see

but i could be wrong cos as we all now cups are the fastest cars known to man ( only joking before i get flamed)

[Edited by Brooky182 on 15 October 2004 at 6:13pm]

[Edited by Brooky182 on 15 October 2004 at 6:17pm]

I suppose technically it will be the quickest 2 litre clio so far, howevr as much as I love the cup brand my money would be on the std 182, 20kg aint worth not having an RS interior!