ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GPU upgrade - 2060 super vs 2070??

Been looking at these cards as around my budget (400 ish) Watching a comparison video, the 2060 super was almost the same as a 2070, and this card below has better specs than the 2070s Im looking at.. So should I just go for this 2060s?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I was under the impression newer gen cards are on their way soon (ish) so might be worth waiting a few more months tbh.

I can’t see into the future but you would assume so 😀
Perhaps if they were being released in a couple weeks then Id wait and see 😄 The 970 is not keeping up and games are crashing more and sooner now (blame the gpu because its old and excuse for new one)

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
There will be a lot of 10 and 20 series cards going on the market in the next month or so I’d imagine. People like to sell them on in preparation for ordering the new one.

MSI 2070 on order (y) I didnt want a used one and I only need it for 1080p so think this will last a while! The 970 has done very well, but its hit or miss with newer games

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
MSI 2070 on order (y) I didnt want a used one and I only need it for 1080p so think this will last a while! The 970 has done very well, but its hit or miss with newer games
Probably the 4GB memory (or actually 3GB real-world memory) capacity that that card has was the issue.

At 1080, it's got the hardware to piss it - but with the likes of ACC using nearly 6GB alone at 1440, the actual physical memory is the limiting factor. Most modern games exceed 3GB VRAM usage, hence why you were struggling.

Ordered more ram as well, specs will now be

i5 6600k oc'd to 4.4ghz
MSI 2070 ventus
24gb ram
2x samsung evo ssds - OS and bits on 250gb and 1000gb for storage

Unless something breaks I dont see why Ill need to upgrade anything for a while

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Get yourself a copy of Far Cry 5, on sale on steam, loving it so far after 12hrs playing

Get yourself a copy of Far Cry 5, on sale on steam, loving it so far after 12hrs playing
One of my favourites (y) And one of the more modern games the 970 handled, fortunately. Ill be getting 6 when it comes out no doubt, not sure how I feel about the 'lego' weapon sort of thing they are going for, like new dawn weapons, although that was fun you had the base game to go back on

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bought the full version in the Ubisoft sale last week, which should have been £17 and then chucked some of those Ubi Points that I never use towards it. Cost me about £12 in the end - though I've not yet tried it! ☺

Both arrived today which was a surprise, thought gpu was thursday. Anyway, so far so good, not ground breaking but I had a budget and it should work well for some years.

I first tested rdr2 which is quite a challenge to run and it does okay, although you cant exactly tell half the time when a setting is high not ultra high or the likes so Im not fussed!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Both arrived today which was a surprise, thought gpu was thursday. Anyway, so far so good, not ground breaking but I had a budget and it should work well for some years.

I first tested rdr2 which is quite a challenge to run and it does okay, although you cant exactly tell half the time when a setting is high not ultra high or the likes so Im not fussed!
Might not be 'that' obvious in the difference if you're running at 1080 resolution.

What should be noticeable as a big improvement will be things like draw distance, extra particle effects, lighting and definitely shadows. @SharkyUK might have some suggestions of certain game options that will stress the card somewhat?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
You could try changing the resolution to a higher setting, I’ve noticed this gets recommended in Nvidia GeForce quite often to help improve detail in games.

It’s the reverse of what consoles do with upscaling to get 4K, even 1080p in some games!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Might not be 'that' obvious in the difference if you're running at 1080 resolution.

What should be noticeable as a big improvement will be things like draw distance, extra particle effects, lighting and definitely shadows. @SharkyUK might have some suggestions of certain game options that will stress the card somewhat?
Whacking up the resolution is definitely the best way to cripple the GPU. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Modern graphics cards are stupendously fast when it comes to pushing polygons. Even the most modest GPU can pump millions and millions of polygons per second at a high frame rate. In fact, polygon counts aren't really so much of an issue these days (certainly not like they were yesteryear). Per-pixel shader/render complexity is the main factor when it comes to performance, i.e. how complex are the calculations going on in the background (on the GPU) that allow that single pixel to be presented to the screen with that particular colour value. Obviously, the higher the resolution the higher the overall complexity and the higher the performance hit on the GPU.

On a related note, ray tracing... Ray tracing is actually easier to understand and implement than the often complex shaders and techniques used in today's largely rasterised games. However, trying to marry ray tracing and rasterising together (as with RTX, DXR, etc.) can be quite painful - which is why I find current GPU tech so exciting and how technology is evolving to work around the prohibitively expensive costs associated with ray tracing. Ray tracing is orders of magnitude more computationally expensive than our current hardware can handle in real time at interactive frame rates - hence the hybrid rendering methods and the reasons we are only seeing a small subset of what ray tracing (or path tracing) can offer (such as reflections or GI).

EDIT: Sorry, kinda off on a tangent there.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Does this game have the best water effects to date? Genuinely impressed by them when I started playing it last night.

1597305870474.png

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Does this game have the best water effects to date? Genuinely impressed by them when I started playing it last night.

View attachment 1489990
I found most of the graphical elements pretty amazing. Not played in a couple of weeks as i've been away but looking forward to jumping back on, think i'm about to overthrow the last region

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Why do people proper rave about Nvidia stuff?

Only issue I have with my AMD R9 390 TRIX is it saps power like a motherfucker😂

Had so many issues with AMD drivers over the years I just cba with the hassle tbh. Nvidea works well and always has for me so why change. Personally I nearly always get the top model from the previous generation second hand as GPUs are such a money pit, especially since the RTX cards launched, I just can’t justify 1K+ new on a GPU for what I see as minimal gains for me personally with my 1440p 165hz monitor which holds 165+FPS on all the games I play regularly.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Had so many issues with AMD drivers over the years I just cba with the hassle tbh. Nvidea works well and always has for me so why change. Personally I nearly always get the top model from the previous generation second hand as GPUs are such a money pit, especially since the RTX cards launched, I just can’t justify 1K+ new on a GPU for what I see as minimal gains for me personally with my 1440p 165hz monitor which holds 165+FPS on all the games I play regularly.

im going to start doing this. 2080ti is already 800 on eBay I imagine when a new one comes out it might even be less.... here’s hoping at least

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
im going to start doing this. 2080ti is already 800 on eBay I imagine when a new one comes out it might even be less.... here’s hoping at least

Yeh all depends on the 3000 series prices vs performance and obviously it’s always abit of a gamble second hand but luckily never had a problem as yet! At least with EVGA cards you get a transferable warranty so that usually makes my mind up on the brand 🙂

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeh all depends on the 3000 series prices vs performance and obviously it’s always abit of a gamble second hand but luckily never had a problem as yet! At least with EVGA cards you get a transferable warranty so that usually makes my mind up on the brand 🙂
Is it much of a gamble on eBay.. I’ve never had to use a card warranty though. Can’t imagine it’s common?!

I used to leave games on the pause screen all night on my current card which has been going strong since... whenever the 980ti came out (long time ago it feels like)