ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gran Turismo 5 Or Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit

LY R26 #288
I've not played any of them. But I've really gone off need for speed, Their past few games have been a bit boring. I like more realism!.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I got both. I loved Hot Pursuit 2 on PS2 as a 'pick up and have a bit of fun' game, HP3 doesn't quite cut it in the same way for me. Have to unlock every car, albeit it easily.
GT5, I haven't played enough to have a solid opinion on it, been a GT fanboy since the beginning, bought Forza 3 to fill the void, really liked that, but GT5 hasn't convinced me totally yet, but like I've said, I've not played it enough. I don't buy a lot of games so I know I'll play GT5 a lot now I have a bit more free time and will play HP3 a fait bit too.

If you want GT5 budget for a wheel too if you don't already have one. It's pap with a pad. As for NFS I've not played it but I doubt it's physics model will be anything other than tedious arcade.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Depends what you're after. Nfs is a solid arcade racer, good fun, not masses of longevity.

Gt5's not as instantly accessible, but once you get into it, it's great. Best driving game I've played, but does need a wheel.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
GT5 is expensive for what it actually is, when you factor in that it NEEDS a wheel.

But anyone that takes driving games seriously should already have one. ;).

You have to buy an xbox to play forza, that's even pricier!;);););)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'll never buy another NFS after the abortions that followed the Underground series.

I thought exactly that, until I started reading review of the new one. Seemed pretty good so bought it and it is brilliant. Nothing like the crap we have seen over the past few years!

As for the OP, I'd be getting GT5 all day long, NFS is good but I dont think its comparable to GT5

Listerine & Poledo
depends
if you like the idea of putting lots of stickers and bodykits on cars, NFS
otherwise, GT5

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Got NFS for the PC today and I really like it. Sure, it's not a simulation as such and the speed perspective at times makes it feel like the car is doing 380mph rather than the indicated 150 or so.

But it's a good novelty playing as the cops - building up the speed, then side-swiping the rear quarters on the target car. Some of the head-on smashes genuinely made me whince - coming around a sharp corner then head-first into an oncoming car - SMASH!

So far, so good. It's no ground breaker in terms of handling, physics or sensation, but it is a fun racing game.

D.

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
Arcade game vs a simulator,completely different games,Depends what you want from your gaming tbh.

in the end i bought need for speed as it was on offer in gamestation and so far its really good but i will get gt5 aswell but prob get that after xmas now though.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
in the end i bought need for speed as it was on offer in gamestation and so far its really good but i will get gt5 aswell but prob get that after xmas now though.

You probably did this the right way around. Have NFS for the next few weeks, then have time and commitment to do GT5 some justice in the New Year. From what Brown Bear says, GT5 takes some time to get into it first, anyway. :)

D.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
if you've played Burnout then you'll enjoy NFS:HP even though there isnt a carrer AFAIK just races and a choice of being either cops or racers. I played the demo and thought Nah another waste, personaly COD's going into that "same old regergatated Shite".

GT5 well its more of the same Gran Turismo. As for people moaning about the cars yes there 1000 cars and yes 800 are "copy n pasted" from pervious version's but the 200 cars that are new are amazing to look at and how many games do you know have more that 50 cars on it? Anyway besides the point think of the 800 as bonus cars you got as free DLC. The Driving superb if you have a Wheel and not so brilliant with a pad but obviously people play it quite fine with a pad so its down to how serious you are. Getting into its not that difficult but obviously earning the money for the LM cars is tedious but worth it.

Id personaly say GT5 (being bit of a closet fanboy) but if your just after plain fun Hot Pursuit.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just got to Lvl 5 Patrolman on NFS. Some proper rolfcopter moments on the pursuits - like getting to 206mph and the suspect car is still pulling away.... ;)

NFS112010-12-1313-05-26-43.jpg

The further you get, the more the racers have multi-weapon systems against you as well. Get the EMP warning coming through from a suspect car behind you, ease off and let him overtake, only for him to dump a spike strip straight in front of you! They have an uncanny ability to handbrake and do a 180 in the most shortest distance possible. By that, your car takes about 4 times longer to do the same move. ;)

edit - has anyone noticed the 'in association with DICE' comment on the intro? I suspect that they were involved with the scenery in the game. Those windfarms do look very BC2'ish :)

D.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
How is it Darren? Easy driver?

Very easy m8 - something that any kid with a controller could pick up and play. I actually use a 360 controller for this on the PC version as I think it would be pretty bad using a wheel with it.

Have you played any of the previous Burnout or Flatout series? The handling is very much like that - very arcadey but fun all the same. Easy to drift in it, which you get points for the longer you manage it. :)

D.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I liked those games, easy playing. I want PGR on the ps3!

I've not got the time for GT5 just now! :(