ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

graphics cards- F.E.A.R

mk5 VDUB polo
hey guys.

right, i've had f.e.a.r since it came out but i've never been able to run it, dont understand why but there you go, my computer should be able to run it i think.

the graphics are shoddy and the gameplay is s**t, it lag's and skips and god knows what. would that be because my graphic's card and video drivers are out of date?? also my hard drive is packed out with i dont knw what but i run my games off a removeable one.

how do i find out what graphics card i'm running etc.? i know its an nvidia g-force fx card but i dont know what one.

how much will a new card set me back to be able to play fear, the new fear and c&c 3 etc?

help muchos appreciated!!

drivers can make a fair bit of different, depending on how old they are...

to find out what it is, control pannel > system > hardware > device manager

then find it there :x

mk5 VDUB polo
well its a standard sony vaio vgc-v2s desktop and its running a g-force fx Go5700, rest of the driver information is confusing me lol

it runs half life 2 etc. perfectly

Sorry dude but F.E.A.R. is a GPU bound monster. One of very few games around at the moment that isn't CPU bound (IMO)

It's not going to run with that video card very well at all. The Go series are notebook cards anyway...?

mk5 VDUB polo
i honestly have no idea lol. i've just gone on the fact its run everything i've played brilliantly up till now. bf2, half life 2, c&c generals etc.

whats am i looking at to update myself then?

ollie_gozzett said:
i honestly have no idea lol. i've just gone on the fact its run everything i've played brilliantly up till now. bf2, half life 2, c&c generals etc.

depends.. if you want a card just to play fear then not to much... if u want one that will run it in full detail at a decent res... a bit more... if you want it to play the next gen games to... a bit more still :X

ollie_gozzett said:

Erm... since you don't reallt know what you already have, I'd suggest a complete rebuild. A grand should do it for F.E.A.R. and Crysis.

mk5 VDUB polo
Roy Munson said:
Erm... since you don't reallt know what you already have, I'd suggest a complete rebuild. A grand should do it for F.E.A.R. and Crysis.

i need a car first lol. looks like i'm stuck with what i've got. cheers guys

get some cs 1.6 down your gill's, plays fine on pretty much anything, hehehe, and ive been playin it for over 4 years and i still love it... until some n0b kills me :mad:

You could easily build a rig for around £500 that would play F.E.A.R. very well.

Or you could probably upgrade to maybe a 7800GS AGP card, as I presume your mobo is AGP.

probs best just waiting, and savin for a full system tho, cos sooner or later ur gonna have to upgrade your CPU and motherboard... may as well get everythin new + decent at the same time :rasp:

mk5 VDUB polo
yeh i think so too. i know b****cks all about the technical side of computers. this thing has served me well for 2 years, i'll just wait a get a whole new system when the time's right. 'os right now a clio is defineately my priority, aside from a licence lol

ollie_gozzett said:
yeh i think so too. i know b****cks all about the technical side of computers. this thing has served me well for 2 years, i'll just wait a get a whole new system when the time's right. 'os right now a clio is defineately my priority, aside from a licence lol

hehe, good luck :D:D:D:D:D

mk5 VDUB polo
test center in southend.........MASSIVE f**k off waiting list lol!! minimum was 2 months and i took a few weeks to book another one, then i had to cancel one last months 'cos my instructor was moving house.

ollie_gozzett said:
whats you guys opinions on the dell XPS system. is it good or a waste of time?

not really clued up on this sort of thing, like model names of systems etc etc...

but in my experience your far better off gettin everythin seperate, from somewhere like overclockers.co.uk - save so much more that way, and learn stuff :D

ollie_gozzett said:
test center in southend.........MASSIVE f**k off waiting list lol!! minimum was 2 months and i took a few weeks to book another one, then i had to cancel one last months 'cos my instructor was moving house.

wow :| what a pain in the arse that is hehe... never used to be like that up here in the north, lol :rasp::rasp:

Some of Dells XPS rigs are very good, but you can always build better for less IMO. All games rigs should be self-builds by law.

definately build your own system - never ever buy off the shelf systems and i mean EVER. You will get ripped off. You will save at least 30% just building it yourself and it is really a lot easier than people think - i tell you, if all the people out there who got swindled by dell actually knew how much cheaper and easier it was to buy and build your own - dell would be going out of business faster than you can say 'ah crap, not another call centre in India where a CPU is some sort of Chicken vindaloo'.