ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Greasy Windscreen

al

ST on the way...
My windscreen appears to be covered in some sort of greasy film, i've tried allsorts to shift it but nothing has worked, can anyone assist please :D

I've tried the following:

AG Fast Glass
AG Glass polish
Rainex Glass Prep
Claying
Fairy liquid :eek:
Vinegar! :S
Mr Muscle Glass cleaner:quiet:

as well as usual shampoo etc

I just want to be able to get it properly clean so I can slap some rainex on, but it won't work while it's covered in grease :dapprove:

Cheers :)

106 GTi
Meguiars APC or AG Engine and Machine Cleaner/Motorcyle cleaner would be my next attack.

106 GTi
Also have you tried the AG Polish by the PC on a polishing or light cut 4 inch pad yet Al?

use AG SRP, i use it every couple of weeks and my windscreen beads really well. also find my wiper blades have lasted ALOT longer than usual.

jamie

al

ST on the way...
Not tried SRP on the windows, might be worth a shot.

Meguiars APC or AG Engine and Machine Cleaner/Motorcyle cleaner would be my next attack.

I'll give that a go cheers rich :)

Also have you tried the AG Polish by the PC on a polishing or light cut 4 inch pad yet Al?

Tried it on my old car on the sfx2 pad and it seemed to do a pretty good job, didn't quite give the beading of the rainx, though.

106 GTi
Autoglym used to say do not use on the SRP front windscreen, not sure if the bottle still says that, I only have a 5 litre container of the trade version of it called radiant wax here.

Al - Autoglym Tar and Adhesive Remover is also worth a try.

PC will help the AG polish do its job, still needs following up with some water repellant.

al

ST on the way...
I'll give the "Engine & Machine Cleaner" and the "Tar Remover" a go tomorrow when I wash her see how I get on, cheers for the help :)

I'll get the PC wacked on the windscreen too, and follow up with some rainx, hopefully it won't be raining :S lol

I'll get some new wipers too, not sure when they we're changed by the previous owner.

I was just about to suggest at least cleaning them. It's all well and good cleaning the glass but people always forget to do the wipers!

BMW F31
My windscreen appears to be covered in some sort of greasy film, i've tried allsorts to shift it but nothing has worked, can anyone assist please :D

I've tried the following:

AG Fast Glass
AG Glass polish
Rainex Glass Prep
Claying
Fairy liquid :eek:
Vinegar! :S
Mr Muscle Glass cleaner:quiet:

as well as usual shampoo etc

I just want to be able to get it properly clean so I can slap some rainex on, but it won't work while it's covered in grease :dapprove:

Cheers :)

can you clay windows then? i wouldnt mind doing that to my windscreen as its kinda greasy too.

BMW F31
sweet might as well do all the windows next time i wash it then especially my drivers window because it has a long grease or something mark running from top to bottom plus even once cleaned it can pull the exterior window seal up off the door occasionally. :(

106 GTi
Claying won't remove streaks or grease from glass, it removes embeded contaiments that washing alone won't. It is designed to remove stuck on crap basically, id worth claying the glass still, but you will need to polish it after still too.

al

ST on the way...
Tar remover sorted it :D

And polished it with Rainx glass polish then applied rainx repellant, seems to have done the trick :)

I've given the current blades a real good clean (in the sink with vinegar and fairly lol) but i've ordered some of those flat blades anyway :)

al

ST on the way...
The rainx glass polish was really strange, you have to wash it off :S rather than just rub it off, applied it with the PC :)

Yeah, I thought new blades would be best too lol, should be here in a day or so hopefully :)

1.6 16v

And polished it with Rainx glass polish then applied rainx repellant, seems to have done the trick :)

I've given the current blades a real good clean (in the sink with vinegar and fairly lol) but i've ordered some of those flat blades anyway :)

Where did you order your flat blades from Al?

al

ST on the way...

Where did you order your flat blades from Al?

I ordered them from here mate :)

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/

I think they have come in todays post, i'll let you know what they're like :D

clio 182 ff & 197
I have found that Rain X is good when it first goes on but after a while it is that what makes the windscreen greasy

al

ST on the way...
I've never had rainx on my new car, I think the previous owner must have cleaned the windows with lard :S lol

Always used to be fine on my old car, just need to keep on top of the wipers.

Saxo VTS
I can't help but the AG Glass Polish looks and smells good enough to eat!

And the Megs Carb Wax smells ace too!

Mmmmmm chemicals.

106 GTi
You think there nice smell Swisswax Best of Show, my garage smells like a tropical fruit farm now.

al

ST on the way...
Got the flatblades fitted and they are amazing!!! Miles better than the normal wipers :D

1.6 16v
I have a really greasy windscreen and i have tryed AG E&M cleaner and AG ITR and its helped a bit but not sorted the problem!

What now?

Steve