ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Great MPG..... NOT

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
My 05 182 with 54000 on the clock has gone from between 38 and 40 mpg at 70 down to a dismal 32 if I'm lucky..... that's also on the Shell V-Power any ideas, sugguestions?

Renault Clio 172 16v
I average about 32 - 33 mpg in my 172 (I thought that was good for a 2.0i), but I do take it easy allot more now with the fuel prices increasing all the time.

Forgot to mention, I run on v-power too.

Daz :)

2010 focus Rs
only thing i can think of is your lambda sensor on the exhaust, you can tell this by letting it idle and if the revs are constantly going up and down and not staying steady that normally the problem, also you will smell a bit of petrol from the outside of the car where it tell the ecu to run too rich, but not common to go on a new car, could only think of using redex injector cleaner through the system other than the lambda sensor!!

Meggy
20's from a 1.2 :eek:

must be redlining it and driving around with 4k + revs everywere

i drive hard and from a 1.6 i get 35+

Elise S1 B&C 140
i average about 32 in my 172 when i drive normally (although this week it has risen to avg 35 ish)

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
Is your Exhaust emmision light coming on? as one of your sensors has gone. IMO

Serv light has come on a couple of times when its being standing idling but put that down to the strong winds blowing back down the exhaust as once put foot on accelerator for some "thrust" it went out. Idles steady around the 1000 mark. I'll just get the garage to check it out next time it goes in for it's service which will be soon at the rate I rack up the miles, just done another 2000 since original post. See what story renault come up with. For a car with a supposidly 11 gallon tank does any one else's (172 or 182s on this bit) run dry at 10.3 or is it just my fuel computer out of cal. As my 1.4 seemed more accurate and went dry at 11.0 gallon mark.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
This may be a dumb question but are you resetting the
trip computer every time you set of?
Mine showed the same read out for weeks untill I realised
it needed resetting every journey.

My 172 gets 35 round town and 40ish at 80mph on the motorway.
Its 5yrs old with 54k on clock.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
This may be a dumb question but are you resetting the
trip computer every time you set of?
Mine showed the same read out for weeks untill I realised
it needed resetting every journey.

My 172 gets 35 round town and 40ish at 80mph on the motorway.
Its 5yrs old with 54k on clock.

Yeah reset the trip and the fuel used computer each time I fill up as travel most weekends from pompey to newcastle which is between 348 and 370 miles depending which route I take the best I managed was getting there on 9.5 gallons which is about right or so I thought (used to get there on 9 gallons in my 1.4) and most other times I've had to refuel round Scotch Corner after learning the hard way when it ran dry by the Angel of the North showing 10.3 gallons and only 10 miles from home, luckily always have a spare gallon in the boot when doing any long journeys.

I get about 27-28 at the mo, yes it gets some beans now and then but is mainly due to sitting in traffic and having the air-con on.

On a good run i'll see 35+

Sib

Clio 172 (Silver)
I've a 172 with 94K on the clock - at 80mph I get around 33-34 mpg, can get this over 36 if I drive around 60-70 but my normaly consumption is 33 on the average urban trip.

It does get a wee cain every now and then and runs ok otherwise for its age and milage.

ST
I get between 28-32mpg on a decentish motorway run 150-250 miles at 70-95mph.

Tho if i stay around 65-70mph and get nowhere fast i'll get up to 36mpg...tbh i'd rather get around a bit quicker..

I get 36-39 MPG on country lanes/dual carridgeway and I drive quickly. I do 550 miles a week and rarely get passed on dual carrideway/motorway - maybe once a week ;-)

My tank has run dry at 9.9 gallons and I daren't take it past 10. Seems to get less accurate the more times I turn the engine on and off. Also When I did number of miles driven divided by number of litres it said on the petrol pump at fill up it seemed like the trip computer over estimates the MPG by about 10%. So even though my trip says 36-39 it is really 33-36. I don't know if they are all this inaccurate?

Recaro'd 182
i have a clio 182 and i get 31.8 mpg roughly and the most i have ever had on a long drive is 35.8mpg that avergaing from start to end of journey on motorways on cruise control too.

i think for a 2L it extremly good. I would hate to reset the mpg and then drive round a track to see what you get lol.

Blue Clio 182
I had a 1.2 16v Clio which was doing 35 - 40 to the gallon and i traded it in for a 54 plate 182. When i got the car 2 months ago the computer said it was doing 36.3 mpg when the previous owner had it but now it is showing 25.4 mpg in my hands.
Either he had a very light foot or i'm driving the car how it is meant to be driven.:evil:
I run it on Tesco 99 fuel and it seems ok to me.
Just remember to turn the air con off or it uses fuel even quicker!!

Last edited:
  Cupped 182
I only average 32 at best this time of year on V-Power, but do you reckon a treatment of Redex would help?

V-power has detergents in it redex is a waste of money along with other injector cleaning products

Slightly off the original subject, but I normally use Super-unleaded in my 172, & I usually fill up at Tesco's, but somebody told me recently that all the supermarket's high-octane unleaded doesn't have the additives in it- anyone know if this is true?

ST
I had a 1.2 16v Clio which was doing 35 - 40 to the gallon and i traded it in for a 54 plate 182. When i got the car 2 months ago the computer said it was doing 36.3 mpg when the previous owner had it but now it is showing 25.4 mpg in my hands.
Either he had a very light foot or i'm driving the car how it is meant to be driven.:evil:
I run it on Tesco 99 fuel and it seems ok to me.
Just remember to turn the air con off or it uses fuel even quicker!!

Yeah till the chocolate gearbox gives in, the driveshafts made of tin foil go tits up and the engine mounts disintegrate..

Last edited:
  Monaco Blue 172
im getting an average of 31-32mpg in a 1.4 dynamique... i mean sometimes i floor it, but usualy im changing gear and driving under 3000 revs

RB 200 Cup!
31mpg on mine - altho i was expecting the drop as my ph1 is 8 years old compared to my previous 172 which was only 3

older cars are shite econimically