ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Greenlight - my experience :(

GSXR 600
What a joke..

My cars been off the road for a while, cos I've been rebuilding it...

So cars nearly finished and ready for the MOT, so get it insured thorugh Greenlight... so I can drive it to the MOT station... paid in full for the years insureance on credit card.

Car passes the MOT no problem, and I go to tax it... but I find out its got to be SVA tested cos they class it as a rebuild...

So I get a SVA test booked (have to wait 3 weeks) and it fail on the emissons, plus a few other little bits...

The insureance company send me a letter asking for a copy of the SVA to be sent to them... I explain that it failed on the emissions and will need a retest.. on this note they tell me that they wont insure the car cos its not passed the SVA? I explained that I dont use the car, and it wont be used til its passed and taxed...

so they have cancelled my policy and I've lost 6 months money....

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
thats crap! im with greenlight! cant they surely refund ur 6 months?

how come u told em it was a rebuild? surely that doesnt matter? you've just thrown a turbo on ur normal engine aint ya! :)

GSXR 600
no its a different shell... and I tried to do everything above board...

the cars only been insured from 25th August...

GSXR 600
they havent been very helpful or flexible.... surely they could have just frozen the policy til after it had passed??

If you paid in full and cancel they should refund you.

I have recently changed from Direct Line to Greenlight:eek: and even though I paid monthly they stopped my policy with five months to go with no charge.

Read the terms of your policy that does not seem right at all.

MKIII 138
would be interesting if the greenlight guy could comment on this as he was trying to be so helpful and down with it the other day

Monaco 172 2/468
Yeah thats garbage mate, you should get a refund for remaining months + probably a small charge for cancelling. If you were paying by DD and cancelled they wouldn't bill you for the rest !! :mad:

R35 GTR
I was with directline for 14 days before changing to greenlight and they refunded every penny, so i got 14 days for free

Ad

MK2 FRS
Ive heard bad things about them in the past. Werent good for me price wise anyway.

Seems very harsh to be honest.

Racing Blue 182
They can only charge you a cancelation fee if you requested cancelation. If they invoke cancelation, they needs to issue you a pro rata refund

Ford Mustang 5.0
tony 16V said:
What a joke..

My cars been off the road for a while, cos I've been rebuilding it...

So cars nearly finished and ready for the MOT, so get it insured thorugh Greenlight... so I can drive it to the MOT station... paid in full for the years insureance on credit card.

Car passes the MOT no problem, and I go to tax it... but I find out its got to be SVA tested cos they class it as a rebuild...

So I get a SVA test booked (have to wait 3 weeks) and it fail on the emissons, plus a few other little bits...

The insureance company send me a letter asking for a copy of the SVA to be sent to them... I explain that it failed on the emissions and will need a retest.. on this note they tell me that they wont insure the car cos its not passed the SVA? I explained that I dont use the car, and it wont be used til its passed and taxed...

so they have cancelled my policy and I've lost 6 months money....

PM sent i'm looking into the case

Ford Mustang 5.0
racing182 said:
If they invoke cancelation, they needs to issue you a pro rata refund

Correct

A pro Rata refund has been issued by the insurer. We as a broker are paid 12% commission by the insurer for the work we do.

We retain this commission on cancellations (obviously we don't work for free :D)

The insurer are issuing a refund as we speak so once it hits our account a cheque will be sent to the client immediatley. (policy was only cancelled yesterday)

Best Regards
Neil

Ford Mustang 5.0
tony 16V said:
they havent been very helpful or flexible.... surely they could have just frozen the policy til after it had passed??

The policies we sell are for road use and cannot be suspended. Basically had we of continued cover for you despite the car failing the SVA we would be insuring you to use an unroadworthy car on the road so therefore the policy has to be cancelled.

Obviously Insurance Companies would not continue to cover a car that was not roadworthy. It would be like us insuring a car that has failed an MOT to be used on the road?

We would only cancel a policy if we had no other choice. Being a broker we don't want to lose customers unless if it can be avoided.

If the car hadn't failed the SVA the policy could obviously continue as normal.

Any further questions please do not hesitate to conact me.

Regards
Neil

Ford Mustang 5.0
tony 16V said:
I paid 557.75 for the year and am losing 249.73 for 2 months insurance. (which is 44%)

Seeing as you wish to discuss this in an open forum the figures above are not correct.

Please see below workings:

Inception Premium
Insurer Premium £530
Legal Cover £27.75 (non refundable but still current until 25/08/06)
Total £557,75

Cancellation workings
Our Commission is 12% of £530 (£63.60)
68 days cover at £1.45 per day (£98.60)
Legal Cover (£27.75)

Total Amount due for Time on cover £189.95

Refund due to customer £367.80

We state in our terms and conditions sent to you when first accepting our quote that we retain a cancellation fee in addition to our commission. In this case we have not charged the cancellation fee.

Best Regards
Neil
Greenlight Insurance

LY 182
Never seen this before, support on a community forum. Well impressed, glad it was all sorted out!

Ford Mustang 5.0
TimMB said:
Never seen this before, support on a community forum. Well impressed, glad it was all sorted out!

Well you know we do try :D

On a serious note if anyone on this forum does have any questions or queries that i may be able to help with please do not hesitate to contact me and i'll reply asap.

regards
Neil
Greenlight Insurance

williams 2 turbo
i used to give a lot of people greenlights number, until my run i with them. car was insured with everything declaired, and for those who know my car, it was a fairly big list. then when i came to a renewal. they turned around and said, that the underwriters (highway) would no longer cover it, because of a paintjob. not turbo or anything else, just a paintjob. so i went through hic insurance and funnily enough, guess who is the underwiters, yup, you got it highway. they covered it no problem. its nuts. oh and getting proof of no claims, that took 8 and a half months, and cost me a further 280.0 on my insurance cos i couldnt prove my no claims within the specified time. in my experience, they are muppets..

Good work Neil, this is the sort of support we like to see.

I believe you are entitled to a full refund if cancelled within 14 days, well this is the case with Adrian Flux and performance direct

E91 M Sport
diamond geezer said:
i used to give a lot of people greenlights number, until my run i with them. car was insured with everything declaired, and for those who know my car, it was a fairly big list. then when i came to a renewal. they turned around and said, that the underwriters (highway) would no longer cover it, because of a paintjob.

They don't have to insure you. A lot of insurers put up their premiums or change the types of drivers they insure. TBH, the only annoying thing is the NCB proof, which I can image would be v.frustrating!

MKIII 138
getting mixed results about greenlight, doesnt matter anyway none of the 172cup drivers on here can get insured with them anyways.

williams 2 turbo
i also forgot to mention, that they cancelled my policy on three occasions, due to clerical errors, and as quoted above, they didnt have to offer me a poilcy, but they said they would'nt due to the underwriters not covering the paintjob. funny how another insurer would with the same underwriters. would not use them again, and would in my own experience advise no one else to use them, but im sure others have used them with no problems at all. i was just stating what happened in my own case.

Its a shame that only bad dealings with insurance companies are discussed. I'm sure there are a lot of happy customers out there too, but these positive stories are never shared.

vx220
the other thing worth mentioning to drivers under 25 with greenlight is that they cant offer to protect your no claims bonus. Even though your willing to pay the extra cost to cover it! It seemed bizarre to me that it wasnt even an option untill you was over 25 as every other company are willing to protect them although at a cost.
In fairness to neil i emailed him over the matter and he got back to me straight away to clarify that this was the case and the underwriters didnt offer protected no claims to people under 25! This is a shame as i would of used green light as thier excess charge was less than adrain flux (who i eventually went with) but thier premium was slightly higher.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
I have had no problems with Greenlight as a broker in the past and found them useful, its the insurance company you end up with themselves which let decent brokers who CARE about customers down.

GSXR 600
Maybe someone could start a thread saying which insurance companies/brokes are any good...

Would help me as I'm now looking for another company.

ant

yep.
elephant for me. £685 with only 2 years NCB.

greenlight said they couldnt insure me due to my postcode M16.

so why can elephant?

MKIII 138
racing182 said:
Still no refund?

I cant get insured with green light as too young which is a shame

dont worry mate i cant get insured with them at 27 either because i drive a cup :( means all the mods i do will cost me wonga to insure with norwich union.

wish there was a place that insured cups but didnt mind mods as much