ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GroupN ECUs

Does anyone have a good knowledge of the spec of these ECUs, what they alter, and where they are sourced from, just that...

.... I recall Simon172 fitting one on his Mk1 172 and taking it off because it ran like a dog afterwards

... I believe they are sourced from RenaultSport in Dieppe??

... R-Sport, when quizzed, revealed that their "R-Sport Cup ECU" is actually a Group N ECU, which only works on Cups, and only those without a/c

... HillPower offer the Group N ECU for the 172 and you need to quote your engine type to order it, suggesting its available for Mk1/2s, 172s & Cups

All very confusing....all I want is a little bit more power until I either flog the 172 for a V6, or fit Roamer-style throttle bodies!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

The group n ecu that simon had is diffrent

the one simon172had was diffrent anyway, and there are 3 listed (i think) in the renault sport (not r sport) catalog

the rsport ecu works with all 172s does it not?

The RSport chip is just a GrpN ECU with no other alterations? Thats cant be right can it?

If it is true, Id be tempted to go to Nick Hill to get one fitted given the wonders it has worked on the 172 Cups.

Thanks Tom

So how are Simon172s and the R-Sport ECU different to the Group N one?

And any ideas on the 3 listed, in terms of spec?

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 14 October 2003

Holy crap, I wish that we could get a straight, final answer on this one! Im going to have a search for the RSport number and ask them myself.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

the mk 1 grp ecu was a mit on the mental side if i remember correctly sommat like 18mpg

this might differ because of the throttle configuration on the mk1 172

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 14 October 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 14 October 2003

Holy crap, I wish that we could get a straight, final answer on this one! Im going to have a search for the RSport number and ask them myself.

Well i dont see why not after all it is the same engine.

you wouldnt bother using different ecus for the cup/172 it doesnt make financial sense for renault to use to parts for the same engine.

Best think to do would to find out the part numbers for the 172 ecu and the cup ecu (std ones) if they are the same it should work

MK1s have a cable controlled throttle, and MK2s are fly by wire throttle, so I suppose there is a fairly major difference. I assume the ECU controls this??

Just tried calling the number I found for RSport, but it just keeps ringing, no answer....02085407366

Anyone got a number where I can get through to RSport?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

you said that not me.

i dont have a 172 or a cup handy, if you phone your renault dealer up with oval plate numbers you can find out the part number for the ecu on the cup and the 172 if they are the same you have your answer.

NO IT DOES NOT !!!!!!!!

Call them yourself:- 02085420042

or call Motorsport who developed it:- 02085407366

It is a group N ECU that will give about 5% torque and BHP gain that will only work on the CUP.

Just go to http://www.hillpower.co.ukwww.hillpower.co.uk or e-mail mailto:hillpower@btopenworld.com">hillpower@btopenworld.com them and get the answers you want.

Group N or R-sport is the same thing, it is supplied by Renault so it does not effect your warranty in the UK. Before you can order hillpower needs your engine number and ecu number to make sure they supply you with the correct unit for you 172 or cup!

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 14 October 2003

"the rsport ecu works with all 172s does it not?"
Nope! Only Cups and only if they -dont- have air-con!!

I phoned John @ R-Sport, asking for an R-Sport ECU for a Cup with a/c (thinking if they say it fits and a/c Cup, then there might be a hope for a std 172. Previously, people have said that the R-Sport ECU wont work on a 172 becuase of all the extra control functions - ABS, a/c etc.) and he said they had not tried it on a Cup with a/c but thought it might not work! He also mentioned that they tried the ECU on a Mk2 172 and, whilst the car worked, there were no noticeable improvements as there are on the Cup.

They also told me that *apparantly* the engines in the Cup are different to those in Mk2 172s which is why, in their words, the ECU and inlet manifold mods are -not- suitable for a Mk2 172. Not sure I believe this though....

Im going to email Nick @ Hillpower with my engine nos tonight and see if he can source me a Group N ECU....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

sounds like aload of tosh.

best to check with renault on the ecu part numbers.

Megane R26

i Spoke to a very helpful guy at Radbourne Racing in Wimbledon, they race Clios, and he told me the only difference engine wise between a cup and a std 172 was the exhaust. He also said that the r-sport ecu will fit the mk2 172 if the engine number starts with 763 as he has fitted one to a clients car. The ecu was £196 before vat. I havent got the number of Radbourne with me at the moment, but will post it when I get home.

Rick

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by JJ172 on 14 October 2003

Interesting! The 172 and Cup are both listed as having a "F4R 732" engine, yet R-Sport seem to think the Cup has a "F4R 734" variant!

Horses mouth. cannot argue with that.

First R-Sport say the two cars have different engine variants, next they tell someone else the only difference is the exhaust. Next theyll be telling us the different is the little door badges!!

Do these guys really have a clue?!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Sounds like they dont.

if anyone knows the part numbers for the (standard) 172 ecu and the Cup ecu please post them.