ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Growing Out Of The Clio?

S4 Avant
Feel as though I am. Been 3 years that I've had it now, turning 22 next week. Virtually all of my friends have just bought new cars in the last month. I'm getting bored(ish).

My boss was speaking to me earlier and said "it's a chavs car. A stupidly low, loud chavvy clio", and tbh I can see where he's coming from. The car doesn't really "suit" me anymore if any one can relate to that?

Trouble is, it's Cat C, and riddled with reasons why no one would buy it. Alarm doesn't work for example, rippled roof skin etc... I've piled all of my money into it and still got 2 years left to pay off my loan, which granted, I could break the car and pay off easily. But it's worth nothing really. I've always said I'll keep it forever, but at the moment it's looking doubtful :(

Add into the equation that ever since I was in the accident, parents aren't happy with me driving around in a small car. Which is very understandable, and bloody Addz has got me hooked on mini cooper s's.

So I put it to the internet, what would you do in my situation?

Ph 1 172
Jeep the Clio the mini is in the same car ange (small nippy) if your going to get rid I'd only go bigger so seat cupra, BMW 3 seris, merc, impreza, focus anything along those lines is what I'll be buying when I get bored of the clio.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Don't get into more debt for a start!

If it was me i'd....

Either break the car and clear the loan meaning you can start a clean slate with the new one,

Or, Keep the car until the loan is clear, new loan and buy something dull and sensible and keep the clio as a weekend car.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Why dont you just de-chav it then and spend a little but cash doing the things that need doing? i`m 23 and only just got a clio 172 and love it! best car i`ve had. I agree with domjolly tha if your going to get rid, buy bigger and german are jap.

182 Trophy
How is it chavy, that word gets thrown around too often now.... its a 182bhp clio with motorsport wheels and an awsome stance

tell the guy who said it to feck off, cooper s's are nice cars but theyre like dog s**t..... after seing 50 old women driving the same car as you you'll wish you had you're chavy clio back mate

S4 Avant
Don't get into more debt for a start!

If it was me i'd....

Either break the car and clear the loan meaning you can start a clean slate with the new one,

Or, Keep the car until the loan is clear, new loan and buy something dull and sensible and keep the clio as a weekend car.

Oh no worries there, I'm not about to buy a Fiat 500 to save money.

Whatever I do, I'll be removing debt first. I'll probably end up waiting till my claim is settled and see what I can do.

Don't think I could break the Clio, been through so much with it. Means more than money to me really, but other things just make me a lot more excited at the moment.

S4 Avant
How is it chavy, that word gets thrown around too often now.... its a 182bhp clio with motorsport wheels and an awsome stance

tell the guy who said it to feck off, cooper s's are nice cars but theyre like dog s**t..... after seing 50 old women driving the same car as you you'll wish you had you're chavy clio back mate

LOL, I'd lose my job mate ;)

Well having been good friends with Addz for a while, I've been around both of his Minis, and they were/are truely awesome. I love supercharger whine, to the point where I'd pay good money for just the noise alone.

Megane 225
Whatever you decide to do do it because you want to not because of what other people say. I felt like I'd outgrown my Clio and went and got a megane 225. As a whole I do prefer the meg but I really miss driving my little Clio.

Looking for 182
Stop caring what other people think.

I'm 25, and my Clio came with blacked out windows. I did care a little bit that it looks a bit chavvy, but then I just drive it an enjoy it for what it is, and forget caring the image I might be giving off.

Yes, it's just a Clio, but it's ridiculously fun and I bloody love it (although I've only owned it for 6 months so that might be why)

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
you didnt take out a loan to buy a cat c car surely?

pretty difficult position.

If it was me id stop plowing money in the car, and sell it for somthing that "shuts like a golf"

I only sold mine cos it was nigh 10 years old and was about to fall to pieces. Funds allowed me a 250 cup on finance.

S4 Avant
Stop caring what other people think.

I'm 25, and my Clio came with blacked out windows. I did care a little bit that it looks a bit chavvy, but then I just drive it an enjoy it for what it is, and forget caring the image I might be giving off.

Yes, it's just a Clio, but it's ridiculously fun and I bloody love it (although I've only owned it for 6 months so that might be why)

Honey moon period still. 3 years on, I'm used to the power and it's all a bit predictable tbh. I know exactly how it's going to behave around every corner, and every straight.

New coilovers will be going on next month anyway, so we'll see how they change the car. Hopefully make it a bit more drivable.

S4 Avant
you didnt take out a loan to buy a cat c car surely?

pretty difficult position.

If it was me id stop plowing money in the car, and sell it for somthing that "shuts like a golf"

I only sold mine cos it was nigh 10 years old and was about to fall to pieces. Funds allowed me a 250 cup on finance.

Oh the beauty of hindsight :dapprove:

Bought the car outright, got a loan for the repairs. Bear in mind that 182s were £10k when I was looking at them.

Money will cease going into the car once I've sorted all 4 leaking coilovers.

clio 182
clios arnt chavy tell ya what is a 1.2 corsa with stainless exhaust n blacked out windows with a 17 year old behind the wheel who has his seat reclined to the point where ya lying down lol

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member

Bought the car outright, got a loan for the repairs. Bear in mind that 182s were £10k when I was looking at them.

ahh i see. what about revert into standard suspension and sell the refurbed coils? or just put the lot up and see what interest it drives and make ure decision at that point?

ITB'd MK1
I think the phrase you used "I never couldn't hear it" when i took it 2 miles away on test drive tells you you dont like the exhaust. Get some "not Gaz" suspension, and makie it just nice again

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
As said its a 4 star n-cap car, so safer than a lot of bigger cars of a similar age really. The saxo/106 whatever it was is only 1 or 2 n-cap. Although n-cap means f**k all really, only applies if you have that sort of crash.

I think clio's are chavvy too, my boss tells me the same but then i just take the piss out of his spazbus :rasp: If i was you I'd keep the clio, you'll be getting in a whole lot more debt to get something better thats as new as it.

I thought this once upon a time when i had my 106gti, so I got rid. Regretted it with every subsequent car, trying to recapture the fun I had with the pug until I got the clio, really.

Tbh, at 22 theres plenty of time to get new cars and it probably wouldnt hurt to see if the grass really is greener. Took me 5 cars to realise it wasnt.

2004 182FF
clios arnt chavy tell ya what is a 1.2 corsa with stainless exhaust n blacked out windows with a 17 year old behind the wheel who has his seat reclined to the point where ya lying down lol

Yeah but to people who don't know much about cars they all look the same! Clio 182 = 'sport' sticker and some stick on exhaust tips from halfords!

Doesn't bother me though.

S4 Avant
I think the phrase you used "I never couldn't hear it" when i took it 2 miles away on test drive tells you you dont like the exhaust. Get some "not Gaz" suspension, and makie it just nice again

LOL stop hating ;) I secretly loved that part :approve:

I will be getting some non-Gaz coilovers won't I?

White clique
Persoanlly i'd just PX it for peanuts to get it off my hands once and for all, i've PX'd most cars, or try and advertise it as a track car.

Its time to get rid....

TrackCar & F30 330d
Deffently get rid of the loan first. Then save more money for a bit. then sell the clio and get somthing bigger/better/different. Or just make a few changes to the car so it has somthing different to excite you. Get the JMS remap, pops and bangs, that will make driving a little more excited + a little chavy

F56 MINI Cooper S

pmsl, ye see this often, how they manage to drive in that lying down position is beyond me lol

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR

£10k?! Where were you looking?! I got mine before you I think and paid £6k for a minter!

If it was me personally I'd sell up / strip it and get something else, but thats just me.
Depends if you find it unbearable to drive etc or just fancy a change.

S4 Avant
£10k?! Where were you looking?! I got mine before you I think and paid £6k for a minter!

If it was me personally I'd sell up / strip it and get something else, but thats just me.
Depends if you find it unbearable to drive etc or just fancy a change.

I had mine a good year before you, but just couldn't drive it ;)

New coilovers should change its drivability, at the moment leaky shocks are ruining it. I used to go for random drives out to the peak district all the time, now I can't remember the last time I took the car out to "just drive".

Hehehe. A guy 10 years my junior is saying he has outgrown his RS Clio... Makes me love mine all the more. But then I am sufficiently old not to give a flying f**k what others think of me.

TBH I think they ARE a bit chavvy. I can also see why someone would feel they had outgrown theirs. Me, I absolutely adore mine. It makes me smile every time I look at it nevermind drive it. My more sensible friends tut and shake their heads then carry on discussing mortgages, pensions, stocks and ISA's... right up until I drown em out with my lairy little Clio. Jeremy Clarkson got it absolutely bang on in his review of the 182 - The niggles, poor build quality, lairyness, unreliability... none of it matters simply cos of the way it makes you feel when you drive it.

Of course if that magic is gone then it probably is time to move on.

Giulietta 940
Me, I absolutely adore mine. It makes me smile every time I look at it nevermind drive it. My more sensible friends tut and shake their heads then carry on discussing mortgages, pensions, stocks and ISA's... right up until I drown em out with my lairy little Clio. Jeremy Clarkson got it absolutely bang on in his review of the 182 - The niggles, poor build quality, lairyness, unreliability... none of it matters simply cos of the way it makes you feel when you drive it.

This. RS Clio's are meant to be fun.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't think the 172/82 is a Chavs car. Your boss sounds like a c**kend TBH.

And IIRC the clio 182 has a group 4 NCAP rating.
He doesn't sound like a c**kend mate he sounds like a mature professional. He doesn't care for the excuses about it not being chavy (boy racer), the car gives that impression to people (old or not)

You turn up to a high end business meeting in a clio 1*2 and you don't make yourself look professional.

If Dave is just a normal worker then fine but his boss is different and from his eyes it looks chavy.

The only thing that im growing out of with mine is the loud exhaust lol...

Ive been driving my dads car recently and its just a nice change to have a nice quiet ride lol, but I do still love my Flamer! Such fun cars to drive!

I do see some RS Clio's and think they look chavvy. It just makes sure i'll never do that to my car.

My boss is allowed opinions, but stuff the fact if it makes you look professional or not. It's my car, I have to drive it daily, so i'll pick what i like. So called professionals can keep their opinion to themselves. Most people here drive big Merc's, Audi's & BMW's. Which makes them look like the c***s they are but i don't go around telling them ;)

If you're bored of it, cut your losses and get rid. If it's just worrying what someone thinks or how it makes you look, then 'dechav' it or ignore them :)

182 Trophy
Move on if you are bored of it.

Oh, and Clio's are chavvy.

All clio's are chavvy? what a stupid comment
saying that because you now dont own one
saab's are for people who think they're being cool buying something different when in reality theyre shite

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
He doesn't sound like a c**kend mate he sounds like a mature professional. He doesn't care for the excuses about it not being chavy (boy racer), the car gives that impression to people (old or not)

You turn up to a high end business meeting in a clio 1*2 and you don't make yourself look professional.

If Dave is just a normal worker then fine but his boss is different and from his eyes it looks chavy.

This +1 million. 9/10 people think Clio's are either sh1t, chavvy, girly, or sh1t chavvy & girly.

It was getting to the stage were my boss was threatening me with a Saab pool car (instead of car allowance!) if i didnt get something more professional looking for meetings :quiet:

TT is gay. But its an Audi. As such, its fine :rolleyes:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
People are forgetting people on this forum own Clio sports of course they won't think it's chavy!

To anyone who doesn't know like my missus, it's a boy racers car. Plain and simple.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I have an RS Twingo for a daily, although I'm still using the Clio too, at present. (Can't ween myself off it)

I delivered some print to a chap I've never met before the other week, and we got talking about the Clio etc. He loved it.

I've also had a chap in a GT3 comment on the car at a Shell forecourt... ok, it was mainly about the colour and the lowness; but still.

I love it, it's different and loads of fun to drive.

Then again, designers don't really need to look smart. My work dress code is a hoodie and jeans, most days.