ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GT Creations (PAW) Black Golf MK2 Gti 8v Oem+ project

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
I've just got a Vw golf gti 8v (pb) mk2 1991 in black (Big bumper). It's going to be my new daily but i will also be modifying it along the way. This aswell as my saxo will sort of be demo cars for GT Creations. The golf will be oem+ themed and the saxo will be a full on track car but still remain road legal. Here's the link too the saxo....
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...axo-Vtr-(Going-Into-Hibernation!!!)&highlight=

Here’s the only pics i have at the mo. The cars been sat alittle while so it’s filthy and it was raining. The bumpers not fitted properly and the bonnets not shut...
DSC01140.jpg

DSC01143.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

I bought the car from a mate and its currently at his house. The car came with a blown head and we decided to swap the engine for another. He had a spare 8v lump from an everyman racing golf which they were breaking for spares. We don’t know if the engine runs but it looks clean. We have started stripping it down for inspection but were just going to fit it and see it runs. If it runs and sounds mechanically sound then the engine will be removed again and will have the headgasket replaced, head bolts, gaskets, cam belt, waterpump, etc replaced. The engine's also going to be cleaned and painted aswell as the engine bay.

Heres some pics of the engine after having alittle degreasing...
DSC01157.jpg

We stripped bits off with the intention of taking the head off but were just going to fit it first to see if its a good runner. It looks to be in good condition with no sign that the headgaskets gone and looks like its been well looked after so fingers crossed the blocks ok..
DSC01163.jpg

DSC01162.jpg

Heres some of the parts ive got for the engine/gearbox overhaul...
DSC01146.jpg

DSC01147.jpg

DSC01149.jpg

DSC01150.jpg

DSC01153.jpg

DSC01151.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

At the minute i have...
Headgasket set,
Headbolts,
Cambelt set,
Waterpump,
Engine oil 10/40,
Oil filter,
Fuel filter,
Oil cap,
Sump bung & Copper washer,
Spark leads,
Spark plugs,
Clutch kit with release bearing,
Engine enamel paint red and gloss black,
Hammerite smooth black.

Iv'e still got too get...
Dizzy cap,
Gearbox gasket,
Driveshaft seals,
Gearbox oil,
Manifold copper nuts,
Sump gasket.

No doubt there will be more bits i need once its fitted but there the main things. Hopefully some time this week will have a chance to remove the old engine a fit the everyman one to see it runs ok. Then the engine will be stripped down and have the above done. I will keep this updated with the progress.

Rb 182
Nice i've just picked my a mk2 driver. Not sure what way im going to go with it yet. Ill be keeping a eye. You on a mk2 forum? If so what one?

Turbos.
Whats will all the GT Creations balls....why not just say "Im doing up my Golf...".

Anyway, love Mk2s, will be interesting to see how it turns out.

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
Nice i've just picked my a mk2 driver. Not sure what way im going to go with it yet. Ill be keeping a eye. You on a mk2 forum? If so what one?
Nice Dave, youll have to send me some pics of it. I'm just going to go down the oem+ route. Nice set of bbs's and coillies with mint bodywork. I've not signed up to any golf forums yet to be honest but i will next week when i finish the engine.

Whats will all the GT Creations balls....why not just say "Im doing up my Golf...".

Anyway, love Mk2s, will be interesting to see how it turns out.

The GT Creations is something me and my mate are working on to basically offer automotive services. It will be just on weekends to start as we both have full time jobs but hopefully if it becomes profitable to do it full time then i dont see why not.

I heart the Mk2.

This is a shed though ;)

<3

Have faith tunst she will be a beauty x

MK2 Golf <3

Thanks Jason

Hoepfully by the end of the week ill have a nice update. So far the original engines been removed after we decided to refurb the original insted as we knew this engine runned but just leaked oil. The heads been skimmed, all seals replaced, de-cocked and painted. The original headgaskets been removed from the block and all water/oil ways have been blown threw with an airline to clear any blockages. The sump has been fully cleaned of the old manky oil and refitted with a new gasket. A new clutch has been fitted also. All thats left to do really is to wack on the new cambelt and pulley and refit the engine back in. Theres loads of other little bits that have been done but ill go more into detail with the update. Once the engines in and its running i can finally start to detail it.

Rb 182
I'll take some pics soon tommy. Mines is a small bumper think i might keep it that way.

I'm need to rob some parts from a Gti, which was why i was asking about the forums.

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
Spot on Dave, i like small bumper versions. What parts do you need we have loads, broke about 5 gti's atm (pm me).

Got the engine running properley last night after tweeking the dizzy and it now idles perfect. The only problem atm is the lower rad hose is cold so it looks like the thermostat isn't openening. So ill whip it off and test it. I've also fitted brand new driveshafts and wishbones. I will hopefully have the full update tomorow.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It'll have been a long PM ;)

I'll be keeping an eye on this as well Tommy, for obvious reasons ;) Looks a decent base to start from though.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
My dad had a golf gti like this and then a mk3 gti over the space of about 6 years and nothing went wrong with them,

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
It'll have been a long PM ;)

I'll be keeping an eye on this as well Tommy, for obvious reasons ;) Looks a decent base to start from though.

Nice one John, the shell is mint no rot on it atal. The paint work looks s**t but its been sat under a tree for about 4 months so just needs a really good detail. The engine's running sweet sounds really good for an 8v. Just won a remus exhaust system on ebay for £30 :) Mines got a hole in the mid pipe so needed changing anyway so that should be a nice temp replacement. I need to do a frigging update but im being lazy :(

My dad had a golf gti like this and then a mk3 gti over the space of about 6 years and nothing went wrong with them,

They do sound like a very good car and i carnt wait to start driving it. :)

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
I know :( test drive 2 has taken over my life!

over the weekend the drivers door window reg decided to snap so we replaced it with a fully working one. Iv'e still got to do the heater matrix as that also decided to piss hot water everywhere (A common sign of mk2's previously being overheated) so ive bypassed the hose atm and ive just got to get round to fitting the new matrix. I'm still in the process of polishing the paintwork but the weathers been crap this weekend so no progress :(.

I will update with pics this week :D

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
Good man, any joy with a price on these rear lamps for me?

s**t i forgot dave ill ask him tonight. I went over there on the weekend and seen them on the shelf so i know he 100% has them. Ill pm you as soon as ive spoke to him :)

Ur slowing breaking this poor car too :(

Tunst get your urself on the box tonight. I'm not breaking it, there just teething problems :rasp: once there out of the way she will be a beauty.

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
UPDATEEEEEEE!!!!!

Right then, heres some pics of the engine being dismantled with the head reoned..
DSC01193.jpg

DSC01188.jpg

DSC01186.jpg

Back in the car..
DSC01198.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

DSC01212.jpg

DSC01252.jpg

The paintworks quite faded and oxidised so i gave it alittle black t-cut and it comes out beaut again..
DSC01245.jpg

DSC01247.jpg

New driveshafts...
DSC01205.jpg

DSC01209.jpg

New wishbones and ball joints...
DSC01204.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

DSC01208.jpg

My ebay bargain remus stainless system..
DSC01220.jpg

The new wheels, bbs ra's in black with polished lips..
DSC01263.jpg

DSC01265.jpg

DSC01264.jpg

New smoked front indicators to go with the 16v rears....
DSC01266.jpg

New oil filter, oil, engine flush and front engine mount..
DSC01270.jpg

Sadly Im having to sell her now as the heads gone again. I literally havnt got the time or space to get a recon head and fit it. I would love to keep it but i need a more practical car hence why the saxo's back on the road :). I hope she goes to a good home, I've spent alot on the car already and only had 600 miles use out of her :(. If anybodys interested from here, heres the add on ph.....
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2551678.htm

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
We think it might be fractured dan. The oil galleries looked ok but there definatly something wrong with that head. The previous owner had the head skimmed and that was apparently the 2nd time so when i had it done it would of been the 3rd. I think when the **** before ran it so hot it must of cracked something internally. It really needs a recon head tbh. I thought by getting the head skimmed and a slight referb ide get away with it but i didnt. Like i said i would love to keep it but i just havnt got the time to keep it off the road. Ive had a good offer for it at the mo so it looks like its going. The money i get from the golf will be ploughed into getting a 16v plus rallye gearbox for the saxo. So its going to a good cause.