ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GT5

Right. So spending hours on cs is ok. But having a wheel makes you a 40yr old virgin? ;)

It's much more enjoyable with a wheel. But then every driving game is.

As a single man taking a woman back to your place the mac you use to browse the web does not have the same stigma as a bloody gaming wheel and paraphernalia dumped in the lounge. Unlike a CS baller I don't have a gaming room in the west wing and lugging gear like that in and out of cupboards is a pain in the ass.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
As a single man taking a woman back to your place the mac you use to browse the web does not have the same stigma as a bloody gaming wheel and paraphernalia dumped in the lounge. Unlike a CS baller I don't have a gaming room in the west wing and lugging gear like that in and out of cupboards is a pain in the ass.

Nonsense. The wheel packs up in 2mins. Attaches to my table in 2mins. No one needs a full gaming chair etc, just ott.

Nonsense. The wheel packs up in 2mins. Attaches to my table in 2mins. No one needs a full gaming chair etc, just ott.

For you perhaps but your property is not mine, I need to move numerous items of furniture to set one up in my lounge which I'm guessing you don't. That's before we get into the £200 premium of a wheel and a stand. What suits one will not suit another. It seems this game needs a wheel and for me that's not a realistic option compared to the convenience of a pad.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
My brothers logitech has pedals? (one with the red ring on the wheel)

Sorry thats a driving force GT

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
New patch incoming 01.12.10

* More physical damage to axles, bringing leaning to left/right
* Damage in arcade mode
* Reduce the minimal framerate dips

1.6 Ford Focus
Heads up people, I don't know if anyone already knew, you do actually have to pay for repairs when you damage the car!

Every time you damage the car the price of the body rigidity goes up.

Lee

BMW M2C
I'm using the driving force pro, had it for yrs. Was the official gt4 wheel iirc
5adb8882-503f-f8fb.jpg

That's what I'm using at home on my Wheel Stand Pro (which I store under the stairs so I don't look like a 40 year old virgin), and a G27 on a race seat at work.

I think I prefer my old GT wheel.

Have you noticed how some cars seem to have a pendulum in them, which is constantly swinging left to right even though you're in a perfect straight line! You can see the g meter isn't staying central and you have to keep fighting it. It's a real pain in the arse.

My thoughts now I'm roughly 10 hours in.

Positives: Most of the cars I've driven feel great. The shift of weight, the loading up in the tyres, the feeling of working hard to extract a fast lap all add to the pleasure of driving.

It's got ace force feedback support.

That's about it really. Every other area of the game is massively bellow par for a game which has been in development as long as GT5 has. To say they're going to add additional online features in a patch is a piss take when they've had as long as they have. I've not had a race with damage yet. Bouncing of walls sucks. AI sucks. Front end sucks. Doing the same license tests as all previous GT games shows no imagination again. Collecting a car you have won is a slow painful experience which means I never want to collect the cars I've won due to the load times and the crap sequence.

Due to the network issues they've had I spent most last night looking at a black screen with a GT logo on it and couldn't even get in to an online race.

Visually it's nothing special, even the trade mark solid 60fps is gone, with it often dropping below. For me GT5 had to be the ultimate tech tour de force on PS3, but after all this time it's fallen short, and they really don't have any excuses as to why. Most games don't get a third that amount of dev time! Surely the only people who've been working flat out on the game have been the guys modelling the cars, as the rest is just re hashed GT 1,2,3 and 4.

Who on earth thought campa van racing was ever going to be fun? Even if that was online I'd still find it boring as hell.

If it had only taken 2-3 years to dev I'd forgive most of those things, but 5 years with nothing new to show for it is hard to swallow.

So for me, the driving side of it holds up well and is still as enjoyable as ever from a GT game, and the main reason to keep coming back for more. The rest is just average, when it should be getting me hard. Overall just trying to get to the track is very frustrating.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Decent review mate. Similar to what I thought... except I hated how it drove, too. That said, I was using the awful PS3 pad.

Decent review mate. Similar to what I thought... except I hated how it drove, too. That said, I was using the awful PS3 pad.

So the general consensus is you need to fork out at least £40+ on top of the purchase of the game to get a wheel to make it in any way a good game?

Forza FTW

Lee

BMW M2C
Hmmm, was going to go and buy a ps3 soley for this game today. But im having second thoughts...

It's why I've got mine. I've had it from day one ready! The only other games it's been used for have been Wipeout HD, GT Prologue and Uncharted 1 and 2. To be fair, I'd own one purely for Uncharted 1 and 2. Plus it's a fine Bluray player.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The car physics and control are excellent and if I can ever get online with good clean racers then that is what will definitely keep me coming back to the game long term. For me the driving experience in GT5 is less arcadey than F3 and more sim based.

Get an Xbox Slim, buy Forza 3, and pocket the change/buy a wheel!

Simples

Until it breaks in 3 months, microsoft send you a replacement and that breaks in 2 months and then you get another in a further couple of months. The PS3 pad is amazing, people just want to find fault with anything i guess.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Until it breaks in 3 months, microsoft send you a replacement and that breaks in 2 months and then you get another in a further couple of months. The PS3 pad is amazing, people just want to find fault with anything i guess.

LOL, behave

The PS3 pad is a piece of s**t in comparison with the 360 one

PS3 pad amazing - You been smoking crack son?

Listerine & Poledo
LOL, behave

The PS3 pad is a piece of s**t in comparison with the 360 one
Depends

I've had playstations since the original and find X-Box pads really cumbersome and nasty, but then, X-boxers cant seem to wrap their meat-hooks around a PS3 pad either

Depends

I've had playstations since the original and find X-Box pads really cumbersome and nasty, but then, X-boxers cant seem to wrap their meat-hooks around a PS3 pad either

Too many people are still strung up on the old rugby sized pad on the original Xbox, new one is 1000000% better.

FOCUS ST 275
so whats the best way to get money fast in the game then?

Won the FR cup with the s15 and got a car worth 90k for it, anything better than that available?

Lee

BMW M2C
so whats the best way to get money fast in the game then?

Won the FR cup with the s15 and got a car worth 90k for it, anything better than that available?

I've done all Gold in the first two lots of license tests, but the quickest levelling and cash earning I've done so far was by doing the special races.

By the way, quit the PS3 Vs. Xbox debate, this thread is about GT5. Leave the fanboi s**t for a seperate thread. Or stop being poor and own all console and controllers like a true CS high roller. ;)

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
can you re do the same licence and get the same car over and over again like on pre GT's?

the FR cup where is that one? cant see it

getting close to complete level 13 now

imposible that camper van on TG track

1.6 Ford Focus
imposible that camper van on TG track

Agreed, I can't even get the damn beginner one done! The rest of them were easy as abc.

Im always too scared to get too close in case 1 of them brakes and I crash into them or too scared to overtake on a corner in case I get disqualified for cutting the corner too much or hitting a cone. After the first lap im in 6th place and keep getting disqualified trying to overtake on the second to last corner.