ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EA - ARE YOU HAVING A LAUGH?

Stagecoach Ticket
Someone will crack the online coding system and you will be able to play for free anyway. Its the same sort of thing that software companys use like windows and autocad. AutoCAD tryed to change me £1500 for a second PC license. Cracks are available for most media types .

All EA are doing here is trying to dominate the market place and not loose potencil revenue on the used market.

But what they are really doing is f**king over alot of customers and retailers such as game and gamstation.

saxo :P
its cashing in on everything they can imo, if they get a crap deal from retailers etc.. then thats their problem, they should employ better staff to haggle lol, charging people for using a product that wasnt initially bought by them, yet bought either way is wrong. this type of action makes people turn to piracy more as the more they push to get money from a product the more people will think sod that ill just play it for free and give u nothing, its not like games etc are cheap in the first place..

maybe they should get the game price dropped (RRP) then charge everyone for the code, therefore cutting out the retailers profit and keeping it themselves with code sales..

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
^ In the case of console games (that - on the whole - don't require you to have a HDD installation) why is selling something that I OWN - after I've had enough of it - infringing a copyright? I'm not unlawfully distributing or copying said item, just re-selling it intact, normally at a loss.

Guess what? I can do this with any of my posessions, should I choose.
I think this topic has kinda diverged and gone a little off track but...

_Nero_ - you haven't done anything 'wrong.' You legally purchased the game and took legal ownership of that game. You're not infringing copyright so all is good. Of course, were you to create/sell illegal copies then thats a whole different story, as would it be if you 'dishonestly appropriated' the game in the first instance. (And I think that's why this thread has gone off topic a little, and yes I'm as much to blame as anyone!) :eek:

Still, it's good to have a debate. *thumbs up*

182 Full of Fat
Thank you Roy... spot on!

The second hand / used game market is a real thorn in the side for publishers and developers. I can't quote up-to-date figures but when I was working in the industry a £35 game would result in approximately £1.50 in returns to the developer, and (IIRC) about £7.50 to the publisher and the rest went to the retailers and distributors. And you wonder why the games industry is so f##ked up and dev houses regularly go under with 'financial issues?' The folks that MAKE the games get the smallest cut. To me that sucks donkey balls but people tend not to see that side of the coin (present company excepted, Roy).

Typically a second hand game (used) might sell for a few quid less than a brand new copy... the difference is that the second hand game is pure profit for the retail outlet. Not a single penny of that second hand purchase goes back to the developer. In times of multi-million pound budgets (even for modest games) then maybe you start to get some idea of why developers tend to find the whole second hand game market a little unfair in many ways.

And that's why I think it's a good move. Publishers trying to protect their investments and sufficient funds filtering their way back to the dev houses that actually make the games.

What a load of tripe sorry lol

Like someone before mentioned it's the consumers fault if they can't afford it new, you can easily flip it around with it's NOT the consumer's fault that the dev company is only getting a certain percentage per sale.

2nd hand sales have absolutely NOTHING to do with where it originated from, It's their problem not ours if they're not making enough money off the initial sale.

It's like buying a used car then having to pay the manufacturer to use the car lol

It won't affect me because if I do buy a game i'll buy it new, but I think it's a poor move to make people (who obviously have a reason for buying 2nd hand) fork out MORE money to play a game.

Goliath I
As I mentioned earlier...

Fifa will retail at say £40 new, it will then sell secondhand in the first year approx £30....
If the consumer then has to fork out an additional £10 to access any online usage, they are paying the same price as if they bought it brand new

Goliath I
Also...

How will this affect rental? I use Lovefilm and there is no chance that I am going to have any EA games on order which I'd have to pay to access online :dapprove:

GAME etc are to blame for this for taking the piss with their second-hand prices (although to be fair, "we" are to blame for paying these prices) and pushing second-hand stock over new.

The second-hand market used to be fairly easy-going, but now GAME devote more than half of their floor space to second-hand games, and actively encourage shoppers to buy the second-hand copy (usually at only a few pounds less) instead. And I do mean actively encourage, i.e. taking a new title to the till and them saying "you can have a second-hand copy for £3 less instead"

EA aren't getting a single penny from that second-hand sale, so they rightfully have no requirement to support that buyer in any way. By giving a code to the new purchaser, the original buyer isn't affected so as long as you buy new, it isn't going to make any difference to you.

Re rentals etc, apparently there will be 7 day 'trial' codes (which a machine can only use once) so that has been neatly side-stepped...unless you want to rent the game more than once.

The amusing thing is, this isn't a new thing anyway. Forza 3 came with a code to unlock a load of cars and tracks, if you buy the game second-hand you have to buy those cars and tracks as DLC...this is no different really, lots of games are doing it.

Last edited:
  182 Full of Fat
GAME etc are to blame for this for taking the piss with their second-hand prices (although to be fair, "we" are to blame for paying these prices) and pushing second-hand stock over new.

The second-hand market used to be fairly easy-going, but now GAME devote more than half of their floor space to second-hand games, and actively encourage shoppers to buy the second-hand copy (usually at only a few pounds less) instead. And I do mean actively encourage, i.e. taking a new title to the till and them saying "you can have a second-hand copy for £3 less instead"

EA aren't getting a single penny from that second-hand sale, so they rightfully have no requirement to support that buyer in any way. By giving a code to the new purchaser, the original buyer isn't affected so as long as you buy new, it isn't going to make any difference to you.

Re rentals etc, apparently there will be 7 day 'trial' codes (which a machine can only use once) so that has been neatly side-stepped...unless you want to rent the game more than once.

The amusing thing is, this isn't a new thing anyway. Forza 3 came with a code to unlock a load of cars and tracks, if you buy the game second-hand you have to buy those cars and tracks as DLC...this is no different really, lots of games are doing it.

But that isn't our fault and not our problem lol For every 2nd hand game that is there it must have been bought new in the 1st place to get there.

Plus that isn't the same thing at all, there is a difference to getting free bonus downloads with a new game (which has been around for years) and having to pay to get any online services with the game.

But that isn't our fault and not our problem

It's not EAs problem either, the second-hand sale doesn't make them a penny, but does potentially lose them a new purchase because GAME etc push pre-owned stock so agressively (often only at a few pounds under the new price). It's a unique situation as no other media shares 50%+ of its floor space with pre-owned stock.

It will also stop retailers selling second-hand as new (GAME apologised for selling 'display' stock online recently, lots of people were receiving clearly used games)

182 Full of Fat
The argument just doesn't stand imo for the consumvers vs EA. Surely EA should be looking at reviewing the situation with GAME then and not the consumer who is giving them the money in the 1st place.

Just another cheap shot too make another penny which is pretty low.

Surely EA should be looking at reviewing the situation with GAME then and not the consumer who is giving them the money in the 1st place.

But the consumers affected by this aren't giving EA a single penny, it's all profit for the retailer. Buy it new and life goes on as normal, enter your code and never think about it again.

Only pre-owned buyers are affected, they cost EA money if anything, as they will be the stragglers using the servers once most others have moved on (admittedly a moot point with EA Sports games which currently have a limited server life)

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Shouldn't affect many people because if you shop around you can usually find a game new online for same or less than used in a shop. I got MW2 couple months after release for £25 from Play.com when Game where selling used for £30+.

57 Clio Campus Sport
I've had constant problems connecting to EA online on skate 3 as well. Always disconnecting from server or unavailable. They ask for code to share you stuff which is needed for some achievements. So you have to pay or have achievements blocked from you which is even cheekier.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Is it just me who thinks.. I just wont buy Tiger woods ? or any other game like that.. sure EA might be a big player.. but there are other games out there !

Goliath I
It's not EAs problem either, the second-hand sale doesn't make them a penny, but does potentially lose them a new purchase because GAME etc push pre-owned stock so agressively (often only at a few pounds under the new price). It's a unique situation as no other media shares 50%+ of its floor space with pre-owned stock.

It will also stop retailers selling second-hand as new (GAME apologised for selling 'display' stock online recently, lots of people were receiving clearly used games)

Without the pre owned market it is unlikely stores like Game and Gamestation would even survive in this day. They take advantage of a situation and capitalise on it....

Where I find it unfair EA will be charging fore online play (especially 360 owners who have already paid they're dues) EA can make a high profit out of DLC...

Online play should fall as part of the game package, but why not make some accesories of the game (as seen with other titles) only available to new copies and second hand be available as DLC?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
What a load of tripe sorry lol

:D No need to apologise, everyone's entitled to their own views/opinions. I would come back with a response but ukaskew has hit the nail on the head with his replies and articulated it far better than I ever could.

Also, my views may be different to others as I'm talking from an 'insiders' point-of-view rather than the games-buying public. And the bottom line, believe it or not, is that developers DO get a bum deal and it still pees me off no end. It's not half as glamorous as peeps think and the amount of money making it back to the folks that need it is minimal.

You say that EA are greedy... fair enough. But I say it's the retailers and distributors/middle men that are the problem here. They must be laughing all the way to the bank...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
:D No need to apologise, everyone's entitled to their own views/opinions. I would come back with a response but ukaskew has hit the nail on the head with his replies and articulated it far better than I ever could.

Also, my views may be different to others as I'm talking from an 'insiders' point-of-view rather than the games-buying public. And the bottom line, believe it or not, is that developers DO get a bum deal and it still pees me off no end. It's not half as glamorous as peeps think and the amount of money making it back to the folks that need it is minimal.

You say that EA are greedy... fair enough. But I say it's the retailers and distributors/middle men that are the problem here. They must be laughing all the way to the bank...

Got to agree. Let's see. Rent some office space, chuck up a few shelves and let the product sell themselves. No fabrication, no assembly, no advertising, no selling even! Sounds like easy money to me. :)

D.

Evo 8 MR
just a pain putting code in and will effect resale value

Oh no, such hardship, I really feel for you...

It's to cut into the used game market's profit margin, that is all. The consumer shouldn't be affected.

Some of the rubbish in this thread is unreal.

Goliath I
Oh no, such hardship, I really feel for you...

It's to cut into the used game market's profit margin, that is all. The consumer shouldn't be affected.

Some of the rubbish in this thread is unreal.

WTF? We as the consumer are going to be forking out an additional £10 on top the cost of purchase for a pre-owned game

Re: EA on How To Destroy The Second Hand Games Market

Source: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1088621p1.html

I would understand if it was on PS3 but we already pay for Xbox Live on 360 and they want us to pay an extra fee to play their games online if you buy it second hand. It seems it will include all online features like roster updates etc also.

Now I dont know if this is true or has already been put up in this thread but if it means free downloads of new dlc for games it isn't that bad! I mean one map pack for COD MW2 was something like £10-£12 so you make you money back with that download alone. And as everyone has said, the publishers just want to make a bit more moeny which is what business is all about.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Re: EA on How To Destroy The Second Hand Games Market

Now I dont know if this is true or has already been put up in this thread but if it means free downloads of new dlc for games it isn't that bad! I mean one map pack for COD MW2 was something like £10-£12 so you make you money back with that download alone. And as everyone has said, the publishers just want to make a bit more moeny which is what business is all about.

LOL doesn't include DLC, thats still extra.

Civic Si
WTF? We as the consumer are going to be forking out an additional £10 on top the cost of purchase for a pre-owned game

indeed however the price of the pre-owned game 'should', in theory, cost less because of this meaning it will even itself out.

and if they dont lower the prices to reflect it, then consumers simply wont buy pre-owned games, they'll by the new ones.

ibiza cupra
Most of the games I've bought on my 360 are pre-owned, but this still won't really affect me as I don't play many games online

The ones I do play online I bought new :p
im the same. wouls take the pi$$ if you end up paying more for the code than you did for the game though lol.