ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Guide on how to use filler?

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
Hey guys have you got any advice on how to use filler on cars to cover dents or holes? cheers

Black Gold Trophy
mix it up on a piece of cardboard and then use an applicator (usually supplied) to spread it on, dont worry if the filler is slightly above the rest of the panel as you can sand it down afterwards. Spray some filler primer on after it has dried and you have sanded it down, and you will be able to see if it is level and whether there are any dips in the filler

Punto/Clio GTT
ideally you want to remove most of the dent first, using as little filler as possible.

if its a tiny dent, then just go straight at it with the filler, if its big, then its ideal to be dropping door cards off or rear quarter cards and tapping the dent out as much as possible.

if its a small dent, then rough the area up with P180, tight skim of filler and sand it down with P180.

if its a big dent, you wanna be using P80 to rough the area up to bare metal, clean skim of filler and sand it down with P80 too.

if its a huge dent then dont be affraid to drop down to P40.

keep the rubber block flat at all times, keep changing the direction you sand according to where the filler is high.

make sure when your filler is right that you drop down the grades, ideally to P320, ready to prime.

this eliminates any risk of sinking in the future and nasty deep scratches from showing

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
Its my first time so thanks for the advice guys..

I do see filler in Halfords but dont have clue which filler is most ideal. Any links to where you get a good one?

I'm trying to fill the gap up on the front bumper of my number plate.. Would it be ideal to filler it up?

mx5
If i understand correctly you are on about removing the numberplate recess?

Im not an expert on the subject, but pretty sure thats to big an area to be using filler alone, as it will sink/crack. Better of plastic welding or using fibreglass

ibiza cupra
ideally you want to remove most of the dent first, using as little filler as possible.

if its a tiny dent, then just go straight at it with the filler, if its big, then its ideal to be dropping door cards off or rear quarter cards and tapping the dent out as much as possible.

if its a small dent, then rough the area up with P180, tight skim of filler and sand it down with P180.

if its a big dent, you wanna be using P80 to rough the area up to bare metal, clean skim of filler and sand it down with P80 too.

if its a huge dent then dont be affraid to drop down to P40.

keep the rubber block flat at all times, keep changing the direction you sand according to where the filler is high.

make sure when your filler is right that you drop down the grades, ideally to P320, ready to prime.

this eliminates any risk of sinking in the future and nasty deep scratches from showing
+1 when im doing filler repairs i always flat like the unionjack flag. upand down, back and forth and diagonal from all corners. dont forget to gently rub your hand over the repair every now and then to make sure you are not going too mad and flatting too much out or not enough. oh and mix you filler to hardner with a ratio of 1:40 or a pea size of hardner to a golfball size of filler. if you dnt mix it right then it will either take forever to go hard or will go hard to quickly and not give you enough time to put it where you want it.

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
got pics mate of what youre trying to do?

Im afraid not. My other halfs taken the camera on a holiday so i cant.. Well basically i wanna do the prep in my car by myself so that i can send it off for a respray.. there are just little car dents here and there which i would like to repair.. and the previous bodyshop had fucked up my car bad so i wanted to sand and prep the whole car by myself. Hope you got what i was trying to say.. lol.

Thanks kevin.. will take that into account!