ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gus's blackgold 182

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Been driving around in Renaultsport Clios since I got my first 172 in 2003. Ive never really done much apart from general maintenance with my previous clios but have enjoyed every minute of driving them. Seems everyone posts their old cars so here are mine:
Clio 172 - ran it from 2003 - 2010 27k ->156k then sold it (want it back if anyone knows where it is)
r2whnFn.jpg

Then bought a 182 again in black in 2010 and ran it till 2014 78k-> 116K
UV562RO.jpg

Last summer I decided to sell my last 182 as I didnt like it and try and buy the best 182 I could find.

I spent months on the look out for an immaculate blackgold 182 with as low mileage as I could find. I was tempted by a Trophy but Ive never really liked the colour and was set on a black 182. Around the end of July there was a member on here who put up for sale a 182 with 23k mile 2006 182 - the production date shows its pretty much the last off the line. It looked perfect so made the call and shot up to Long Eaton to look at it. Everything was pretty much 'as new' on it. It hadnt been modified in any way, belts had been done a month or two before I bought it by Mick at Diamond Motors as well as the MOT with no advisories.
Here is a pic from the sellers ad:
rqs0.jpg

and here are a few from when I got it and took it to France:
RKsNxyt.jpg

7FFtiK5.jpg

Having a car in such good condition makes it a joy to work on which is what I intend on doing.

The plan is to carry out a few select modifications to improve the handling, performance as well as the sound system and parts of the interior. I dont want it to look too modified and have chosen stuff that Renault would have used on some of their cars.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Over the last few months I have been collecting together the bits and pieces that I am going to be using. The intention is to start the project off after the new year.
OK so on to the stuff thats going on to the car:
First up was the stereo - I do a lot of driving around so need to be able to have in-car bluetooth phone handsfree and decent sound quality. I didnt want to add massive weight to the car and dont think this package added much more than 1 kilo. I have done the stereo install already in this thread: http://www.cliosport.net/threads/perfect-underseat-sub-stereo-and-speaker-install.758455/
here is what I chose to use:
Headunit -
jH6mrvR.jpg

The inline amp - this thing is awesome ! small enough to hide behind the climate control panel:
mlu5Vu9.jpg

speakers front and back including tweeters and cross over:
wZQQPJo.jpg

And an underseat sub - the plan is to get another one for the drivers seat. They fit so so well, see the thread link above.
w4Z9SLl.jpg

It has made a massive difference and I love it. It was expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Next up I decided to get a brake upgrade. I spotted these on here a while back and they have been completely reconditioned - new seals , pistons , powder coated in porsche yellow (not my first choice but starting to come around). They are peugeot Brembo 4 pots, with motrex performance adapter , 300mm discs ( not pictured) ds2500 pads , extended braided brake lines, some stuff to help with possible squeeling, new pins and clips, some spacers that I will show later, a load of bolts and some superblue form the main man G172.
on to the pics:
nnA6jF7.jpg

s85zBMU.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
I like the standard anthracite 182 wheels, they look right and will be keeping them as spare wheels but have always wanted a set of turinis. I have not been sure of what colour I wanted so get a set of silver and trophy ones. I preferred the trophy ones so sold the silver ones.
K79UhUz.jpg

the trophy ones would look much better with yellow brakes I thought:
m0nzbgs.jpg

eWHK0W5.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Next was tyres for the Turinis, went with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 from Tyre leader which were pretty cheap.
bMQG6El.jpg

I also got the old Skoda Fabia splitter :
c1y1X0Y.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
For suspension I have gone with Bilstein B14 - managed to get a fantastic deal with @dann2707 on these from Germany - Usually they are £700+ here in the Uk but only £560 from Germany.
LGSN3vG.jpg

UHWQ0U2.jpg

I have always like the V6 Trophy spoiler but finding real ones for sale is quite hard so bought the replica one off ebay for £90ish. It needs painting though.
wFXLp9l.jpg

SGSgWJq.jpg

EYYwJil.jpg

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Now there is probably a load more stuff that I need out get out of boxes which I will do later. BUT... my favourite thing by far is next....
They stopped making these years ago and they are pretty hard to come by as well as expensive even second hand. Imagine my amazement when I found these BRAND NEW on Ebay in Austria. Will let the pictures do the talking (sorry for not rotating a few of these) :
nCUwaSL.jpg

6mEa5w9.jpg

tIs6rFA.jpg

3moBjL5.jpg

AhHLO2l.jpg

baOimnf.jpg

I8gAAQF.jpg

evy4PTk.jpg

sbo7XGt.jpg

Im f**king happy with these I tell you. Cant wait to get the mounts from @JON FOZ
There was trouble with getting these though - they were meant to be delivered yesterday but when the lorry pulled up he had 5 packs of floor boards instead - It turns out the seats went to someone in Norfolk with a similar name to me and I got their floorboards. The freight company sorted it out though and they were delivered at 9 this morning.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Cheers mate, Cant wait to start working on it, just wish I had a massive garage.

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
They are lovely,I bet you're going to be mighty careful getting in and out now.

I should be able to sort your seat frames out just after the new year, there isn't much happening at the moment.

Cheers

Reactions: Gus

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Ah the perfect black gold 182, subtle and well thought out mods, total fan. Can't wait to see this when sorted. Great work!!

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely!!

Can I ask how much did the records set you back?

I really fancy a set of bilsteins arghhh! Everyone says they are brilliant! And German company are really cheap!!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Was on Ebay a few weeks ago and saw them - emailed the guy and asked a few questions - the seller asked if I knew simon (chip mk1) as he had bought a set. I talked to chip and he said that the seller was sound and not to worry even though he was in Austria. The seller had bought a load of trendlines to deck out a VW camper with as well as a porsche engine. He had fallen on unlucky times and needed to sell up.

The seats had been sat in boxes in his warehouse since 2010 I think. I said to the seller that I would hold off bidding on the auction (starting price was £1100 + delivery) and if the seats went unsold I would pay him £990 including delivery. No one bid on the auction and I ended up buying them for £990 including delivery. Delivery probably wouldnt have been cheap for him either. Renault used to sell the trendlines back in 2005 for £550 each without frames so didnt do too badly.
I still need the frames that the seats sit on that will bolt to the car. They can be pretty expensive for Recaro ones but am getting copies made by Jon on here.

The Bilsteins were from https://www.mk-fahrwerkstechnik.de/ they are a great company and have amazing reviews on some german review site. They came in 5 days boxed up well, as in the pics above using DHL. They have loads of coilovers for 172/182s as well as spacers , worth having a browse and if you use google chrome browser right click the page and select translate.

The Austrian seller has some of these if anyone needs them:
P.S.
If you know anyone who Need recaro Speed, I also have a pair of it (black stuff) , not new but in very good condition!
Price 600€ without shipping cost

Always amazed at the pile of bits waiting you seem to have at any one time!

Where did you get the tyres fitted/balanced/disposed & how much?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Hi @Steven103 , after having a sit in your car and trying your Recaros I knew had to get some. Theres a really good place near Amersham that I go to now and again called Wheels in Motion. Im going to get them to set up the coilovers (perhaps fit them too) and also fit the tyres at the same time. Its an amazing place with awesome technology. http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/ . If you ever need a steering alignment they charged me £50 last year and tyres are £12 a corner and they use the fancy tyre weights that sit at the back of the wheel. The waiting room is nice too, car simulator game and nice coffee.

Not that many places in Oxford that I trust with not scraping alloys - brookos behind mcdonalds on Botley Road are pretty good though and cheap

Want to meet up after christmas?

I'm glad you got the price of the Recaros down, seems a reasonable deal in the end. Thanks for the tyre fitting recommendations. I'm just after cheap tyre fitting on winter/track wheels etc so I'll give Brookos a go next time.

Yep, I think a mini-meet could be good. Oxford was chosen as the "in the middle of everyone" location for a national-CS-pub-crawl-thing in February but I'm not sure how much meaningful conversation will occur lol.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Had a quiet weekend so thought I would start getting my interior sorted.
Got these brand new Trendlines a while back and just needed the frames so I could install them. Got the frames off @JON FOZ and they are absolutely fantastic. The frames are identical to recaro Frames but made with better materials and powdercoated in a nice and oem black. The frames fitted perfectly and didnt have any troubles with them. I did have a few problems with getting the old seats out though. Two of the seat bolts were under my Milltek centre section. I ended up having to undo the olive joint to move it enough to get to the bolt. This was fine but now that I have refitted the olive joint it is blowing a little. I have ordered a new renault olive joint along with some exhaust paste to help it seal.

I also soldered in the 3.3ohm resistors and that worked a treat. No airbag lights for me. need to cable tie the cables as they are loose at the moment.

anyway here are some pics.
fAJTZy0.jpg

SMSb5T3.jpg

IiIYrEk.jpg

Need to get a leather cover made up for the seat belt pre tensioner.
ymCTr41.jpg

swvg9oM.jpg

I have got decals for the frames but to be honest I think they look better without.
CTLHqK5.jpg

These frames also retain the slider handle
qgk2EwZ.jpg

I have also had a steering wheel retrimmed by Royal Steering wheels in Aylesbury. After seeing Anthony's @gambit steering wheel I knew I had to have a chunky alcantara one. It feels so nice in your hands.
E8wf3gk.jpg

qzL5LvD.jpg

8JEVIFC.jpg

I was really pleased with myself after fitting the steering wheel. But that was short lived. I connected the battery and switched the car on and got the dreaded airbag light. I will need to remove the airbag and check the connectors but will leave that for another day.

After that I tidied up my underseat sub which I had run the cable under the carpet to the day before. Looks great now.

And thats it for now.

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Looking good,I bet you are scared to sit in those seats,I've got a leather cover here you can borrow if it helps to get some made for your pre tensioner.

Jon

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
@JON FOZ
Hi Jon, that would be amazing. thank you for the offer. Can I still buy those bearings off you, that way you could put the cover in the same package. Is it Ok to borrow the cover for a week , two max as I need to buy some alcantara off ebay. Will pm you this evening.
Cheers
Gus

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Yes,I've still got bearings,can pop them all in together tomorrow if you want,I didn't think about getting the covers made but alcantara ones sound nice,will look into that to offer them with the adaptors,thanks for the idea ;)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Been ages since I updated this thread and is well overdue so will do my best to remember what I have done since February. Im going to struggle as there has been lots done.
PMS top mounts
PMS Strut/sway bar
Bilstein B14 coilovers
16mm spacers up front
15 Rear stub axle spacers
Yellow 406 Brembos- Didnt like them so sold them
Brand new red 197 Brembos + PMS adapters (awesome btw) + Goodridge lines for them + 300mm discs + DS2500 pads
Another Alpine SWE1200 underseat sub so I now have one under each front seat.
Carbon dash strips and renaultsport floor mats
Fatty kit - but sold it as I bought a;
ITG Maxogen system

and lastly the best thing of all is that it is with Clioturbo right now having a stage 3 conversion done. This should be ready soon too !

Did you get the spoiler painted and fitted? Where there any issues with it being a replica?

A nice long list of upgrades up there btw jealous![emoji4]

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Did you get the spoiler painted and fitted? Where there any issues with it being a replica?

A nice long list of upgrades up there btw jealous![emoji4]
Hi, yes it was painted and I was nervous considering Dan had problems with his. I had no problems at all with mine. Initially one company said they didn't want to take it on but the second spray shop were fine and did a great job. Spray magik in oxford. Really good spoiler and really happy with it. If you do get one then get the one that has been primered.

Golf Gti edition 30
Clio looks brilliant and alot spent on it in the right places to make it a cracking road car.Hopefully get mine similar to yours plus with me going for a stage 3 turbo aswell.

Hi, yes it was painted and I was nervous considering Dan had problems with his. I had no problems at all with mine. Initially one company said they didn't want to take it on but the second spray shop were fine and did a great job. Spray magik in oxford. Really good spoiler and really happy with it. If you do get one then get the one that has been primered.
Bud where did you get it from? I've seen them on eBay the v6 ones from Italy see they the same ones?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Bud where did you get it from? I've seen them on eBay the v6 ones from Italy see they the same ones?
Yes thats the one, few advantages and disadvantages:
You dont need different boot struts and the boot will open all the way (trophy boots only open silly low and will catch your forehead guaranteed a few times over the course of your ownership.
Its cheap, comes with all the washer jets , nuts bolts etc.

Disadvantages are you will need a standard light strip off any mk2 clio (not the cup spoiler light strip) They are cheap though.
Also it will need a bit of messing about to fit it. I had to expand a mounting hole on the clio and also dremmel a hole too. easy though.

Painting it cost under £100 for me and luckily the shop did a great job and it hasnt reacted or anything, its perfect.
All in all its about £200 for everything - however you might get some money back from selling your old spoiler so not too bad.