ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gutted Newbie!

Hi guys.

I've been registered for years but I've only just been able to justify the cost of insuring/running a 182. I've seen how great this forum is and it helped massively with choosing and buying the car, so thanks and keep up the good work!

I'm 22 with 0ncb (never completed a full year of insurance due to uni and travelling), so when I ran a quote in January on a 182 and it finally hit the £1k mark - I started hunting! Ended up buying a BG full-fat 182 12 days ago on here from "wilcooper". Photos of the car are here: http://imgur.com/a/fIwPo (taken by him when he was selling the car).

I knew it needed new tyres when I bought it so I promptly got some Conti Sport Contact 2's fitted and immediately noticed the difference (it had Barum Bravuris fitted beforehand). Unfortunately while getting the tyres replaced the mechanic noticed I needed new track rod ends, the front N/S spring was broken and the rear O/S shock was trashed. Not wanting the chance of my parts getting replaced with standard/non-cup I ordered some replacements from Renault to be fitted. The MOT also ran out on the 27th so the car stayed on the drive until I had chance to book it in for an MOT and get the parts fitted.

So I booked the car in for it's MOT for today and decided to take the car down to the garage yesterday evening. I'm sitting in traffic just outside of Wolverhampton town centre and I'm about to pull off when I'm rear ended at an unbelievable force. It genuinely shook the s**t out of me as I wasn't looking in my rear view mirror at the time to have even seen it coming.

Some guy (who later failed his breathalyzer test) drove into the back of the person behind me at around 40mph which sent his car (the handbrake was on at the time!) off the ground and up into the back of my car.

The drunk guys car was a write off, the guy in the middle (in a Seat Leon FR) looked as if he only had slight cosmetic damage - my car didn't look bad at first but the boot floor has pinched up, the exhaust is hanging down, the engine makes a ridiculously loud supercharger type sound. The bumper is fecked and the boot door is bent and won't close. Thankfully no-one was injured but I seriously wanted to deliver a beat down in the middle of the street ffs.

Am I not supposed to own a 182??? Am I cursed??

To add further insult to injury, my ClioSport.net membership pack came while I was looking over the car this morning :dapprove:

FF 182
Wow, thats some s**t luck right there! Main thing is you and the FR driver are ok. The drunk driver can get aids and die!

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
Bad start, but welcome!

Did the police get involved with you? I'd just be a bit concerned as you didn't have MOT at the time (even though you were on the way?) and your insurance etc?

172 Cup
Well that sucks..
Hope insurance is settled quickly at least.
When you get the next one maybe do some kind of cleansing ritual?
There are lots of useful guides on the internet on how to break a curse.

I think burning lavender is supposed to help vanquish evil magic but that might not be safe in the car, perhaps a lavendar air freshner would suffice.

Last edited:

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Bad start, but welcome!

Did the police get involved with you? I'd just be a bit concerned as you didn't have MOT at the time (even though you were on the way?) and your insurance etc?

You're allowed to legally drive to an MOT station without one as long as there is an appointment booked!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
You're allowed to legally drive to an MOT station without one as long as there is an appointment booked!

Theres a busy MOT centre local to me, they don't do appointments you just drive in.. Im sure if people get pulled they just say that they are off there..
They're onto a winner as they charge over £50 but people go for the convenience..

172 Cup
That sucks although tbh the car you bought sounds like a bit of a nail anyway.
Really? All sounds like normal wear and tear to me. The bits before the crash that is. This "Wilcooper" chap should be ashamed though :rasp:

@Kangoo
I would expect that anyone doing that would be treated as though they were intending to drive indefinitely without an MOT as there's no way to verify it.

Thanks for the messages guys :)

Bad start, but welcome!

I didn't even have to explain to be honest. They checked the reg out and it cleared fine so I'm not quite sure what happened there. But as others have said, it is legal if you're driving to a pre-booked appointment.

Bad news is that it's been written off :( The boot floor has crumpled and thus the cost of repair has meant that they're writing it off.

8 years I waited for the car and I lose it after 12 days FFS!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the messages guys :)

I didn't even have to explain to be honest. They checked the reg out and it cleared fine so I'm not quite sure what happened there. But as others have said, it is legal if you're driving to a pre-booked appointment.

Bad news is that it's been written off :( The boot floor has crumpled and thus the cost of repair has meant that they're writing it off.

8 years I waited for the car and I lose it after 12 days FFS!

Gutted for you m8 - I really am. Just when you were getting her fettled up to running right as well.... :(

D.

Clio Sport 182
wow thats some seriously bad luck, glad your ok mind.
it could happen to anyone of us, u just never know with the amount of k**bheads on the road these days

172 Cup
Sorry to hear it. Sue for the cost of new tyres and suspension bits. Have you asked your insurer about buying it back? If you've got the space, time and tools to break it you might as well. Loads of chavs will pay good money for 182 seats to put in their 1.2

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
If you have a purchase receipt and other maintenance items in the last 3 months you will get back what you have paid out so at least you won't be at a loss :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
unless he is properly injured, I consider that a asshole thing to do, so I hope you were joking!!

Yep. I work for an insurance company....

There are guidelines which will fully indemnify him with none of this billy boy "sue them." You WILL get less if you do this, fact.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Ps, on a regular basis I deal with claims where cars have no Mots and unless there is evidence it would have failed we can't deduct anything. You have nothing to worry about on that front. If you're a third party they have the obligation to pay up, no question.

16v 1.6 Clio MK3 GT
damn mate i feel your pain, my car got hit on the 5th from behind on the eye Peterborough roundabout ive had the car for 2 years myself and fortunately the rammed into the corner of the bumper and my boot floor isnt crumpled how the hell it has narrowly escaped a write off i dont know but there we go.

i hate drivers behind now, i am officially paranoid about it, and i can imagine you will be.

still a sport engine, man im so gutted for you, claim as much as you frigging can!!