ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

H&R Coilovers......Totally f****d off

Iceberg 172
Has anyone else had a problem with their H&R Coilovers?

I bought mine a year ago, and last week the rear drivers shock started leaking so now I won't drive it in case it does any worse damage. I went back to the place I bought it from and they had told me that I have to buy a whole new kit, cos I bought it just over a year ago (by a few weeks) so the warranty has run out.

I am f*****d off as I didn't expect to pay nearly a grand, for it to go wrong a year later and then be told sorry but tough. I cannot afford to spend that much money again and I don't see why I should. They were definately fitted properly as I took the car to a different garage from where I had them fitted to check it out.

Its not really fixable as the shocks are usually replaced by garages, and as its an aftermarket part, i'm shafted.

Any ideas as to what I should do??

Audi Q7, Avalanche
as everyone has said, get hold of H&R, most companies offer a 'rebuild service' i had a full set done by AVO on my old fiest 2.1 ZVH, cost circa £200 for full new internals, seals and boots etc..

Iceberg 172
Just went up to my local modding shop and got the number for them. Not open til monday so i'll speak to them then and see what they can do for me.

I really hope they can either rebuild it or i can buy a new part cos I really cannot afford a whole new set.

@ Garf172 - I bought them a year and a month ago so i've been told any warranty would have run out!

Cheers guys, i'll keep you posted.

Maz

LY 200
c_lee_oh said:
I went back to the place I bought it from and they had told me that I have to buy a whole new kit, cos I bought it just over a year ago (by a few weeks) so the warranty has run out.

Didn't you fill out the warranty card and send it back to H&R ? they usually are for longer iirc :D

Ring H and R I'm sure you can buy seperate shocks but you're supposed to change both at once so both back ones in your case.

Theres loads of companaies who cna rebuild shocks though.

Did you get them on credit card? They might be willing to refund you and chase for the money themselves if you argue the point that they're hardly fit for purpose if they fail after just a year.

You can get seperate parts Chris had neglected his and the front collars seized on the strut and had to be cut off and he managed to buy them seperately so i'd imagine the same will be the case with a rear damper probably only be about £50, odd as no-one else has had an issue with theirs failing :S try motorsport tuning (the uk distributor) on 01375 362828

Iceberg 172
Maz said:
Didn't you fill out the warranty card and send it back to H&R ? they usually are for longer iirc :D

What warranty card, I still have all the stuff that the coilovers came with (all in German!) and there is no card in there!

But I will call H&R or the distributor on monday and see if I can get some new parts.

If not could any of you guys PM me or post the number of any companies that can rebuild shocks in or around the London area (i'm in Milton Keynes). Ta

Cheers for all the advice guys.

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
you can get a rear shock, as i've had to buy one!!!!, a wee bit pricey (around 100 notes deleivered iirc)

don't worry

i got mine from motorsport tuning too

Iceberg 172
gt_gaz said:
you can get a rear shock, as i've had to buy one!!!!, a wee bit pricey (around 100 notes deleivered iirc)

don't worry

i got mine from motorsport tuning too

Well kids, Motorsport tuning quoted me £130 + VAT.

Goddamn it its expensive but gotta be done. Never mind, at least I know it can be fixed!!!