ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had a longlife fitted yesterday, need help

Clio 182
So yesterday i had a cat back fitted from longlife, it sounds amazing but the guy said theres a part just infront of the cat thats on its way out, i think he said it was an "olive" section or something that needs to be ordered from renault, anybody have any idea what it is? Cheers

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
So yesterday i had a cat back fitted from longlife, it sounds amazing but the guy said theres a part just infront of the cat thats on its way out, i think he said it was an "olive" section or something that needs to be ordered from renault, anybody have any idea what it is? Cheers
Guess its a 182 its where the centre pipe meats the cat. He should of sleaved it if its not any good tbf.

Clio 182
Yes its a 182 mate, i asked him if its something he could have sorted out but he said its a part that needs to be ordered from renault, got any idea how much they cost?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182

The part just in front of the cat is a Gasket.
The olive joint is at the back of the cat and is just a clamp.

I suspect he means you need a new gasket kit rather than a new olive joint clamp.

Clio 182
The part just in front of the cat is a Gasket.
The olive joint is at the back of the cat and is just a clamp.

I suspect he means you need a new gasket kit rather than a new olive joint clamp.
Well i had a cat back fitted so if the olive joint is after the cat he should of sorted it, ill have to book it in somewere to get it checked out cheers guys

The majority of your story makes it sound like the cat/manifold joint not the olive tbh.

You said he said "infront of the cat" but you're not sure if he said "olive" or not?

Olive joints are really common and any exhaust place would have them in stock. Really easy to fit and if you were having a catback fitted then they would've needed to undo the olive joint anyway so would've taken no extra time!

In contrast the cat fitting kit (sits just in front of the cat) has a lot more parts and varies a lot car to car so you wouldn't expect a garage or exhaust place to stock them.

Cat to manifold fitting kit. About £18 from Renault. Can probably get new genuine ones on eBay. 30 mins to fit on your drive. Job done.

Clio 182
The majority of your story makes it sound like the cat/manifold joint not the olive tbh.

You said he said "infront of the cat" but you're not sure if he said "olive" or not?

Olive joints are really common and any exhaust place would have them in stock. Really easy to fit and if you were having a catback fitted then they would've needed to undo the olive joint anyway so would've taken no extra time!

In contrast the cat fitting kit (sits just in front of the cat) has a lot more parts and varies a lot car to car so you wouldn't expect a garage or exhaust place to stock them.

Cat to manifold fitting kit. About £18 from Renault. Can probably get new genuine ones on eBay. 30 mins to fit on your drive. Job done.
Thanks for your help, he defiantly said olive so dont lnow why he didnt sort it out, when its a bit drier ill get underneath and have a look and take some pics

can't understand why he didn't sort it out while fitting your exhaust. Unless he under quoted the job and just couldn't do anymore for the price? Most places would have called you and asked to spend more time/money on it to get it sorted.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Pop your head under the car and take a pic of before the cat and after, I've replaced the gasket before the cat and had the olive joint sorted in the last couple of months.

Clio 182
Pop your head under the car and take a pic of before the cat and after, I've replaced the gasket before the cat and had the olive joint sorted in the last couple of months.
Heres the pics ive just taken
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yeh you've definitely not got the olive joint there, looks like they've sleeved it and welded it together rather than just sleeving and clamping. But then there's a clamp a bit further back in a few of your pics which is strange, but either way you don't have the olive joint anymore.

As someone has already said, he probably means the gasket kit before the cat which is the rusty springs you can see along with the bolts etc, also between the manifold and the cat is a little metal gasket. I've replaced this on my drive with the car on stands but if I had to do it again, I'd just get the kit and take it to an exhaust place. Reason being it was a pain in the arse as everything was rusted and stuck on good and proper. Wouldn't take half the time on a ramp.

Oh and get a genuine kit, from what I read when I did mine, the aftermarket kits are prone to failing or not sealing properly.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The genuine kit is about 15 quid online, it's relatively easy to change by yourself, would be abit easier with a mate to help manhandle the exhaust with you.