ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had the car a week Spun it already...

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Lesson to new 182 drivers, be very gentle, Just pulled off roundabout, went sideways :eek:

Lesson learnt, be very careful with that right foot!!! :S

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Lesson to pussies, keep your foot in and you won't get lift off oversteer. ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I don't know how people manage it... Going too fast will be the reason.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Over 5 yrs of hard driving and I think I've had lift off oversteer once, warn tyres rain and me being a tit. You live and learn.

Man up, these things understeer before anything else, the back is welded to the floor. Learn how to drive before pushing on!

Impreza Wagon
Mine feels pretty planted compared to the 106! Lift off oversteer in the 106 was a regular thing but can't see it happening that easy in the Clio.

1998 BMW e46 323i
106 felt fine for me, 205: Now you're talking! And my last Scirocco, Mk II GT II needed throttle on every bend above 20mph. Clio, not so much.

Clio 172
Over 5 yrs of hard driving and I think I've had lift off oversteer once, warn tyres rain and me being a tit. You live and learn.

Man up, these things understeer before anything else, the back is welded to the floor. Learn how to drive before pushing on!

My first car was a fiat cinquecento all those years ago... now that used to nearly tip over on a round about... I was major impressed with the handling of the clio compared to other cars. Understeer yes, I've never even managed to get close to spinning it!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Dude if you spun a 182 then you've ignored alot of signals the car has given you. Do a car control course or ya mite not be so lucky next time.

J.W

RB 182 Cup
I've never had this in the wet but had some total sideways lift off over steer in the dry, I think it was a lot to do with the camber of the road changing though....

Fitting a Whiteline rear ARB at the weekend in a hope it will reduce under steer in the wet...

182 Turbo Project
It is quite possible if you try for it! Used to get loads in my old vts, s**t tyres, wet roundabout, good fun :)

Are people confusing understeer with oversteer?

In seven years of driving hard in RS Clios, I've only ever had oversteer once... and that was going too fast through Paddock at Brands Hatch.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Ya can get the back end out But usually takes heavy braking into a corner to transfer all the weight forward or slippery roads can do it. The Clio usually takes on the 3 wheel aproach more often than not.

Si

RS Clio 172
I too have only been sideways once. was coming round a corner a little too hot and had to brake as there was a car ahead. just eased onto the brakes and hey presto. DK of the IOW.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I generally go sideways when exiting roundabouts. Unless I'm going straight on of course.

So, basically, you turned in tight and fast, got scared, lifted off and found the white flag, the back end surrendered and you did a nice clean 180 ..?

Small wheelbase cars are easy to get the back end out, if encouraged.. but if you're not trying, as above, it's very difficult to spin them.

Presuming perhaps your bag of talent is empty, and/or you have granite ditch finders on the rear end ?

Dodgy one
I've only had it on Diesel, No matter how much provoking it lifting off in roundabouts it will not go,

Lifting off and hitting the brakes straight away is another matter though, then it requires a bit of correction and a bit of right foot

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Are people confusing understeer with oversteer?

In seven years of driving hard in RS Clios, I've only ever had oversteer once... and that was going too fast through Paddock at Brands Hatch.

Going too fast into a corner would cause understeer.Lletting off mid corner (so it unsettles the balance) cause lift off oversteer.

ur megane r26
I've never had oversteer at all until my rear shock decided to give in then it went sideways alot :D all fixed now though

Clio 172
It is quite possible if you try for it! Used to get loads in my old vts, s**t tyres, wet roundabout, good fun :)

...Good fun, lots of tyres, few bumpers then eventually a court hearing :p

I prefer my nose pointing down the road I intend to travel down, call me old fashioned!

They will happily oversteer if provoked. Had a nasty NASTY moment in the piff-paff at The Rock. Luckily I'm so awesome I powered through it.

The FRS is an oversteer *****. Great fun on the throttle.

To do it by accident on a roundabout though means you were either unlucky or a dick head ;)

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Don't get how you can spin because the 172/182 doesn't just snap away from you it's quite controllable.

Only time I ever spun the 172 was at Silverstone in the wet pushing to hard on R888s.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Well I had a 106 Before, I could throw that into bends and roundabouts at 40-50, and I had never had it happen before at other roundabouts. I am convinced there was oil or something on the road! :eek:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Sounds familiar :eek:

To the OP. Your doing something wrong.

Oversteer, in a clio, without provoking it, it nigh on impossible.

Unless your driving like a t1t.

The only time you prevoke it is when you know whats going to happen.

Everyone has a spin once and it teaches you a lot when you look at the error of your ways.

I used to have a lowered mini cooper s, I could get it to lift off oversteer whenever I wanted as it was so adjustable with the throttle.

I then got the trophy, decided to dance with the devil and he stood on my shoe. The back end came out on purpose with some major turn in, lift off and a tap on the brake to send it round, then it felt like the n/s/r wheel was bouncing along which nearly chucked me into the passenger seat. :eek: lesson learnt dont mess with the angry trophy, it only condones propper driving not playing lol