ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hairline scratches...argh!

E91 M Sport
Hi all,

I've got myself a car which, while only 3 years old, has suffered from a previous owner who clearly used dirty car washes and brushed past his car with zip pockets. The result is almost all panels apart from the roof have annoying, but very shallow surface scratches.

The car is metallic black (if that makes any difference!?). I want to use products that can be found locally (i.e. halfords, etc.) because I plan to work on it this weekend. I have some compound polish in a tin, but I used that once on my bike, and it virtually sanded down the paint work, so I want to avoid anything too harsh.

So detailers, what do I need? (also tips on what to use to apply it would be handy too)

Thanks.

Mito Sportiva 135
Hi all,

I've got myself a car which, while only 3 years old, has suffered from a previous owner who clearly used dirty car washes and brushed past his car with zip pockets. The result is almost all panels apart from the roof have annoying, but very shallow surface scratches.

The car is metallic black (if that makes any difference!?). I want to use products that can be found locally (i.e. halfords, etc.) because I plan to work on it this weekend. I have some compound polish in a tin, but I used that once on my bike, and it virtually sanded down the paint work, so I want to avoid anything too harsh.

So detailers, what do I need? (also tips on what to use to apply it would be handy too)

Thanks.

A black car which is badly scratched and swirled will be an absolute nightmare to work on by hand, especially using off-the-shelf Halfords products.

You are better off spending a bit more and getting it done properly rather than spending some money now and realising it has little effect. That would be my recommendation anyway.

106 GTi
As above working by hand to remove them will be a very big effort, will require lots of elbow grease and in the cold it will be even worse. What car, your Mini ? if the paint is hard like other BMW's you will have your work cut out.

I would pay someone to machine it tbh.

Mito Sportiva 135
As above working by hand to remove them will be a very big effort, will require lots of elbow grease and in the cold it will be even worse. What car, your Mini ? if the paint is hard like other BMW's you will have your work cut out.

This is how Skynet happened....;)

E91 M Sport
Ok, thanks chaps - this is the sort of info that saves me a wasted day. Its a 5 series bmw, so yes, it'll be rock solid BMW carbon black.

Who's best for this work and how much?

Mito Sportiva 135
Depends where you are. MK = Milton Keynes I presume? If you go onto Detailing World and ask someone should be closer to you.

As for cost, depends how good you want the job, as you generally get what you pay for. Owning a BMW it is well worth getting a good job as it can massively effect residual value when you come to sell. Just for exterior I would say around £100 + upwards although prices can vary quite a lot. Bare in mind its a full days work (at least!) and the best products aren't cheap.

E91 M Sport
Milton Keynes, yes. Thanks, I'll have a look over on Detailing World and see who's recommended. I'm planning on running this car for a while, but I still want it to look nice...can't stand that swirl look!

I remember one of the Evo long-termers (the Lambo I think) got his detailed every 6 months or so, but I also remember that cost big $$$!!! I'm willing to pay decent cash for a good job though.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah definitely worth doing. About every 6 months sounds about right, wish a decent wash routine in the middle which you can do yourself to keep it protected.

What BMW have you got by the way?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Get it booked in for a Paint correction session march time next yr...But knowing you, you'll have something else by then.

Mito Sportiva 135
E60 525d M Sport...looks hot, apart from the not so perfect paintwork ;)

Thanks for the tips.

Lovely car that, definitely worth taking care of as it really adds to the cars presence.

If you get it detailed make sure to take some before and after photos - will help when you come to sell too if you get through your motors.

As the man says