ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Half-Life 2: Revisited

It's been a long time since I have played through this game. I downloaded it again yesterday (via Steam) and fired it up for a level or two.

It has stood the test of time very well. Although it's obviously not a 2010 game in the visual department, it still looks great and plays like a proper shooter should. Running in 26" 1920x1200 with every possible setting maxed up, it looks ace, and runs at a million frames. The sound effects are awesomely old school, the story is gripping, and the combat is excellent. This was the game that pioneered some the visual effects that we take for granted these days.

If you haven't played it for a few years, I suggest you do. I know I am going to play all the way through again, and then do Ep1 & Ep2 for good measure. Where is Ep3 FFS? Half-Life 3...ever?

2.2 bar shed.
Valve are moving away from episodic (sp?) play back to 'full games' apparently as they couldnt fit enough story in per game. Which tbh I agree with as both episodes were far too short and just felt like a bit of wasted money really.

HL3 cant come soon enough in my books, same for Portal 2.

Yeah I can understand that point of view. Although, I personally thought both of the add-on episodes were superb. Just expansion packs really, but advancing the story. You couldn't continue the series without having played all previous games.

Half-Life 3 will be amazing. Of that, I have no doubt.

2.2 bar shed.
I'll rephrase that as Valve games are never wasted money... They were 'poor value for money'.

HL3 needs more Alyx nekid tbh.

Yeah I suppose you're right. Although, some 'full-game' shooters these days have a very short single player campaign. I never felt short changed at the end of a HL2 expansion episode. Only disappointed that it was over and that I would have to embark on another massive wait before the next game :(

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Still have a dick around on Garry's Mod when bored. If you haven't go that, get it. Best sandbox add on of all time... ever.

Last edited:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
EP1 was ok - I actually prefer it more as a campaign mod for L4D2 actually.

EP2 was superb - really enjoyable. The original HL2 is nearly 6 years old now - well overdue for a proper sequel.

D.

Going to put in another shift after the Grand Prix. Love my shooters. Still heavily into F.E.A.R. 2, and also just started Call of Duty World at War again.

Boom. Headshot. BOOOM! HEADSHOT!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'm going to give it another go again also, from memory I completed HL2 and EP2 although didn't actually finish EP1 IIRC.

Just subscribed to Custom PC and am contenplating a major PC overhaul with a very expensive graphics card at the heart of it all, gulp.

2.2 bar shed.
Just subscribed to Custom PC and am contenplating a major PC overhaul with a very expensive graphics card at the heart of it all, gulp.

I cancelled my Custom PC sub a while ago, far too much good stuff in the mag all the time. Was just trying to get me to spend all my hard earned :p

How does FEAR 2 compare to the original 'trilogy' Roy?

D.

Much better graphics of course. Still superb gunplay and excellent effects. It's not as scary - the atmosphere fails to pull me in quite so much, but it's still very gripping. A really really good game. Probably not as good as the original and its expansions in terms of s**tting ones pants, but the improved graphics and more varied action soften the blow. In fact you could argue it's easier to play because you're not quite so spooked all the time.

It also runs at like a billion frames at vMax on The Beast v3.5 :cool:

EDIT: get it on Steam. Steam FTW!

I'm going to give it another go again also, from memory I completed HL2 and EP2 although didn't actually finish EP1 IIRC.

You know it makes sense. Power PCs are a hobby.