ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hand Held Code Readers...

C3 Picasso Beast
I'm looking to buy a code reader to try and figure out why the car won't start. Had a look on eBay and found these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diagnosti...616?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item460a9038d8 and also found this on KTEC's site http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2400&appid=2

To me these look the same but obviously KTEC's is more. Has anyone used one of these readers before and are they any good?? In particular any info on the eBay one would be good as that's cheaper!

Thanks

Does it have to be a handheld one? I have the simple usb one with the software that came with it(there are others you can download if you do a search too) and its been spot on for me, tells me a few bits of extra data too and easy to use.

Only problem was having my laptop which wasn't really a problem. Was around £15.00 posted too off eBay.

Most handheld code readers will only be able to do simple OBDII codes, i.e. the engine management light so if that isn't even on then it won't return any codes.

That said, they are cheap enough nowadays to buy and they virtually pay for themselves even if it doesn't work on your car the first time as they will come in useful in the future.

ST TDCI
Borrowed one of the cheapy ebay jobs off a mate (very similar looking to the one in the link) and it worked a treat - correctly diagnosed faulty no 4 injector and then I used it to clear the engine management light - bargin (especially as I borrowed it!) For £20-£25 you cant go wrong.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I bought a £15 code reader from ebay and have used it on my cars, mates cars and even strangers cars that come wandering into the garage! It paid for itself within the first 24 hours seeing as my local place charges me £25 for a download. (Admittedly they have a £4000 machine that's considerably better than mine! lol)

C3 Picasso Beast
sounds a lot like you need a new crank (TDC) sensor

If you see this Dan I have now changed the TDC sensor and it's still not starting?!? I know my splicing of the wires I did probably isn't the best but I'm hoping it's OK! Any other suggestions as to what I could try that won't cost me much?? Or alternatively know anyone good who could get the car to you safe without charging me loads?? I know there's garages closer but I really don't want to use one if I can help it!

Thanks

clio sport ph 1
Buy autocom ! You can do alot with them. You can get them (orginal) but you don't want to pay for very exspensive licences etc . Just use cracked software ;)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Last night I began searching for the same thing after I had an EML yesterday, I found this after searching one of dr Jekylls threads

http://bit.ly/SxQ5h0

Looks like just the job for £17.95

That's the one I have, so far it's worked well picking up a few minor issues and switching the EML light off when swapping between my CAT and De-CAT.