ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handbrake seems to be stuck on.

Chris.B

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GT TDi
My car is currently parked on a hill, pointing down the hill.

I let the handbrake down to set off but it seems like the handbrake is stuck on. Obviously, being on a hill it should start to roll down anyway but it doesn't. When I apply some throttle the car pushes down but no movement. Similar if I try to reverse, the car lifts up at the back but no movement.

Has anyone experienced this before and knows how to release it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

Chris.B

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GT TDi
Only been standing over night. I've tried jerking it backwards and forwards. I washed the car yesterday, could water have seized something?

How long ago were the rear shoes replaced?

My old Clio did this and it turned out that the shoes had disintegrated and got themself stuck in the drum, causing it to stick on as if the handbrake was on.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
mine did the same as above!! rear shoes collapsed causing the drum to seize!!

try putting it in reverse and being violent with the clutch a few times to see if its just bonded a little,

failing that its a lot of hammers and crowbars to get the rear drum off the car!

Chris.B

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GT TDi
How long ago were the rear shoes replaced?

My old Clio did this and it turned out that the shoes had disintegrated and got themself stuck in the drum, causing it to stick on as if the handbrake was on.

mine did the same as above!! rear shoes collapsed causing the drum to seize!!

try putting it in reverse and being violent with the clutch a few times to see if its just bonded a little,

failing that its a lot of hammers and crowbars to get the rear drum off the car!

No idea about the rear shoes. It has done it before briefly but I was able to reverse a little bit and it kinda 'popped' out of it.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Are the rear brakes drum or disc? I usually take mine up the road to dry them off after I wash the car otherwise the pads tend to stick if left for any time if they are damp. It could be the handbrake cable is sticking.

Just sounds like the shoes are siezed to me?

Man up and drop the clutch on it, if you're not dragging the tyres down the street then you're haven't tried hard enough yet.

Just pull forward a few feet, then reverse a few feet and repeat till it pops.
The hill makes it more of a challenge though.

yeah i have had same mate.. my rear shoes had collapsed causing a chunk of the shoes to get caught between the drum and wedge itself there...

new shoes job, use a shock hammer to get the drum off ;)